“Friendly people, spotlessly clean establishment”

Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Round Top
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Found this place while researching another resort located nearby. Crystal Brook is billed as a German resort and if you look at the web site it appears that it is all German, all day, every day. The reason I note this is because my husband is German and as soon as I saw the web site I knew he would absolutely love a getaway involving meals like his mother and grandmother used to cook and German music at the Brauhaus. I spoke to the owner when making reservations and explained that this would be a surprise for my husband and that we were looking forward to the German atmosphere. The surprise was on us, though, because no German meals were served, and there was no German entertainment. When I asked our host about this she said that that only takes place during the summer months and since this was September the German food/entertainment is only provided on weekends. I don't know why this wasn't mentioned during our phone conversation, but had I known I would have made reservations for a weekend instead of mid-week. I was disappointed that my surprise didn't work out, but that being said, we did enjoy a relaxing getaway. The meals, though not German, were delicious and the food was plentiful. They even packed a lunch for us the day we went sight seeing. Three meals a day were included in the price, so it was a tremendous bargain. There was music and dancing at the Brauhaus, and we spent an enjoyable evening there. Everyone was lovely, and the room was immaculate...very rustic/dated, but perfectly fine for us. It's definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank rsf5

Reviewed August 25, 2009

I was looking for a German restaurant online and found the Mountain Brauhaus....went and had a delicious saurbraten lunch...checked out the resort..and booked it that week.
The rooms are not luxurious but are absolutely spotless and adequate. The grounds are lovely and the pool and jacuzzi were very nice. The staff was very nice and helpful. Most of the people staying there at the time were in their mid 50s and were extremely friendly. We sat out and made many friends and talked for hours.
The food is as good as it gets. German style but would appeal to anyone. Good home cooked meals and good service. We can't wait to go back again..This will be one of our favorite places to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NyLizzie
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My husband & I just returned from this wonderful retreat............old fashioned comfort, old fashioned diining, just a very pleasant experience! We only stayed one night, but what fun we had at the Brauhaus last evening! Alot of locals wearing ethnic fashions complete the German festivities with lots of singing & dancing and all the fabulous beers and liquors any Kraut would adore! We enjoyed ourselves, and especially enjoyed watching this sweet crowd do it up with the oompah band! This was a rare jem of a resort for anyone needing a place to jjust relax for a weekend. The rooms were rustic, but immaculate. The service was superior, the staff was lovely, the 3 meals per day were awesome home cooked treats.

I highly recommend this getaway treat to married couples, large groups of family or friends. If you bring your kids, make sure to plan ahead with daytime outings, etc. There's not much else for kids to do except the pool. Regardless, we plan to make this our annual August retreat from now on! Das Himmelstor!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank moellerkraut2
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I have never stayed at the resort, but frequent the Brauhaus when i am in NY. Go have a beer and enjoy either dancing or watching to the um pah pah band,,usually a good size crowd there whirling around the dancefloor. Incredible olde world architecture. Enjoy

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ERRN95
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked this place just for one night and we both wished we could have stayed longer.

The price of the room includes three meals and the food was very yummy and tasted like your german grandma made it. The Jaeger Snitzel rocked! The on-site beer hall has some great german brew and there is a late night polka band. The sound proofing on the rooms wasn't great but the pool looked nice and we loved the homey feel of it all.

I hope New York City transplants start to discover some of the old school NY getaways like this one. If you like retro and want to get away from the city scene, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank mslaurats
Reviewed July 19, 2007

This wonderful small hotel is a throwback to the 50's when things were simple...no phones in the rooms, no computer hook-ups, cell phones barely work on round top mountain...
but it is a real relaxing place to get away from the world.
Everything is super clean, and works antique furniture covered with lace dolies, and old fashioned curtains...great service and delicious German style food...Limited selection on the food, but it tastes great...3 meals a day...the air is clean and the pool and hot tub work fine. The roads are hilly and make for great hikes, but try the simple trails that glide by a bubbling brook and take you to a covered bridge or waterfall. There are also nice golf courses in the area, and the nearby town of Catskill is an artsy place with galleries and antique places....nice to visit...there are also concerts on weekends.
Family operated for years...Wendy is a dream and even entertains the children. The music in the nearby Brauhaus is accordians, polkas, and waltzes of days gone by.
Rates are very reasonable. Place is very special and people return for years....

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
7  Thank peter39
Reviewed March 19, 2005

I came upon the Brauhaus three summers ago as I was searching for
another German Restaurant in the area. Being the middle of the afternoon,
I was the only customer but was immediately impressed with the decor
and especially the variety of German beers on tap (and bottled). Seeing
a menu, I knew I'd be back soon, and the next night I returned to find the
place hopping with a two person oompah band and a lot of happy dancers.
It turns out, this is a destination for a lot of local folks as well as the people
staying at the hotel across the street. I met a fellow at the bar who is from
Germany (near Landshut, 45 km NE of Munich) and he was quite content.
I lucked out, getting the last weinerschnitzel available that night, and it
was just fine. Having returned several times since, the happy vibe
continues and the food still rings my bell. This is straightforward German
home cooking like my grandma used to make and the prices are most
reasonable. The people I've met there are a freindly lot and I'll continue
to visit when I'm in the area. Prost!

Stayed: January 2005
#1 of 7 in Windham
Diamond Mills Hotel
Diamond Mills Hotel
#1 of 6 in Saugerties

Been to Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus? Share your experiences!