“Quite a Surprise”
Review of Mim's Restaurant

Mim's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mim's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: One of Long Island's most popular neighborhood restaurants, Mim's serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer a full lunch and dinner menu with daily specials in the dining room and the bar. Behind the bar, an outstanding wine list, local micro-brews and a large selection of hand-crafted specialty cocktails are offered. Private parties, large groups & special events are welcome, with private dining & event space available. Mim's is known for welcoming guests with excellent value and warm hospitality.
Garden City, NY
“Quite a Surprise”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The food was wonderful and the service was top notch. My daughter, who is extremely fussy, had a smile when we finshed our dinner. What impressed me was that the server offered to get me a sample of the wine I asked her about to see if I wanted to order a glass. This was our first visit and we will return. There is a reason why the parking lot was fiull at 6PM. We took advantage of the prix-fix whcih was a bargain,. Great coffee too.

• Visited March 2013

Lawrence, New York
“Another great meal at Mims.”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We visit Mim's every few months or so. We dined there last night to celebrate my mother's birthday. The food was excellent and the service was great. Our waitress, Stacy, was top notch. She was extremely friendly and very attentive to our party. I even enjoyed my shrimp with feta and spinach again for lunch today. We will definitely return to Mim's.

• Visited March 2013
Mineola, New York
“A neighborhood standby, never disappoints!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

As usual the food was great and the pre-fixe was an excellent value. The only issue we ever have it this place is the staff. On our last trip the waitress was gruff and very stand offish. For the most part everything there is positive except for some of the staff.

New York
“Good food; good service. It's just that simple.”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We go here every six months or so and wonder why it's been so long since we returned!

They do many dishes well-simple grilled fish or meat. Italian entrees. Specialty pizza. Asian cuisine. Fresh veggies. A variety of side dishes. The servers are knowledgeable and personable.

My ONLY complaint? The bread is BLAH. Lousy foccaccia. OK, so big deal. I frequently try to limit my carbs, so I often avoid the bread anyway. They serve it with a little bit of hummos, which is a nice touch.

My seared tuna with sauteed bok choy was yummy; companion's grilled salmon with sauteed broccoli were likewise.

I love this restauant.

• Visited January 2013
New York City, New York
“A steady decline...”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I were excited to try Mim's based on a recommendation by a friend. We were seated right away in lovely room that was warm and inviting and it was a booth so the night started off great! We were early enough for the sunset special which was a three-course meal reasonably priced at $24.95. Our waitress was a nice young girl who never told us her name but she was very professional...until I couldn't decide what to get and asked her about four different meals. She made faces about each one. The chicken wasn't enough food, the meatloaf was nothing special, etc. I finally asked what the restaurant was known for and she said, "nothing really". My husband and I were laughing about this later because we eat out at wonderful restaurants very frequently and we've never had a waiter or waitress that was so unenthusiastic about the food that they couldn't even recommend a dish, or at least not put down most of what was on the menu! We ordered appetizers which we split and they were wonderful...buffalo chicken spring rolls with vermont cheddar cheese and a portabella mushroom with spinach, red pepper and balsamic vinegar. We were very excited about our meals considering how good the apps were tasting! Unfortunately that's where the pleasant experience ended and the rest of the night became a race to get out of there. There was only one family in the restaurant at the time and the rest were couples and one group of 3....the children were very loud and were walking back and forth yelling and fighting with one another. I heard the mother tell them to shush a couple of times but they didn't listen. Then, two waitresses got into an argument and were yelling at one another about 10 feet from where we were seated. We were shocked! We couldn't believe this behavior in a place of business by two employees. The manager never came to see what was going on and it just continued. We looked over a couple of times but it didn't seem to matter. Anyway, we were quite disturbed and when our meals came, I was quite shocked to see that the chicken pot pie was nothing more than chicken soup in a bechamel sauce with a square of puff pastry on top. My husband had pork osso bucco with parmesan risotto. He liked his food. We both stopped way short of the end so we could enjoy dessert. No one every came over to clean off the table after dinner....they just took the plates and gave us dessert spoons. We waited quite awhile for the dessert but it was okay because it was a warm apple crumble with vanilla ice creams so we figured it was being made from scratch or at the very least, heated in the oven! Well after all that time, we got the coldest apple crumble we had ever eaten...the crumble which is meant to be served warm with the ice cream slightly melting over it, was hard and dry...what a disappointment! It was the icing on the cake to an evening that was a steady decline of enjoyment. I asked my husband if he wanted to give it another try in a couple of months and he gave me an emphatic, "NO". There are too many good restaurants on Long Island to go back to the mediocre ones. This had tremendous potential when we walked in but after disruptive children, a waitress that doesn't like the food she's serving, other waitstaff fighting, a meal that wasn't what it should have been and a dessert not fit for a fast food restaurant, we decided it was not a place we would return.

• Visited January 2013