“Old, tired, and sad”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Roslyn
Los Angeles, California
“Old, tired, and sad”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I've stayed at The Roslyn 3 or 4 times over the past 5 years. Every time I've stayed at this hotel I've left disappointed. But after my stay here this past weekend, I can confidently say it will be my last.

First, let me say the good things about the hotel - the location is very convenient and access is very easy. The common areas of the hotel are very nice, and the "Library" bar is very cozy. The halls of the hotel are a beautiful hunter green with brass sconce lighting handsomely decorating the walls. But after that, I can say nothing glowing.

I arrived this past Friday evening, parked, and went to the front desk. I could see the desk attendant in an alcove type space behind the front desk. I waited 4 to 6 minutes before he even stopped doing whatever it was he was doing back there. When he finally came to the desk he never said hello, smiled or welcomed me to the Roslyn. He just glared at me like I had interrupted something important. I finally said I'd like to check in. He literally grunted "name" and then he very efficiently checked me in. He never said welcome, thank you, have a nice stay. And honestly, while he was well dressed, handsome, and even efficient, his unfriendly demeanor was reflective of the rest of the hotel.

When I opened my room door memories of past stays flooded my brain. My rooms was on the smallish slide, and I had an executive king room at $160 a night. The room decor is just HORRID - sort of Laura Ashley, cross-bred with Ikea modern, with highlights of worn and old. While the drapes and bed coverings were custom made I'm sure, they're long past "fresh and new". The walls of this hotel are SUPER SUPER thin and I could literally hear every word the folks in the room next to me said to one another and I could hear their television plainly. Now mind you, the people next door were not being loud, obnoxious, or unruly. They were simply talking with one another while watching television. I can tell you the DETAILS of their conversation, that's how clearly I could hear them. The hotel has a sort of "open" center and the hallways of the hotel overlook the lovely "Library". But since the rooms are not sound proof, the noises that come from folks enjoying an evening libation are annoying.

Additionally, the mattress in my room was old, hard, and uncomfortable. The room didn't offer a comfortable chair to enjoy television - the only option was to get into bed - there was an old style Martha Washing chair jammed in the corner beside the tv - however you couldn't sit there and relax. The room didn't have ample plugs, so charging an iphone or trying to plug in a laptop and find a convenient place to work and watch tv was a problem.

The thing I find absolutely amusing is that this hotel calls itself a "boutique experience". I've stayed at wonderful boutique style hotels. This place is certainly not even a Ramada Inn. If it wants to live up to a boutique experience they first need to train their staff to be super service oriented, they need to enclose the Library for sound issues, they need to rip out every wall and insulate so that the rooms are sound proof, the rooms need to be decorated in a modern style, the mattresses need to be replaced, the bathrooms totally refreshed, and electrical updated, and maybe they could add a bellman, and other boutique style services.

Old, tired, sad... I think these are pretty accurate adjectives for this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here two nights for an event that was held in the party room at the hotel. The event was well done and the food was excellent. However the hotel rooms, lobby and hallways are very worn and outdated. There were many places with worn out carpeting, dusty areas, chipped paint many places in our room, and rust stains on the ceiling in the bedroom. The room has a thermostat with only 'on' or 'off' and then only 'high' 'medium' or 'low' so it was very hard to regulate the temperature. The only benefit was that the party we were attending was held there so we had little driving to do.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The inside is beautiful, as far as midrange hotels go. Staff was mostly great, room was clean, and for just about $120, I have nothing to complain about. I loved the feel inside the hotel itself.

However, I must say that two nights in a row the shower did not provide hot water and that was very disappointing, moreso because we were told it was being addressed.

A small note is that the breakfast buffet was cleaned up at 9:50am before 10am, even though I was still in the middle of grabbing food. No attempt to acknowledge that. Not a big deal in the large scheme of things, but that's an off-putting gesture when they're supposed to be looking out for you.

Aside from those things, I thought the reception desk was fantastic, the hotel itself is beautiful enough to want to stroll around, and the lounge was both comfortable and picturesque.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ewing, NJ
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Just spent a night at Roslyn Hotel with several family members (we had a block of rooms) celebrating a milestone event in the area. Hotel was clean and room comfortable but we had several problems with one room as the toilet backed up and we woke up to find there was no toilet paper. Staff was responsive enough but it made for a very stressful time as we were dressing for the affair. Heat had two settings in room, furnace and off so we just left it off and made the best of it as a Noreaster blew through the area. We were able to get a good night sleep and the location was perfect given the weather. Hotel is a bit dated and tired overall. Complimentary breakfast buffet was fair. Wouldn't be my first choice if we returned to the area but you could do worse.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We used this hotel recently for our wedding and had 80+ guests staying there. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The hotel is quaint, clean, and comfortable. We had vendors (hair & makeup) coming to the hotel and there was plenty of room in the bridal suite for everyone to get done. We hosted a private breakfast for our guests the morning after the wedding, and the food was plentiful and delicous. I would recommend this hotel to anyone with a large group such as a wedding.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Louis A
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Stayed here over Thanksgiving. Room 317 was clean and cozy. I had previously requested no feathers and was told hotel did not use down pillows however upon arrival there was one down pillow. The pillow was quickly replaced. The service was wonderful and the Front Desk staff very helpful. The breakfast was great and offered a wide variety of choices. Any problem that I had was quickly addressed and rectified. It is an old hotel and could use a little sprucing up - closet doors do not close well; furniture was dated .

Room Tip: 317 overlooking the parking lot was quiet
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Poughkeepsie
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Overall our stay was good. Atmosphere was nice and clean. Only concern was that when we accidentally left a item behind in the room, we had to call 3 times to see if cleaning staff located it and we were told no. When our friend came to try to pick up the item for us, he walked right in the room and found it! Therefore we were not sure how concerned the staff was for locating the item for us.

• Stayed November 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roslyn
Holiday Inn Express ROSLYN - MANHASSET AREA
Inn at Great Neck, BW Premier Collection
Viana Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
Garden City Hotel
Garden City Hotel
#2 of 4 in Garden City
Hilton Garden Inn Roslyn

Been to The Roslyn Hotel? Share your experiences!