“Give it a miss”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Waterford, Ireland
“Give it a miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2008

While the accomodations were fine, the bar was closed and downtown Rochester is not the place you want to go walkabout at night looking for a cocktail.
The restauarant was only doing a rather meagre buffet....and breakfast was just as bad. $12 for a cold bufffet of scrambled plastic eggs, burnt bacon and fried potatoes. And they ASKED for a tip when all they did was serve a glass of orangejuice(not in the buffet selection).

They need to get their act together quicky in regard to the bar and restuarant

• Liked — Room was ok
  • Disliked — Non existant bar and poor restuarant
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
vestal, ny
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

We were very disappointed with this reservation. When we arrived at the hotel, they explained that "Expedia overbooked" and the room we requested was not available. We were downgraded to a room with one bed, which was unacceptable to us, but too late to do anything about. Then they explained that they had no available parking due to a wedding in the facility, and I had to park in a garage 3 blocks away. The room had a very musty odor, and there were problems with the plumbing in the room. Black sediment came out of the faucets, there was very little water pressure in the shower, and the toilet would not flush. When I complained, they sent someone from maintenance who worked on the problem, but did not fix it. The next day, there was another wedding and still no available parking. The hotel was very crowded and because of this, the elevators were very slow. We were so fed up that we checked out a day early.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — service, plumbing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank cmlc3136
nyc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2008

Stay away! No security!

Things stolen from my room and my luggage was broken into while it was in hotal storage!!

Laptop stolen!!

Horrible hotel!!

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank connswater
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2008

My husband and I arrived at the hotel at around 11:00 on a Thursday night only to find that the hotel did not have our reservation. We have booked through expedia and the hotel had not received the fax. They then told us to hold on while they called and just left us standing at the desk. We had to make the call to expedia ourselves and ask them to fax over the paperwork for our reservation (which had already been done that afternoon and apparently lost by the front desk). After we finally get into our room, we awake to a loud banging noise at 2 a.m. After my husband and I realize that the loud noise is at our door, we look through the peep hole to discover that a half naked man is either drunk or sleep walking and is trying to get in the wrong room. We tried to tell him that he had the wrong room, but he was shouting so loudly it didn't do any good. We had to call security to get him the hell out of there! The next night as we go to brush our teeth, we realize there is no water and after a call to the front desk, we are told the hot water heater was broken and the whole building was out of water...fabulous! The next day, as we got ready for a wedding, there was water, but it was not hot and showering was done rather quickly. Other than these things listed above, the hotel was clean and the shuttle service back and forth to the airport was great!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYnic
new york
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

I suppose it is somewhat bias to write a review when during my stay the hotel was under heavy (HEAVY) construction, but then again, they made the choice to stay open during "minor renovations" soo0o0o: here goes..
Upon me pulling in at about 2 am, I noticed all the doors were locked; the sign up on the parking garage door in bold face letters "lock your car we are not responsible for stolen items etc etc" ever so present. They board this place up like fort knox after hours, you have to buzz your way in. I was greeted at the desk by a semi informative guy with a raspy voice who was helpful, though very apologetic about well, everything. Condition: "minor renovations" Restaurant: "closed late at night" food: "go to the restaurant" paying for it: "yes sir" pool: "sneak into the hyatt". The hotel was not altogether that bad, but there was a musty aura in the lobby, the skywalk got a little confusing, the room was big, however a bit dark. I had trouble controling the AC in the room, it was either to hot or to cold, but i think they were putting in a better system. The catch to my group rate (which I will admit was a good one) was they put us on a renovation floor. As the elevator opened up, i had to step around buckets of paint and water that was falling from the roof of the hall. writing in magic marker on the wall said "no vending this floor go up a few more and see" The room numbers as well were handwritten on the doors with black sharpie. I took a picture, for some reason its not uploading on this site right now.. stay tuned. Lights were off the walls and it smelled like rubber cement. I woke up high the next morning high as a result of this, i thought the peeling sound was a delusion, but as i opened the door i found it wasnt, a painter was painting my door and shot at me when i opened it "dont do that just yet im busy". This is the choice (pardon the "choice" pun) of this hotel to stay open during all this. While a part of me understood, another part also understood for half of what i was paying to stay here during this, I could have stayed at a clean motel 6. The highpoint was definatly the massage from the nice lady who rents a room independantly in the hotel, despite the fact she will try sell you various lotions and oils, she was wonderful and the massage felt great. She as well was apologetic too about the hotels conditions. The low point was not the forgivable construction scene, it was upon leaving, a true nightmare of unprofessional standards.
Due to the scenario of my stay, I had a important meeting in the early evening on the check out day that crept up last minute. I asked at the front desk about a late check out, preferably after 8 pm as that was when the meeting was over, they said of course, with no extra fee. I figured due to the construction the rooms were off limits. However, just then someone who identified himself as the manager (he looked to be in low 20s age) told me no, and I would have to pay for one half nights stay. I explained my situation and the fact all i needed was a room to change in a shower around 8 pm and he told me (at least hes honest) The rooms in that hall were not on the market that night due to the construction but if I wanted it I would have to pay about 50 dollars. I told him I was origionaly granted permission and this would cause extreem hardship. He said that could be taken care of if I pay him for the room. On top of that, the girl who origionaly told me yes, then told him in front of me that everyone else on my floor who asked she has told them they can. He looked at me and smiled. When I asked for an explination, he said the rules are the rules, the line must be drawn somewhere. I ended up changing out of a tuxedo in my car that night, no shower and drove a little to stay somewhere else; see "quality inn albany airport". I can understand if the room was booked for someone else, but the fact the room was just going to sit there in a construction mess while other had been granted that request puts this on the level of disrespectful. Asking me to pay for a room in these conditions was just about the only thing they were not apologetic about.
p.s. for you people so concerned about the safety and crime issue in downtown rochester, at the time in late february I was visiting, it was to cold and miserable to be outside to find out. Not that there is much to do anyway as everything is bolted shut after about 10 pm. The side streets looked sketchy, but no one seemed to be around anyway. Chances are as the rumors go, you will be miserable in this cold and frigid town.

• Liked — close proximity to downtown and the hyatt (with the pool)
  • Disliked — this i where most people type "leaving" however do to my "leaving situation as you read above that is invalid here! I also disliked the internet you have to pay for on slow computers.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank speedotorpedo
Franklin Lakes, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2008

I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice room at a very reasonable rate. The mattress was more comfortable than my bed at home. The staff was helpful in all areas.

• Liked — The room
  • Disliked — neighborhood outside the hotel
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Watertown, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

4 of us stayed in 2 rooms across the hall from one another for 1 night, while we were in town to see a concert. Check-in was smooth, as I had pre-paid online to get a lower rate. The lady at the front desk was friendly, helpful and knowledgable, providing with a map and driving directions to Nathaniel's restaurant, where we were meeting some friends for an early dinner. She also pointed out that we were better off parking in the hotel parking garage and walking to the Blue Cross Arena for the concert, as it would save us a $10 fee. Our rooms were clean and spacious, with comfortable beds. The room my husband and I stayed on had an awesome view of the Genessee River and the Rochester skyline. TV worked fine, towels were clean and fluffy, 2 phones in room. Very nice.

There were some minor problems. #1: Only one of 2 the key cards for our room worked. #2: the vending machine on our floor (10) was out of order. #3: I called down for an extra blanket. We returned from the concert and no blanket. The second call resulted in a speedy blanket delivery. #4: There was a survey on the writing desk to rate our stay, but when I went to fill it out, it had already been completed by the guest(s) prior to us! #5: I was disappointed that this hotel did not offer a free continental breakfast, as we were quite a hungry foursome the next morning.

All in all, the Riverside Clarion in Rochester is a great value in a fantastic location. They just need to get on the ball a little more and pay attention to details. I'd stay there again, but I'd probably bring my own "extra blanket" from home next time!

Stayed February 2008