“Delicious Everything”

Cuisines: Seafood
Douglaston, New York
“Delicious Everything”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped by for lunch and everything was delicious. Even with all the frying, we had wonderful clams and fried fish. Great french fries. Will return to try the clam chowder and other things on the menu, Good job Bigelow's! Bad for your diet but good for your stomach!

• Visited July 2013

New York City, New York
“Fried clams to satisfy a New Englander”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I was raised in Southern New England, not far from Ipswich, famous for the soft-shelled "steamer" or "belly" clams. Having tried this style of fried clams in many venues (I refuse to order the frozen variety or "clam strips"), Bigelows makes a pretty darned good fried clam, which is its signature item. There are many other fried (and non-fried) seafood items on the menu, but you want to come for the Ipswich fried clams (I also recommend the fried oysters). This is a super casual, counter service only restaurant where credit cards are not accepted (but there's an available ATM). This place is Zagat's rated and has been reviewed by the NY Times. It is an institution dating back to the 30's but has changed ownership several times. Notwithstanding, the dishes I am familiar with have not changed over the 25 years I have been eating here. If you've never had good New England fried clams, this is a place that will spoil you. If you are a fried clam lover, you probably already know about the legendary Bigelow's.

• Visited June 2013
“A great leftover from long ago”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I've lived in the area forever and passed by Bigelow's literally hundreds if not thousands of times. I always wanted to stop, but simply never did until today.

What a GREAT place leftover from the 1930's and not much has changed. Yes, there is only counter service and no credit cards, nothing fancy, but this is how it was when Bigelow's first opened in 1939 and this is what makes it a special kind of place.

I ordered the Manhattan Clam Chowder and I have to say it was one of the best I have ever had. I also had a shrimp sandwich which was done perfect. I miss ordered (my fault) and should have ordered it with a side of their homemade cole slaw. I was disappointed when I saw others with the cole slaw. Next time I'll order the cole slaw which should be real soon.

You can keep all of the fast food chain places, this is the place to go when in Rockville Centre New York ....... I cannot wait to go back.

• Visited June 2013
Woodmere, New York
“To Die For”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

If you are a FRIED clam lover like I am, theb this is the place for you.

It's really to die for. But beware this place has counter service only.

• Visited May 2013
New York City, New York
“Rainy day smile”
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Excellent food and service on a rainy day. Everything fresh and made in front of you. Soup is unbelievable

• Visited May 2013