“Great Place To Get Away !!!!!”
Review of Glen Falls House

Glen Falls House
Ranked #2 of 3 Round Top B&B and Inns
“Great Place To Get Away !!!!!”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

First of all my girlfriends and I come here every year...I think this might be our 9th year? We have a ball. Maria and Rich are the nicest people and run a very nice resort. We all look forward to this weekend it is known as Girlfriends Weekend. A lot of the same groups of women come back year after year and they seem to have a great time too. Its a great place to getaway from the hustle and bustle of the big city and just relax. The food is GREAT...home cooked and the service is great too. We also have fun at the tavern...DJ. Kereoke....Bands...that play good music. Stacey the bartender is very nice and makes sure you have a drink when empty..lol..Glad you are back Stacey xo We are leaving Fri. 5.31.13 to The Glen Falls House..can't wait to get there. Good Times..Good Times. Had by ALL...Thanks Maria and Rich..and all of the staff at GFH...Looking Forward to seeing you guys..xoxo. Geraldine Cullinane

• Stayed May 2013

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed February 5, 2013

If you are looking for a hot spot, this isn't it. If you are looking to spend quality time with your kids- go for it. The accommodations are very clean but the bathrooms are a bit dated. Beds were comfy and our room was spacious. My kids loved the pool- and we loved that it went from 2' to deep- so we could enjoy a light read. There are 3 playgrounds, shuffleboard, ping pong, easy hiking trails, volleyball, horseshoes, and tennis. The German inspired food was awesome (and I thought it was great that I didn't have to cook/think about food) my oldest loved ringing the dinner bell!

There isn't much in the area- we did go to Howe caverns and we hit the drive in. When we went the big waterfall was experiencing a drought- so we choose not to hike it. The state park is nice (boating /fishing)

Overall this was a great time with family- and isn't that what it's all about?

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank M2He
Secaucus NJ
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have been going to glen Falls house for the past 20 years for Labor Day weekend. It is the most relaxing weekend you can imagine. There is an air of oldtime catskills resorts there - you have a room with private bath and meals - breakfast lunch and dinner - are included. The food is all home cooked - comfort food meets german cuisine - it is the german side of the catsills. The grounds are lovely - the pool is great albeit pretty cold because the water is from the spring fed creek - so it is crystal clear but cold as the mountain water! There is a tavern on site and there is nightly entertainment. It is a wonderful place for couples or families - dont expect a boutique fancy resort - this is a very low key, clean wonderful place to spend a weekend that is reasonably priced. You cannot ask for more. We hope to be able to go there for another 20 years - we just love it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank debpez1990
Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Well, "interesting" would be an understatement. Let me cut to the chase and then fill you in on details around these comments. Would I go back? Since that, in my opinion, is really your bottom line statement on your overall experience, allow me to say "no". But, let me also say, it's not because of many of the things below that I rated as "Average" or below, ironically enough. No, unfortunately, the reason I would not go back is because of the lack of personal attention the proprietorship paid my family, specifically. Firstly, "hospitality plus" would not be a term I would use to describe the proprietorship, here. Pretty much every one of your "experiences" (check-in, meals, entertainment) involves interaction with the proprietors, which would not be a problem if it were only with the husband of the husband-and-wife ownership. To be fair, by no means would I call Maria incompetent with customer relations, but let's just say it's not her strongest attribute. On more than one occasion, I observed, and was party to, Maria's seeking empathy from her patrons for what were obvious oversights on routine service. Specifically, informing your patrons that the reason there are no towels available for the pool because "you are just too busy" is something I would think they teach you is never an acceptable response in any situation for a B&B owner. But, maybe I am in the minority.

Now, let me tell you, as my wife put it "they have the meal thing down". The meals are definitely the highlight of the experience. If you are going here as a reward to yourself for losing 12 pounds the past 6 weeks, I'd recommend you turn around and go home. You will NOT lose weight here. The food is German-American, down-home, good cooking. Every meal includes butter as a primary condiment. I will even say, being a non-traditional American food consumer, they even have their "vegetarian" options well developed. If you are truly going somewhere in the Catskills for the "all inclusive" experience with a good menu, I would have to say you might have a tough time beating GFH.

In terms of "overall experience", it's a very unique offering. As far as I can tell, most of the folks who go to GFH have been going there for years (and I mean "years", like 30 plus, etc.) and tend to go there the same week every year. End result: you are basically at a week-long "family reunion". And, I must honestly say, we found that to be the most valued part of the experience. The folks we met there were some of the most welcoming and friendly folks I have ever met. We literally felt like we were welcomed in to family by the time the week was over. My wife and I even joked that it seemed like everyone there was celebrating a birthday (as my wife did while we there) and had kids who were 7 and 4 (as we do).

If you are looking to be pampered in the Catskills, this is not your place. If you are looking for a good place to take kids where you don't need to worry about how you dress or even act, quite frankly, this is a good option. Having dug into the history of the Catskills a bit, it seems the "hey day" has long come and gone. Read as: many of the resorts that were probably once considered "well-groomed" have aged and are in need of some serious updating. I would say GFH fits this bill. That being said, they are still operating, which is far better an outcome than that which patrons of the Friar Tuck Inn and other famous Catskill resorts can boast.

Room Tip: We actually had a well located room on the "south side" of the property, known as the &quo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Jeff J
rich_glenfallshouse, Owner at Glen Falls House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I can see by the length and detail of your review that you are very passionate about your travel experience. We are sorry you did not feel you received the personal service and attention you and your family deserved. We do try to spend time with all our guests and make them feel welcome. It is not our policy to seek empathy from our guests or state that we are "too busy" to do any service for them. We pride ourselves on going out of our way for our guests but \, do understand how comments you might have heard could be misinterpreted. We appreciate you feedback and wish you well on your future travels.
Malta, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I were given a weekend away at this by my mother. It looks nice from the web but please don't let those pictures fool you, it is not really a charming B&B but more of an outdated inn.

The food was good, German-inspired as you would expect from being in the Catskills. The waiter that we had was excellent!

The sleep quality was very poor. There was a family reunion going on the same weekend that we stayed and it was VERY noisy until all hours of the night. They really should have a noise curfew.

The rooms were interesting. It looks like someone just chunked rooms out of a larger area - hard to describe, but strange. As others have said, there are no amenities that many of us have come to expect.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Bill P
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here in July because of a LivingSocial Deal. The food was good and the environment is low key. The hiking trails there aren't that difficult and there were more families there than couples. The rooms are ok even though I found it weird that the bathroom sink was in the room instead of the bathroom. Probably wouldn't go again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gescot1
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Been going since 1976 and have never been disappointed. Great atmosphere, food and price.

Room Tip: Its best to call ahead as all rooms are not equal. They are always updating the rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Riedlbauer's Resort
Riedlbauer's Resort
#3 of 4 in Round Top
Crystal Brook Resort & Mountain Brauhaus

Been to Glen Falls House? Share your experiences!