“Good Value, Great Breakfast”

The Mansion of Saratoga
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed at many historic B & Bs and this is one of the finest. The rooms are well appointed and sparkle with custom bedding and period antiques. The big surprise is when you enter the dining room for breakfast. The table is beautifully set and fresh fruit, cereals, hot drinks, pastries and other goodies that guarantee that you will not go hungry. Just when you think you have seen the makings of a great breakfast the chef appears and gives you a choice of hot cooked to order items. Huge servings of gourmet breakfast entrees. My wife and I did not eat again until evening!

Room Tip: Some street noise at the front, might want to select a room towards the back.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Mansion of Saratoga

Reviewed October 27, 2011

My fiance' and I stayed here over three nights, and the overall experience was very, very good. But it easily could have been outstanding, with just a few minor tweaks. First, the good - the staff is wonderful. Rick, Lori, and Nancy were all extremely friendly, and were happy to help us in any way they could to make our stay more comfortable, without being obtrusive.. Rick provided us with a great deal of useful information on local attractions, from hiking to nighttime entertainment, as we were finishing our breakfasts each morning. This included printed descriptions and/or directions. And what a breakfast! The food was excellent! The variety ran the gamut from fresh fruit, to granola and yogurt, muffins, scones, toast/english muffins, fresh preserves...this in addition to three hot breakfast offerings, which were all amazing. I am not a light eater by any means, and I was honestly full well past lunch time.

The interior of the mansion is beautiful, decorated with antiques, paintings, and silk flowers. There are functioning fireplaces in two of the common sitting rooms, which was a nice place to retire to for a snack and a glass of wine after a long day. We pretty much had the place to ourselves, so we dimmed the lights, lit the fire and chatted over said glass of wine. Wonderful...There are many nooks and crannies to explore, which seems to be encouraged, and we looked into every unoccupied room to get a first hand view.

The grounds are also beautiful, although we didn't spend much time outside due to the largely inclement weather. The pond in the back is a nice spot, and swans will come right over if you approach the edge. I imagine they're looking for a snack. The porch has lamps and an assorment of furniture for sitting and having a drink on a nice evening. The back deck also looks like a great place to hang out, especially with a group, although it had a tent on it for a planned wedding while we were there.

Now, regretfully, for the negatives, which really were only the difference between an "A" and and "A-". We stayed in the Casswood Suite, which of all the rooms was the least 'grand' in it's decor, which in and of itself is not a negative, just a comment. The reason we initially chose this room was because a) it had an outdoor deck, and b) the room description indicated that the bathroom was 'large and dramatic' and had a jacuzzi. And we're glad we did, because many of the bathrooms for the other rooms (we didn't see them all) had toilets that directly abutted the shower stall. Which looks like it could be uncomfortable and/or awkward. I believe another reviewer mentioned this feature as well. There isn't much that can be done about it, but it is something to be aware of.

Our bathroom, on the other hand, was great, as described. Except for the ladybugs. It wasn't a swarm, but it was more than 3 or 4. We couldn't figure out how they got in, and they weren't really a bother, but if some of our children had been with us, they'd have been using the hall bathroom. I don't know if it's a seasonal phenomena or not, but again, something worth mentioning.

One item that was specific to our room, the Casswood Suite – my fiancé had dropped something and reached down to retrieve it, when her hand encountered an exposed pipe in the baseboard heating. She wasn’t burned severely or anything, but it did hurt, and it could have been worse had the heat been cranked higher. Not to mention the fact that exposed pipes are not cosmetically appealing.

The deck, while a nice space to sit and relax, needs a bit of TLC - it's just bare wood, and the paint on the side of the house is peeling. There are also a couple of spots where the trim on the house needs repair, Not major things, but they take away from what would otherwise be an absolutely beautiful spot. There is a small outdoor table and two chairs, as well. I didnt' get a close look at it, but there was a first floor deck directly below us, which looked to be in a similar state, at least as far as the wood was concerned.

I also have to take the cleaning staff to task on a few things, also minor for the most part. When we first arrived and began to unpack our luggage, I found a pair of men's pants in one of the dresser drawers, and later, a pair of socks. I'm not easily grossed out (I have children, after all) but ....eeeewww. Every drawer, closet, shelf, nook, and cranny should be checked before allowing a guest into a room.

Also, the paint on the window sills is peeling badly, could be cleaner, and had an abundance of dead flies on them. The peeling paint is a maintenance issue, but the dirt and flies? Even the window sills need to be cleaned, at least once in a while.

With all of this being said, I understand that the house is very old, and is therefore going to need repair. And perhaps those issues are already being addressed. The housekeeping issues are easily correctable and did not detract overmuch from our experience. During our stay, the positives FAR outweighed the negatives, and we had a wonderful visit, both because of the great house and the fantastic staff. If I could have given it 4.5 stars, I would have. I highly recommend the Mansion ito anyone travelling in the Saratoga Springs Area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ILikeToBeAway
Reviewed August 25, 2011

From the idyllic atmosphere to the amazing cooked-to-order breakfasts - try the fresh-baked scones!, There is no other place to stay in Saratoga. It's set just off the beaten path from Downtown Saratoga (7 miles). The rooms are grand and beautifully decorated, and make you feel like you've stepped back in time. The grounds and gardens are lush and beautiful, with chipmunks and other wildlife playing all over the grounds. There's a waterfall and swan pond tempting enough to keep you there for the duration of your stay. The staff is exceptionally friendly, and will treat you and your party like royalty. When I plan my next trip to the area, The Mansion Inn is the only place we will consider staying!

Room Tip: Ask for the Cottage if you can. 2 bedrooms, a deck overlooking the waterfall and swan pond!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We arrived after a four hour drive from NYC and were welcomed to a delicious food plate (cheese, meat, crackers, fruit) and a glass of wine. The room (Saratoga Room) is really a sight to behold. All of the furniture is beautiful and the room is tastefully and thoughtfully decorated. The bathroom was great (jacuzzi tub), and the hotel gives high quality L'Occitane products. We were able to eat our food on our own deck, which faced the parking garage (but who cares, the weather is beautiful and the whole house is relaxing). From there you can walk around the property where there are two beautiful swans swimming (if you give them grass they will eat it and love you for it). The proprietors are also very generous with there time and are warm and helpful. They also allow you to walk around the mansion to view the rooms that people aren't staying in. The morning is marked by a delicious breakfast! It really was the best food we had in the area, and we ate at places that are considered to be great. The scones were freshly made with warm, sweet strawberries. I really can't say enough about this place. You would be making a mistake if you chose to pay the same amount for some cold, dingy, Hilton. The best bed and breakfast I have ever had the pleasure of staying at.

P.S. When you enter through the front door, look at the doorhandles....

Room Tip: Saratoga room was great and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Lunacraft
Reviewed August 17, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Mansion overnight while visiting Saratoga. It was our first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast. We stayed in the Casswood Suite. It was just as it was described on line. It had a beautiful very big bathroom, with a jucuzzi tub. The bathroom opened to a private deck, which was lovely, with a table and 2 chairs. The room was just beautiful, as well as other rooms we were able to look into.
The staff were wonderful, helpful, and very friendly. Rick, the chef was great. Great food.
There were other guests there and it was very quiet.

I would recommend this Bed and Breakfast, and we plan on returning again soon.
We also got a great rate considering it was racing season.....

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Our experience with the Mansion Inn is a little twisted. We visited just this past weekend for a wedding I was to be in at the Mansion. Upon arrival, we checked in. It had been an unsually hot 2 weeks in the area. Our room was in the attic, 3rd floor and was as HOT as anything. The air had not been running the entire day. THey showed us how to run the stand up space air conditioner and there was a window AC unit in the one window which was located on the second "floor" of our room. THe room alone was a disappointment, I would NEVER have paid that amount of money for that room. I am glad we ended up leaving the Mansion and saving the money. Other rooms looked goregeous and would have definitely been well worth the money. I would not suggest the 3rd floor/ attic room at all. We let the AC run for 2-3 hours and it still did not cool off at all (that is after the fuses blew out a few times and then both AC units either stopped working or stopped blowing cool air), i was sweating getting ready for rehersal dinner. We decided to stay at another motel for the weekend which was definitely the right option considering what the room was and how hot it was in there.
However the food was most execellent... i really cannot say enough about it. Our rehersal dinner was fantastic. I graciously accepted their invitation to come back for breakfast each morning and am so glad I did. My 2 breakfasts there was nothing short of fantastic. The Stuffed french toast with banana foster type syrup on top was just absolutely amazing. Our wedding dinner was also fantastic... i ate everything including the veggies. Again I cannot say enough about every single thing I ate there.

I would definitely give The Mansion another chance. Other rooms looked goregous, the grounds were beautiful and given our start with the staff which was not the best due to our room, the staff was friendly enough.
Just no 3rd floor for me next time!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2010

Beautiful, old, clean well kept place. Huge rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Great Breakfasts. I have traveled to Saratoga about 10 different times for racing season. Once I stayed here, I have not gone anywhere else. We have stayed here 4 or 5 times.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Saratoga Arms
Saratoga Arms
#1 of 34 in Saratoga Springs
Embassy Suites by Hilton Saratoga Springs
Embassy Suites by Hilton Saratog...
#2 of 34 in Saratoga Springs
Roosevelt Inn & Suites
Roosevelt Inn & Suites
#20 of 34 in Saratoga Springs

Been to The Mansion of Saratoga? Share your experiences!