“Still as bad as ever.”

Bernies Holiday Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bernies Holiday Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Rock Hill
Cuisines: American, Sushi, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Description: American Fish House and Steak House. Fresh local specials every week. Home of the Dodge inn Steak.
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We went to Bernies a few years ago and had an over priced and terrible experience. We were told that they now have new owners and the food was better. So we decided to give it another try earlier this week. The decor was definitely better and we were hopeful, but it went downhill from there. Service was extremely slow and they kept bringing the wrong dishes, the tables next to us were rolling their eyes in our shared frustration. My fried oyster appetizer finally arrived. It was a messy looking plate, with completely over fried batter - I mention batter only because the oyster was so burnt that it basically disintegrated inside the batter. No self respected chef would ever put that on a plate and serve it. Almost all of the rest of the food was over cooked, from my daughter's "medium" hamburger, to my wife's salmon, to the bake potato on my plate.

When we left, we said good luck to the other tables who smiled understandingly.

If you would like to have this comical experience, go soon. They are not going to stay in business for long.

2  Thank AlexTFLee
There are newer reviews for Bernies Holiday Restaurant

Reviewed August 15, 2013

100 bucks for two and we don't drink. We should have!! LOL. Look at the pics they speak volumes. It was so insanely over priced for what you get it wasn't even funny. We had the ravioli and the angus steak. There were 4 small ravioli with 3 small shrimp for 27 dollars. The steak was 28. Again look at the pictures! I ordered it medium well.......It was burnt so bad it was not edible. Dry as a bone and tasteless does not begin to explain how bad it was. On top of that it was less than a half inch thick and I took it home to give to the dog! The salads were swimming in dressing because the salad itself was so old and wilted they tried to cover it up. No butter for the potato....no bread....we had to eat the appitizer by hand becuase we had no utensils. The calimary was 12 bucks for a smaller portion than you get at Olive Garden for half the price and it wasn't as good. The ravioli dinner was so small and the steak obviously inedible we had to go home and eat dinner. I could go on and on. Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this place as you can. Burn your money it would be less painful than eating at this dump.

3  Thank chris h
Randy R, Manager at Bernies Holiday Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

This steak was ordered Medium Well not medium which is why is was dry. The steak is cut 16 oz by our butcher and are individually wrapped to keep them fresh. I wrote to the customer and offered them a free dinner for two to make up for the problem and to show them that we are not what they think. They refused the offer and were nasty about it as well. My advise to any readers of this review would be to say something when you are at the restaurant if you are unsatisfied in any way. Give the restaurant a chance to make good on it. If they don't fix it, feel free to chastise them anywhere you might want. But give them a chance to remedy the situation.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Fine dining restaurant. Unique dishes, nice portion sizes. Cost a bit more, but worth it. Meat and fish selections. Everyone in party of twelve was satisfied.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

Went as part of a package as get away with wife. Service was good never felt pressured like you do a chain places. Nice relaxing dinner. Menu seems like chef went to a high end cooking school. Sometimes when you see this you don't know what size dinner you will end up with. That said if you read this review and live within say 30mins. Come and get the lobster Mac and cheese. It was off the hook. Can get with steak which I did. 40 for it. Wife got seafood paste she also enjoyed. Had lobster baked potato for app also great. Well done staff and owners.

Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I had really high hopes for this place...but sadly, all of them were lost...
We arrived to a practically empty restaurant and decided to sit in the bar area, it's a little bit more comfortable than the actual seating area...
I ordered a glass of Riesling, my boyfriend a beer.
They brought us bread (which I almost chipped a tooth on) and took our order.
We ordered the lobster Mac and cheese to start, this was the highlight of the meal...not because it was delicious, but because it was edible...the lobster was chewy, not fresh at all!
I ordered the NY strip, my boyfriend the 20oz cowboy steak....
When my plate came, it looked like it had been sitting under a warming lamp for some time, and there seemed to be a pool of oil/grease forming on my plate. I had to ask for a new plate so that I could transfer my steak and mashed potatoes over before I could even think about eating anything. The amount of grease that was on my plate was unappetizing.
The mashed potatoes were just alright, I think they lost their mixer and ran out of heavy cream because it seemed like they just took some baked potatoes and mixed them up...very dry and barely even edible...
My boyfriend got the cowboy steak and potato skins...the steak had no flavor, it was just a piece of meat thrown into a frying pan and then thrown onto a plate. They weren't even trying! The potato skins were equally disappointing, when I hear potato skins, I think of half a potato with melted cheese, bacon and chives....this was literally just the skin of a potato that was deep fried and dry...also barely edible... How do you mess up steak and potatoes?! It's possibly the most basic hot meal you can create...
The chef came out numerous times to talk to patrons and this really got me upset...you should be in the back making sure everything is cooked to absolute perfection! Not acting like mayor of BHR...the wait staff was ok...nothing spectacular, one of the Servers even guilted us into keeping our appetizer on the table throughout dinner because she was upset that we didn't finish it....not ever thinking that maybe we couldn't finish is because it wasn't that great...
Overall, I would just go to Wendy's next time....at least you know what to expect and the employees do their job!

1  Thank Rachelborwegen