“Nice Hotel in a Dead Downtown”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Ranked #15 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Gassetts
“Nice Hotel in a Dead Downtown”
Reviewed May 21, 2007

The hotel was nice. I used my Choice Hotels points card and got free parking and a room upgrade (the upgrade gets you a fridge and a microwave - no big deal). Great view of the river from the 12th floor. Room was big and clean and staff was friendly. The restaurant downstairs is the only place to eat within three blocks. All the store fronts up main street are vacant.

The hotel is connected to the convention center with an over=-street walkway.

• Liked — Proximity to convention center
  • Disliked — The downtown area was dead
  • Stayed May 2007
4 Thank 2TubMan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
Slate Hill, NY
Reviewed May 16, 2007

I was travelling to Rochester to visit my family and they recommended the hotel. After seeing some of the reviews, got to admit, I was nervous. I enjoyed the hotel to be honest. True, the room wasn't brand new but it was clean and comfortable. Staff was nice and when I left my cell phone charger at home, one of the girls at the desk let me use hers. Given the price (I paid $90), I was happy.

Stayed May 2007
4 Thank momoftwo93
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Upon stopping in Rochester for the night on the way back from a trip to the Finger Lakes, my party decided to give our business to the Clarion. Big mistake. Everything in the hotel was basically from the early 1980s. We got a double room and the beds were barely bigger than twins. Because nothing else looked from our windows to be in close walking distance, we decided to eat downstairs at the Main Street Grill. This was perhaps the worst part of our trip. We had specifically picked a hotel that had a restaurant attached to make things easier, assuming that when a restaurant is attached to a major brand hotel it will be passable. Well we know what happens when we ass-u-me. We came down to eat at 9:00, and only a few hockey-fan rollovers from the nearby arena were there. We sat down to be greeted by our young, utterly uninterested waitress, who actually laughed while sarcastically informing us that the soup of the day was country garden. I am not going to go too much into the food because this is a hotel review, but we ordered the spinach and artichoke dip and it was just micro-waved frozen creamed spinach. The whole meal was awful and I advise no-one to EVER go there. EVER. The topper to this lovely stay was when I went to wake up my husband and thought he was drooling in some weird color. But when I looked closer, there was a blood stain on his pillow case. The only thing I can say complimentary about this hotel is that the employees are very nice and professional (except the restaurant). I actually feel sorry for them that they have to work with such low standards and praise them for their good customer service in spite of it all.

• Liked — Employees level of service
  • Disliked — blood stains, restaurant was aweful, dogs barking in rooms, dirty, used make-up pad on floor, parking ramp was very scary
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank mod3rntraveler
NY
Reviewed April 22, 2007

We were attending an event at Blue Cross Arena which is within short walking distance. The bathroom wasn't even cleaned. There was dried urine on the toilet and floor! My son and I had already taken a nap before I noticed the bathroom. Had I seen the bathroom first I wouldn't have even laid down in the bed. They tried to make it right by only charging us $50 (we didn't even stay the night) - but according to what that other reviewer stated - you can get rooms here for $49 dollars anyway. Stay elsewhere unless you're just looking for a place to crash.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of cleanliness and the staple spiked wood poking out from under the bed
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank hallscoughdrops
rochester
Reviewed March 15, 2007

Four out of six people in our group had a run in with bed bugs at this hotel in four different rooms.

• Liked — cheap price
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank outofhere-7
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed October 23, 2006

Because I was told the Hyatt was being renovated, I chose this hotel for the proximity to the meeting I was attending. It was a most unpleasant experience. The room was tired, smelled of stale air and possibly smoke, and was in bad need of a thorough cleaning.

Looking for an outlet (there were hardly any) I found a washcloth behind the night table stained with something I'd rather not know about.

The Bennigan's was DIRTY, staff were rude and the food was poor. Look closely if you go at how filthy the carpet is in the Bennigan's. It's a sad sign of how bad this propprty is. Stay away!

• Liked — -
  • Disliked — dirty fluid stained washcloth I found in my room
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay Away
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank mstephens7
Greenburgh, New York
Reviewed October 10, 2006

I read the horror stories others have posted about this hotel, but it was the only real choice for an event I was attending.

I was pleased to find that, at least for me, none of these stories came true.

The parking lot -- it's an urban lot. Lots of concrete and exhaust gasses. You park your car, lock it, and leave as quickly as you can. Crime and accidents happen, though I experienced none of this while there and saw no signs of others having any trouble.

One concern: the door to the hotel from the garage is posted as locked after 11 pm, requiring a room key to open it -- but it was unlocked when I got back at 1 am. It does though lead to the lobby, so I'd think that anyone with criminal intent would be seen by the staff before anything untoward occurred.

The staff of the hotel was friendly, competent, and efficient. Check-in was handled quickly and without complication. Due to a quirk in booking, I had separate reservations for the two nights I stayed, but this was handled with a minimum of difficulty -- it took less than two minutes to make the change the second day. A security guard, overhearing my roommate ask about dining options other than the Bennigan's (which is far from gourmet dining) took it upon himself to approach us later and recommend a good barbecue place not too far away. Just don't try to find pizza; those who live in the city agree there is no good pizza in Rochester.

The hallways are uninspiring; beige/peach wallpaper looks old and tired -- but how much time are you really going to spend in the hallways?

The room itself, while not the largest I've ever stayed in, was more than sufficient for two people over two days. Unlike others I found it to be well-cleaned, and nothing was broken. It was a slight annoyance that when the TV is switched on the volume is pre-set to a relatively high level; when I switched it on while my roommate was sleeping I worried I might wake him. I was able though to back down that level before he was disturbed.

The beds were comfortable and both of us slept well. Yes, the bottom sheets are not form-fitting, but who cares? The beds are made up each day.

I remain surprised that so many hotels do not have separate heating for the bathrooms. While they might not want a radiant heater left on, surely one could be installed with a timer limiting its activity. That said, the hot water came up quickly and one can always run that a while to warm the room. The water pressure was impressive, especially considering we were on the 14th (of course, really the 13th) floor.

The Bennigan's was the worst part of the experience. It serves gimmicky "American" food, for those lucky enough never to have dined at one. I don't like eating heavy when traveling, so the first night, meeting up with friends there, I ordered the chicken tenders. What arrived was simple chunks of battered chicken breast, cooked until tough -- not the small cuts of breast one should get on such an order. Still, it was protein at the end of a long drive and with enough chewing it was all consumed. The only other meal I had there was breakfast the day I left, part of a brunch with the same friends. This food was unexceptional but filling. The cook assigned to the omelet and waffle station was just starting and didn't really know how to deal with everything, but a supervisor arrived and gave instructions, and the results were reasonable.

The waiters and waitresses, though, were friendly and did their best.

Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and would recommend the Clarion to others.

• Liked — Splendid views of the city.
  • Disliked — The Bennigan's
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends