“Great Value and Location”

Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ronkonkoma
Cumberland, Rhode Island
“Great Value and Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Traveled for business with 3 others to Long Island. Found a great rate online and was very happy with the choice. The property is easy to find, located near Islip Airport. Central located on LI for our needs. The reception staff was poliet, courteous and prompt. The rooms are clean and spacious. The gym and pool area are small but adequate and well maintained. The lobby is very pleasing to the eye and comfortable. We also had breakfast which for a buffet-type breakfast was very good but a bit expensive. The most important feature of this property for a business traveler was that the rooms are QUIET! I heard no hallway noise, adjoining room noises, the doors have quiet shut hinges, the ice machine is located near elevators in behind it's own door. For business travel I feel a clean quiet room is the only real requirements and I was most pleased in this aspect. I would not hesitate to stay here again or recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
north massapequa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

great hotel, Great service. The people at the desk were warm and inviting. Went to a wedding and the couple suggested that we stay at the Hilton garden inn. I am a giant fan of the Hilton hotels and never had any problems with any of them so we stayed over. The price was a bit much for one night. but I was drunk so I dont remember much.

Oakdale, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

Hotel was easy to get to and near airport and major highways. The room was large and comfortable. The only disappointment was the additional charge for breakfast. If you are traveling I would recommend this property for a stay over.

North Fort Myers
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great hotel staff, cleanliness, comfort - love those beds. However, get ready to pay for your breakfast after being OVERCHARGED for the room!!! This took the air out of our balloon. We don't mind paying a fair rate - especially if there are no other hotels in the area. However, there were other hotels that had a room and breakfast for FAR less. We made a mistake moving to this hotel just because it was closer to our destination.

Chardon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed here four nights in June for a combination business/pleasure trip. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful although they did not seem empowered to resolve issues. We had specifically picked this hotel due to the pool although it was closed upon our arrival. The front desk staff indicated that it may open the next day although it stayed closed over our entire visit and I believe even after our visit according to later reviews. They offered no other options which was a disappointment. I also thought that paying over $200 a night for Garden Inn was obsessive and then having to add another $25 - $30 for breakfast was definitely not a value. We also experienced the maids removing personnel items from our room (wine glasses) which were returned. A logical mistake that we do not blame them for although still a bit of a hassle. Overall our room was good and far enough away from the wedding group that was in the hotel at the time so there extra noise was not bothersome to us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

My Granddaughter's Baptism was at 2PM. and check in at the hotel was at 3PM. The staff at the hotel allowed me to check in early. This permitted me to drive to Long Island in casual clothing and change to more formal clothing for the baptism. The staff was very accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Gansevoort, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I recently stayed here for 8 nights on a business trip to the area. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. All were great, but Ali, Tom and Matt were exceptional.
My room on the 4th floor was very nice and I had no issues with comfort, cleanliness or amenities. I thought it a little odd the maids left their carts in the hallways at all times of day and night which cluttered the halls a bit but otherwise no complaints about the appearance or upkeep of this nice hotel.
Unfortunately the pool was closed the entire week I was here as they were filling the hot tub in with concrete and re-tiling over it since they are unable to comply with new laws that require them to make the hot tub handicap accessible with a hydraulic lift like they did for the pool itself. There just isn't enough room to add that feature to the hot tub so we all lose out as they had to close it permanently. I wish that situation had been made clearer to the staff as I asked about the pool each day and was told it was expected to open the next day. .....with the same answer every day all week. Hmmmm I finally got the real story from the Hotel Manager and Customer Relations Manager when I ran into them at the bar across the street one night. They were both outstanding to talk to and genuinely seemed interested in addressing any issues I had and even though this was well outside business hours, they still cared what their guests had to say.

The breakfast buffet in the mornings is fairly well stocked and for around $15 you can get pretty much all of the normal food items you'd expect from an American hotel including eggs cooked to order. Service in this area was hit and miss though. One day there was staff that took your order and brought it to you and another day while I was sitting there waiting for service, I was told I had to go get it myself. Ok, no problem, just a little consistency would be nice....either way. One day there was no breakfast service at all since apparently there weren't enough guests to justify opening it. A side trip to Starbucks before work served me well that day. Most days though the hotel had a good crowd and breakfast service went smoothly.
The bar is pretty small for the crowd they often get and it closes at 10pm. ....even though there was still a paying crowd that wanted to drink while watching the Stanley Cup final, the bartender closed the bar and left promptly at 10. A little flexibility there would have been nice. The food was good but the menu rather limited which caused me to only eat there 2 of the 8 nights I was staying in town. Fortunately there is a great Italian restaurant, Mama Mias, across the street that is a short walk across the parking lot and I had a few excellent meals there.

I had no issues with my key card working to let me in any of the exterior hotel doors after hours as some other reviews have mentioned. Perhaps that has been addressed and fixed.

Overall, my experience here at the hotel was very good and only had a terrible experience one night due to drunken wedding guests and a baseball team staying on the 4th floor making considerable noise at various times of the night. Unfortunately for me, the adjacent room to mine even broke out into a domestic dispute that spilled out into the hallway in the middle of the night and police had to come. I called the front desk when this all started and they were doing their best to manage the ugly situations but there just wasn't enough staff to handle all the drunk loud guests. Maybe they should add additional staff when they know they are going to have a full hotel of late night wedding guests that are prone to being noisy. I've been on the other side of that situation and understand completely but for a business guest that has to get up early the next morning for work, it's not pleasant. If that had been the only night I had stayed at the hotel, my rating would have been quite different and I probably wouldn't be returning. Since the rest of my experience was peaceful and without serious issue, I do plan to stay here again when I'm back in town on business in the future.
Truly, had I not run into the management staff at the bar across the street and the way they handled my concerns, my rating would be a little lower, but they salvaged my opinion and I believe they were going to address the issues I experienced.

Room Tip: A 4th Floor end room would be the best choice for a quiet stay.