“Great family style restaurant”
Review of Ayhan's Shish Kebab - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ayhan's Shish Kebab
Cuisines: Mediterranean
West Hempstead, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great family style restaurant”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Recently visited this location usually I go to baldwin but they recently renovated the outside so I wanted to check it out I was very surprised by the decor very authentic Mediterranean decor service is very good and the food portions are huge I had an assorted chicken platter two people could have shared it I just wish parking was a little better though can't get a spot on a Saturday night maybe a week night is better I will be back!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank u2slowstop

“Ambiance is awesome, great food, service friendly and attentive”
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited this location and was pleasantly surprised by the interior it is beautiful ,live plants scattered througout place is very clean and it is small but very cozy! Ordered the whole grilled branzini it was delicious not fishy (like some places) it came with a tasty side of rice and mixed veggies the service was great they refilled the drinks without having to ask which to me is important it means they are attentive to your needs I will definetly be back!!!!

• Visited August 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Simply wrong place....”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We vent to this restaurant about a month ago with my family (wife and 3y.o son)
It was about 8pm and there were just few people. We got our table and then we spent about 20-30 minutes waiting for someone to take our order. But 20-30 minutes was not enough for this restaurant and we left. I don’t know if they have any good food but with such a service customers are need to much patience to try it out.

• Visited July 2013
Tampa, Florida
“A good experience this time”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have been to this restaurant about 6 or 7 times. When I am visiting on Long Island it is a great central location for my family to get together. Last night we had a good experience in contrast to last time when it was terrible. The menu is varied so there is something for everyone. The chicken soup is great and the baklava dessert is worth the stop. The entree is up to you....it could be good or it could be just OK. This time the service was fast and friendly which is impressive with a group of 6. Drinks came quickly and were super sized. I love the bread with the yogurt dipping sauce too. I do recommend a visit.....please say HI! to Carmen....she is the best.

• Visited August 2013
Valley Stream, New York
“Good Food, Horrible Service”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I have eaten at several of the Ayhan's restaurants (Port Washington, Baldwin, Rockville Centre) on a number of occasions. This restaurant, formerly known as Ayhan's Shish Kebab is now called Ayhan's Pita Express. The menu appeared to be the same as the other Ayhan's restaurants, and we've always enjoyed the food.
The first indication of a problem was the help wanted sign near the front door. They were in need of wait staff and kitchen help. That should have given us a clue.
There was one waiter for the 10 filled tables in our area. I'm not sure how many people were working in the kitchen. It was 10 minutes before he approached our table to take our order of food and drink. It was another 10-15 minutes before our salads arrived (still no drinks), and another 5 minutes before the bread (3 small pieces) was delivered to our table.
Sensing that it would be awhile before our main courses arrived, we asked for more bread when our drinks were finally brought to us. We're still waiting for the bread, although at one point the waiter promised us it would be right out.
We read in Newsday that Ayhan is very strict about overseeing his restaurants, visiting 2 or 3 of them a day. He must've forgotten about Rockville Centre because the service is a disgrace. It's a shame because the food is good, but the service detracts from the overall experience enough to ensure that my husband and I will not be returning.
With so much unemployment, why is it so difficult for them to find help, especially during the summer when high school and college students are looking for employment?

• Visited July 2013