“Saved the day!”

1850 House Inn & Tavern
Ranked #1 of 2 Rosendale B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My friends and I biked to the 1850 House from New Paltz to have a beer and bike back. Unfortunately it is closed on Tuesday's, but we ran into the owner and he directed Us up the road to another establishment. We had our beer and returned to our bikes which we had locked at the 1850 House. When unlocking the bikes the key broke in the lock. The owner came by and offered Us his truck to drive Us and our bikes back to New Paltz (he does not know any of Us) and said just return it the next day. He then comes out with a drill and proceeds to drill many holes in the lock and gets it to open so we can bike back to New Paltz.

Last year we came here and was impressed by the establishment and owner (very friendly), so we returned this year. This year he goes above and beyond to help Us. I can not image this is not a great place to stay and I can guarantee it it a great part of the world to visit. Thanks for the help!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I'm curled up in bed for the night (Room #1) as I write this. The room overlooks the Rondout Creek through a couple of nice big windows; I'm looking forward to appreciating the morning view mentioned by another reviewer.

The innkeepers have done an amazing job of restoring this building, though I doubt it ever reached these heights even in its heyday, back when a few of my female ancestors worked here. Everything in my room is immaculately clean and orderly without looking at all sterile. Although I haven't had much time yet to explore the whole building, what I've seen of the public spaces so far is much nicer, cozier and more elegant than indicated by the somewhat stark photos you'll see on the hotel's website. In décor, they've managed to pull off a good cross between energetic and tasteful, which isn't easy. There's a real "I love Rosendale" vibe everywhere you look.

Something I find interesting is that the hotel seems not to be generally accessible to passersby, as most hotels are. To get inside after (or before) office hours, you must have the keys to the front door and your room that are provided upon registration. As a woman traveling alone, I appreciate this consideration of 1850 guests' security.

The adjustable AC operated by remote control in my room is perfect. The fan is quiet and provides a pleasant white noise ambience that helps to mask occasional Main Street traffic noises without creating a draft. Guests visiting “Frozendale” in winter will appreciate the faux-flame electric stove, also controlled via remote. Nice touch, that.

In closing, I confess that want to take this bed home with me: I haven't experienced one so ultra-comfy since the last time I stayed at an Omni :)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The 1850 House Inn & Tavern is a wonderful place for a weekend getaway. I was recently there with 3 of my college friends. It was a weekend away with no children or husbands. The suite room was very spacious for the 4 of us. The staff was very friendly and very accommodating. They were more than happy to give advise on where to explore in the area and places to try for meals. They serve breakfast and it was very tasty. In would recommend this establishment to anybody who just wants to get away from it all. It is located just 7 miles from New Paltz, NY, a fun little town with lots if little shops. Enjoy!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Amy S, Manager at 1850 House Inn & Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2013

Thank you Cindi! We enjoyed having you here as well and hope to see you and the girls back soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We have made several trips to the Hudson Valley winery area over the past few years. The 1850 House Inn & Tavern was in the low key and very small downtown of Rosendale. The owner (Mike) and Inn Keeper (Amy) were very nice and we enjoyed spending time with them. Amy also makes a very nice breakfast every morning. The Inn was completely remodeled and it is very clean. Being a very old building the hardwood floors are original and beautiful but can be noisey but who goes to wine country to sleep in?
There is a very comfortable and large lounge area with a fireplace attached to the tavern for breakfast or coffee or to sit with a glass of wine. The property backs up to a small river and there are a few places to eat right on the same block.
Bottom line is the 1850 House is a nice quiet place to visit with some character and charm but the nice people is what will have us return.

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortbable but only 3 have king beds. The West room and room 8 on the third floor...
1  Thank SeanK1
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I spent one night at the 1850 House in April 2013 and had a very good time there. Quiet location, great newly renovated room, lots of charm, and very friendly staff. Couple of bars and restaurants at walking distance.

1  Thank V0yage22
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were looking for a place to just chill for a weekend after a very busy few months and couldn't have found anything better. As my husband said about our stay here, we didn't just use the Inn (and Tavern) as a home-base but used it as a home. We felt totally welcomed and taken care of at this beautifully restored yet not overly-done inn and tavern. We wanted as quiet a room as possible so we were given a room on the top floor overlooking the Rondout River. That room (and the one across the hall) is a little smaller than the other rooms at the Inn but even my husband, at 6'1" and preferring larger spaces, agreed that we would request that room on our next stay. The Tavern was where we spent both of our evenings and not because we're particularly drinkers, but because we so enjoyed the people there, from the bartender who daily prepares delicious "small plate" foods that we gobbled down, to the innkeeper, the owners and local people who stop by. As another reviewer wrote: affordable luxury - well done!!

1  Thank LizLS55
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My husband stumbled upon this place while we were traveling in the New Paltz area, and all I can say is that I am SO glad he did. It's every bit as gorgeous as all of the other reviewers have described it. (Oddly enough, we're from Brooklyn too.) Modern, cozy, comfortable, full of historic charm, and not an ounce of pretension in the entire place. JKBrooklyn, you nailed it - "a thoughtful, tasteful remodeling of a historic building." We loved it and instantly felt at home.

The owner, Mike, is an awesome host and kept us entertained at the bar. He had lots of great tips for places to go and things to do in the area - stuff we would definitely have missed out on otherwise. (ask him about the nearby cave!)

We looked at a few rooms before choosing one, and I'd say you can't go wrong - such attention to detail in each room. Every room we saw was gorgeous and unique. We decided on one that looked out onto trees and the river. It came with a sweet little gas fireplace, which was a treat. The bathroom was immaculate and stocked with just about every thing you could possibly want or need - totally impressed by this. Also loved the cozy bathrobes - another great bonus. But on to the bed...oh, my god, the bed. Unbelievably comfortable mattress and sheets that were specially loomed for the hotel - and were absolutely decadent. It was a truly luxurious night of sleep.

We'll definitely be coming back here. First rate quality at an amazingly affordable price. Awesome hospitality, excellent bar and staff, plenty of rooms to explore and relax in...play one of the many games they have stocked or check out one of the many books. Or just sit in the back room and gaze out at the water. If you can manage to get out of your ridiculously comfortable bed, that is.

Rosendale is terrific - some great little cafes, shops, and a movie theater that has excellent programming - all in all a great base for hiking at Minnewaska, checking out the Mohonk Preserve and exploring the New Paltz / Woodstock / Kingston areas. If you visit, do yourself a favor and stay here!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrooklynKitKat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rosendale
Minnewaska Lodge
Stonegate Bed and Breakfast
ElmRock Inn Bed and Breakfast
ElmRock Inn Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 6 in Stone Ridge

Been to 1850 House Inn & Tavern? Share your experiences!