“Negative experience”

Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
NY
“Negative experience”
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I'd like to qualify this review by saying our stay was not all bad. The rooms were clean, and the air-conditioning worked. That's the good news. A member of our group was robbed INSIDE of the hotel, her purse snatched right out of her hands. Legend's restaurant and bar was terrible. First morning our breakfast was not what we ordered, no satisfaction from the manager. Second morning decided on the buffet, and how scrambled eggs can be in brick-form and taste like fish is beyond me. A couple with us took their chances again by ordering off the menu. Poor choice, as once again the order was wrong. We helped ourselves to the silverware and refilled our water, as our waitress went missing. We waited 30 minutes for coffee, as they "ran out of fresh coffee". I guess they never heard of a Bunn. After the fellows in the booth next to us repeated their order FOUR TIMES to the waitress, we knew exactly what they wanted, and when their meal arrived, it too was wrong. We both summoned the manager at about the same time, and stated our cases. Today, breakfast was on the house! It was terrible, but it was free. It would have been $24 for two buffets by the way. The bar was ok. Aside from the extremely drunk young man who screamed "turn on the [--] Bills game you [--] [--]!" over and over while the bartender giggled and told him to 'shushhhhhh". We sat at a table about 10 feet from the bar, and was not once visited by a waitress to take our order. We made our way to the bar and ordered, and noticed the snacks on the bar. When we asked for some, the bartender told us "they're for everybody!". "Right, we know, we want some to sit on our table rather than walk over here for a handful.....oh, never mind." Noting the hotel booked two weddings along with our convention of oh, about 200 people, was not a big deal.....until one of the wedding parties tried to use the room we were already in. These poor people set up their reception in the HALLWAY so their guests could mingle while we finished our business and vacated. We were accosted by pan-handlers when we walked out of the hotel. Literally right out side the door. Sirens screamed up and down main all hours of the day and night. I hoped to lock my valuables in the safe in our room, but someone had stolen the key. The staff were indifferent at best. When we checked out, we noted a fee for having a safe in our room! That was $2 taken of the bill, as was the tax of 0.16 cents they charged on the fee. The pool was staffed with a lifeguard at all times, and it was fun there. We had a good view of the river, and the rooms were equipped with an adjustable-firmness bed. Overall, I'd never stay here again (this is our second time. We agreed to try it again). I'd never, ever eat here again. I'd never recommend this place to a friend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Richardbair, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside, responded to this review, September 23, 2009
We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Radisson Riverside and will use them constructively.
We take our guest safety very seriously and work diligently to prevent issues and react immediately to the infrequent incidences that occur to ensure they do not happen again.
Our Legends Restaurant has received numerous compliments from our hotel guests and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations and we did address the issue as soon as you spoke to the manager.
The "gentleman" you referred to in the lounge was a regular customer who was asked not to come back to the facility. We do not accept this type of behavior and apologize if it was condoned at the time by the bartender.
Again, thank you for your comments and constructive input.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Korean first
New York
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This hotel is now Radisson and I stayed here with my wife and 4-year-old son on 6/26/2009. There was summer concert right in front of the hotel and East Main St. was blocked over the bridge leading to the hotel entrance. The cops were very friendly and directed us to go around the block and another cop let us in to the hotel by taking away the orange cones.

Once inside the hotel the parking garage was easy to find and once we parked our car it was easy to get to the hotel lobby from the parking garage. The front desk people were very nice and friendly and we were checked-in within 10 minutes. We took the elevator and entered the room and found that there was suitcase. We came back down to the lobby and told the front desk that we may be given a room even before the previous guest had checked-out. The person at the front desk apologized for the mix-up and gave us another room and offered us a complimentary fridge which was no included in the rate we booked the room.

The room was clean and well maintained. TV,fridge,microwave,towels,bathroom were all good. We were worried about the concert and music going all through the night. We were told that the music would stop at 10:00 PM and it did stop at 10:30 PM.

Check-out was easy, no problem there. The only issue is that this hotel is in downtown Rochester,NY and there are no convinience stores to get small food items of even milk for the little kids. There is a Family Dollar in the next block but closes early. So if you are travelling with little kids make sure you pack enough food/milk. There is one small store right inside the hotel lobby but has limited choice. The restaurant inside the hotel will sell milk for $1.00 for an 8 Oz carton.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I was here for a conference Wed-Friday and from the start things were going smoothly. I really appreciated the Skywalk to the Convention Center in the cold night in the "not-so-nice" part of Rochester. My biggest tiff was with the impolite and rude restaurant staff, but I can't give the entire hotel a bad review for that.

I was very happy that it was only a short shuttle drive from Rochester Airport. Its proximity to things in town weren't too explored by me, but I tried a GREAT bar-b-que restaurant just a block away that blew me sideways!

The rooms are average but are kept in a proper manner. Overall positive experience that I would do again (providing that I *have* to go to Rochester in the future!)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Long Island,NY
Reviewed March 7, 2009

I stayed for 3 nights at the Clarion for a conference on Mar 3-6, 2009. The rooms were decent, very clean, and the bedspreads seemed new. The bathrooms were clean and the vanity/sink area seems to be new. Showers were decent. There was a chair and ottoman in the room that was very comfy. The view was good, we had a view of the river. Its very convenient that the hotel is connected to the convention center by bridge. Elevators were very crowded so if you have a large conference while you are there you may end up waiting 15+ minutes for an elevator or taking the stairs.

There is a subway across the street so if your looking for lunch one day its there. Otherwise its a taxi ride to some restaurants.

There was a shortage of towels for some reason during our stay so housekeeping told us to use the ones from the day before.

If your taking a car parking could be an issue.

Internet very reliable and fast, also FREE.

I did not see a restaurant but maybe I missed it.

Fitness center is under renovations so there is a temporary one in the hotel.

Email me if you have any questions.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank tpich
Trenton, Maine
Reviewed February 26, 2009

Although I am local, I stay at this hotel once or twice a year due to various charity events at the convention center. They did a great job on the remodel. It looks fresh and updated. Except the gigantic 80's chandelier need to GO! It was a little gross prior to that. The tub are is still a bit gross though. I will agree with one other reviewer in that when we went to the hotel bar, the bartender we had was very rude. A guest came in and aksed for directions to a place that wasn't too far away. She said "I dont' know I just pour drinks" and walked away. My husband and I gave him directions. The other bartender that was there, a younger African American guy was super nice and very friendly. All in all I would stay there again but I would not go to the hotel bar if that girl is working there.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed January 24, 2009

check in started a bit weird. i believe we had gotten the rooms on expedia or some other website like that, and apparently the hotel hadn't recieved the papers yet, but anyway they gave us the room and we came down a few hours later and they said all was good.

first thing, the elevator their is super fun, lol. its one of those that like launches you up and its just fun to ride. the rooms were great, clean and "high tech" they had lcd tv's and a nice view overlooking the river....bad side to that...we could easily look down and see old men tanning at the pool in thongs...ew. when you go to this hotel you must go downstairs and have their breakfast. its really good and the guy that makes the omelets is really cool, and funny. also another plus to this hotel is very convinient parking deck. also, if your in town for a bit, (mainly summer only) go for a walk around town. its extremely beautful. i caught some great pictures of some nearby churches and other buildings nearby.

one downside for us while we where here was apparently their was a border patrol conference or something like that and on our way back from our walk around town we saw around 20 people out front of the hotel protesting and several cops and news people also nearby....i guess the hotel isn't really at fault for this but it was kinda freaky seeing it all at first....angry mob outside of hotel yelling.....

anyways i would definately recomend this hotel it was a terrific hotel.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location
  • Disliked — Angry Protesters out front.....
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
South Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Went to see concert at Blue Cross arena...5 min walk...check in staff were friendly, helpful and very polite...went to concert and returned at 1130 pm and desk staff and security very nice....room was average...windows dirty...bar was supposed to be open until 2 am....bartender rude and closed bar at 1145 pm as she was "tired" leaving our group to go find a bar nearby...not the nicest of neighborhoods....never saw so many police in my life...expected a drive by shooting....overall if you are looking for a place that is easy to get to, close to arena...this is the place....

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends