“Go there!!!”

Bayside, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go there!!!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Spectacular! Last weekend I held my daughter's baby shower at Chat Noir. There is not a single thing I would change. Emma and her staff are wonderful. Attentive without getting in the way, helpful, accommodating and gracious. Anthony, one of the servers re-arranged tables and schlepped giant packages with a smile on his face. He was truly happy to help. Emma is low key and very professional, she really knows her stuff and has a great sense of humor. When I was Spectacular! Last weekend I held my daughter's baby shower at Chat Noir. There is not a single thing I would change. Emma and her staff are wonderful. Attentive without getting in the way, helpful, accommodating and gracious. Anthony, one of the servers re-arranged tables and schlepped giant packages with a smile on his face. He was truly happy to help. Emma is low key and very professional, she really knows her stuff and has a great sense of humor. When I was making my tea selection she said "now let's pick something less boring" And she was right. I took her advise and everyone loved the choices she guided me to. All special requests (there were quite a few) were taken care of without any issue. The restaurant itself is very pretty. The food was delicious and plentiful. The following morning my son had a leftover scone and he said "where have you been all of my life?" We had the tea service which was elegantly presented. I would not hesitate to have another party there. I think I am out of superlatives! Thank you Emma and staff for making us feel so special on this very special occasion.making my tea selection she said "now let's pick something less boring" And she was right. I took her advise and everyone loved the choices she guided me to. All special requests (there were quite a few) were taken care of without any issue. The restaurant itself is very pretty. The food was delicious and plentiful. The following morning my son had a leftover scone and he said "where have you been all of my life?" We had the tea service which was elegantly presented. I would not hesitate to have another party there. I think I am out of superlatives! Thank you Emma and staff for making us feel so special on this very special occasion.

• Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Good Average Choice”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Chat Noir is very average. The food is good, but definitely could be better. The decor is nice but sparse (and not in a good way). And the service seemed to be the same. Our waiter was quick to bring menus and then disappeared for awhile. We ordered things that he wrote down, repeated back to us to verify, and still managed to forget. We said we didn't need anything wrapped and yet he still brought a bag with our extra scones. They serve Harney & Sons which is an excellent tea and the selection isn't bad. Its definitely more of a cafe than tea house. Three of us went, we had scones, croque monsieur, and the bananas foster french toast. My friend like the chocolate scone but really didn't care for the dried orange. The croque monsieur was a little lacking in béchamel sauce and the ham was flavorless. The bananas foster french toast was good but they didn't burn off all the alcohol like you should. While these are small things they make a huge difference. All in all chat noir clearly has great potential its just not there yet.

• Visited June 2014
Trinidad
“A quaint patisserie : lots of charm ; delicious pastry”
Reviewed June 3, 2014

We stumbled across this tea house walking around the town for some breakfast. It was late so we decided to get something light with some tea. We ordered the continental which is a basket of baked goods definitely enough for two. The chocolate croissant was absolutely lovely and the scones very tasty. There is a wide selection of teas . We tried to go back the following day as I really wanted to try the French toast but it was completely booked . Recommended if you want a quiet delicious but light meal .

Visited May 2014
Lido Beach, New York
“Service Without a Smile, But a Great Menu”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Had brunch here today with three friends. The ambiance is very Parisian, with pictures of the Eiffel Tower, topiaries, flowers,lace curtains, wainscotting, and old, wood flooring. SO many great choices on the menu from which to choose. We all loved our choices; HUGE bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit on top, Goat cheese and tomato quiche with very nicely-sized side salad, filling Bananas Foster french toast, bacon and cheese quiche, also with side salad. The tea menu offering black, green, decaf, and fruited oolong teas is quite large, with esoteric choices such as creme brulee, chocolate mint, mango passion, and coconut truffle. Plus many others, as well as the more traditional Earl Greys, etc. You can order a pot of tea-for-two at $8, or $5 for an individual teapot, all offering several cups poured into beautiful, floral china. Our only complaint was that our waitress did not smile once, seemed disinterested in us, and poured the tea for two of us, rather than all four (not that we couldn't pour our own tea, but if she did so for one pot, why not the other two, as well?). We would all return for the great food, ambiance, and tea, but not for this particular waitresses' service.

• Visited May 2014
New Hyde Park, New York
“Horrible service”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This establishment is known for it's fresh food and long wait. However, we sat down and weren't give menus for at least 10-15 mins. I got up and got my own. We were there about 20 mins. before they took our order. We were never offered anything to snack on while waiting so long for our food, a bread basket, anything. After an hour total our food still hadn't come out so we had to take it to go. We had a 1 hr. lunch. When we got back to the office many of the accompaniments to our dishes were not included.

• Visited May 2014