“A very enjoyable stay.”

Ranked #18 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Florida
“A very enjoyable stay.”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I’m just getting back from a 5 day stay from the Residence Inn and have to say I’m very pleased. After reading some of the reviews I had considered changing my reservations to the well-rated Homewood Suites across the street. After my stay, I’m glad I didn’t – this hotel did a great job.

It’s the first time I’ve stayed in their traditional-style Residence Inns vs. the city-style buildings. Quite impressed. We had a two-bedroom, two-bathroom suite on the first floor, near the rear entry door. Despite the proximity to the entrance, noise wasn’t an issue at all for us. Both bedrooms had king-size beds with an assortment of pillows, while both bathrooms had hair dryers.

The full kitchen came in handy, as we often had leftovers from the many great restaurants in the area. One feature I like about Residence Inns is that they usually leave a bag of microwave popcorn in the room. This became a nightly wind-down ritual for us, making a bag of popcorn, sitting on the couch and watching a bit of TV before retiring for the night.

The room came with 2 central AC units, so each bedroom had its own system. Additionally, the ACs were quiet enough and would automatically switch between heat & cool, something quite nice during these shoulder-season days where it may be 43F in the morning but 76F by day.

I’m happy to report the beds were comfortable and I had probably the best sleep I’ve had in nearly 4 weeks now. Showers were good and had the bow-shaped curtain rod for more room. Both baths’ shower curtains were literally brand-new. Soaps were quite nice. Plenty of water pressure and hot water, though I do miss the Speakman showerheads I’m used to at many of the other Marriott properties.

The suite had 3 ~42” HDTVs, with probably one of the best HD channel lineups I’ve seen in a hotel of any class. BBC America HD, Bloomberg HD, CNBC HD. The TVs also had VGA & HDMI inputs, which came in handy with my laptop.

As others have mentioned, this hotel is an older one, nearly 14 years old. Overall, the hotel is in great shape – don’t let the age of the property be a turn-off. It’s well-maintained overall and it appears they’re constantly upgrading things. Of note, compared to other Residence Inns I have stayed at, the furniture, cabinets, and finishes aren’t up to the same level that I’m used to seeing with other RI properties. Where other RIs may have granite countertops, stainless appliances, and mahogany-colored cabinets, this one had Corian countertops, white and black appliances, and oak cabinetry. All functional and clean, just not as new and trendy as some of the newer properties. Did this affect our stay at all? Not one bit. There were some minor maintenance details that were due to age, such as a missing corner baseboard tile, and some of the seams of the wallpaper were starting to become visible. Again, minor things, which I’d hesitate to call actual issues. The rooms were spotless and there’s signs that they are improving things.
I’m pleased to say the other reviews’ comments about noisy people and neighborhood people infiltrating the included meals have been addressed and were not an issue during my stay, despite the hotel being near 100% occupancy. There is a sign now posted at the front desk regarding noise/parties/outside guests, so management does appear to be aware of the issues and has dealt with them. Front desk staff were friendly and knowledgeable as well. They even assisted me with getting boarding passes printed when the kiosk refused to open the PDF file JetBlue was sending.

Breakfast was good, as I usually expect from Residence Inns. There were the usual eggs, potatoes, bacon, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, breads, fruits, etc. There was also a slight variety in each day’s meals as well to break the monotony.

Location was great, next to 390 (without the noise of it) and Greece Mall and Wegmans are just west of the hotel. Plenty of restaurants (mostly non-chain) nearby.

For those debating between the Homewood Suites & Residence Inn, a few things I noticed: Homewood is Hilton, Residence Inn is Mariott. Use your airline miles/frequent stay clubs appropriately. Homewood has the typical motel ACs, Residence Inn has central heat & air. Homewood only has studios & 1 BR suites. Residence Inn has studios, 1 BR and 2BR suites. Residence Inn also has suites with fireplaces in them, although I forgot to request this when making my reservation.

It was a very enjoyable stay. I’ll definitely be back to Rochester and the Residence Inn @ Greece.

Room Tip: Two tips: 1) Wireless internet was available but highly saturated (slow). Hardwired was perfectly fi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank FLNomad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Nesconset, New York
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I hadn't stayed in a residence Inn before but will certainly do so in the future. The hotel was lovely and so convenient to many of the sights in the area and shopping! If only staying as a hotel guest and not a resident breakfast is free downstairs in a pretty lounge.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is an older Residence Inn property, however we found it in renovated tip top condition. It was furnished with the older style furniture and accessories which we found clean and in good working order. The key ingredient was that our room and the hotel itself was super clean and the staff were friendly and very helpful, even bending over backwards to accommodate our early check in needs
The studio room itself has a bit of a weird design – the desk / counter / table is permanently mounted and combined with the two office chairs on either side pretty much blocks the entrance to the room…. All a bit of a poor design!

The area close to the hotel has easy access to restaurants and shopping….. The shopping is sub-par but the selection of restaurants is excellent.

The room TV actually features actual HD channels and not the stretched wide screen HD appearance featured in many hotels these days. The bed was comfortable and the hotel quiet.

We found the evening social hour unorganized and chaotic!

The food is basic for complimentary fare and Wednesday was hamburger night. Staffs put out a small amount of hamburgers to start which were quickly gobbled up – we were told that more would be put out in ten minutes – in actual fact it was some 40 minutes later that only a dozen or so burgers showed up. These were quickly devoured by kids and a table of local guests who had easily sneaked in to the hotel and made good use of the opportunity to devour “free grub”!

Eventually more burgers were put out, and we managed to get one each around 7:15. When 7:30 arrived there must have been two dozen or more burgers still left in the warmer……. Most probably to be thrown out - What a waste when a large portion of the nation is starving!

Throughout the evening we would observe un-apparent guests – groups of individuals dressed in dirty street type clothes looking sideways to see if they were noticed as they would wander in the front entrance past the front desk to partake of the complimentary social hour, two Residence Inn employees at the desk (a male & a female) totally oblivious and could care less to non-guests sneaking by them! The servers never inquired once of the younger patrons for ID, which would appear on the surface to break state liquor laws. Afterwards we would observe them exiting through the front doors again un-noticed and some even driving off in vehicles!

Part way through the evening they ran out of white & red wine……. When we inquired of the staffs for more red wine we were bluntly told that. “There was no more, as no one had ordered any”!
Approximately twenty minutes later and with ten minutes left in the social hour the hostess showed up with five bottles of red wine exclaiming that, “no one told me about these”!

An unorganized and Chaotic Social hour & that is being polite……………!

The morning breakfast buffet featured eggs, sausages, potato wedges, fruit, yogurt and juices and was the usual satisfactory complimentary Residence Inn fare. The breakfast however was exactly the opposite of the evening social hour – super friendly and organized the two girls were constantly replenishing and checking on guests needs.

While it is admirable that this hotel turns a blind eye to the local population hungry for a free meal and drink, and thereby allows non guests to partake in the evening social hour, this property needs to put more of an emphasis on guests needs and definetly more controls on who enters the premises for the safety and security of all guests…….

Safety and security of guests is apparently not enforced at this Marriott property….. Given the choice we would probably choose another property where guest security was a higher priority!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank andy.karla
ROCMarriott, Owner at Residence Inn Rochester West/Greece, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review and for bringing this to our attention. It is important to us that we offer our guests the highest level of customer satisfaction and experience possible. We have addressed the social hour discrepancies with our staff and greatly appreciate your feedback.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well, we decided to stay here again even though they allow dogs into the hotel.

This time was a little better than last, but there are little things the managers can do to improve this place. It is located right besides the Courtyard and another Marriott property off of route 390.
We picked one of the busiest weekends (3-5 August) of the year to visit Rochester.

Upon check-in the staff were moving people along very quickly, so that was nice and they were very helpful even though the hotel was sold out. No one wanted to ask too many questions of the staff because there people behind each other and the staff were working hard.

The room was nice and cool when we arrived. Breakfast the next morning was average, but they kept plenty of food coming, so there was never empty. The breakfast was free and the staff was helpful. The pool was not very useful as it didn't look too well kept.

The advertised a managers reception, I never saw one nor was I ever invited during my three day stay the first weekend in August.

The rooms are cleaned every day and the staff is great, but don't expect much in the way of amenities.

This place could better and justify it's rate if a few things were changed.

1) If you advertised a managers' reception.....have one.

2) Let people know that what is happening in the immediate area....I might have stayed a day or two longer if I didn't have to do all of the research about a local event that was happening in town during my stay.

3) the staff have limited knowledge about the immediate area. I asked where was there a car wash and they all pointed me to the same car wash when there were about 5-6 within two minutes of the hotel. Also, the staff didn't know there was a major convention convention going on in town as well. Every hotel was booked, you would have thought they would have known why.

4) be able to communicate with the other Marriott properties electronically and not customers to do something that you should be able to do.

Overall this place is not bad with a friendly staff especially the night staff. There is no business center which is irritating to say the least,

Cheers
Maryland Vacation

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would definitely book here again because I like the kitchen and the extra space. It is excellent for a family with kids.
Both nights there were people partying and making a lot of noise well past midnight (even 1:45 one night). This is a nationwide problem. It'd be nice if these large hotels could free up a staff member to walk around the halls once an hour after 11 pm.
I do not blame the hotel for the noise.
Everything is really clean and staff speaks English (is that politically correct to say?) It just helps because if you have a request from your maid, she knows what you want.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
NYS Capital Region
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks, but not over the weekend. First room was fantastic! A suite with a fireplace! The best I have ever stayed in from Residence. The second week was a regular suite, but still really nice. Both rooms were very clean, with comfortable beds. Complimentary breakfast was nice and pretty much like other free breakfast places, with the exception of the eggs, which if not fresh, had to be the best reconstituted eggs I have had. These were far better than the powdered eggs you get at other places. The hotel itself is right next to the highway, near several restaurants, and not too far from shopping. A really nice location. The staff could not have been better. They were immediate in their responses to questions and problems. I called for foam pillows, and they were there almost a soon as I hung up the phone. After the first week, I mentioned that I would like foam pillows the following week, and they were on my bed when I checked in. I was impressed! I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can get the suite with 2 bedrooms and the fireplace, go for it.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Ontario
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Our family of 6 stayed at this hotel with another family while we were in town over the Easter weekend to visit the Museum of Play and the Zoo. The hotel was perfectly located with easy access to everything we needed within a couple minute drive. The hotel was perfect for our needs. We only stayed one night but in our short time there we found the staff to be very friendly and the hotel well kept. The pool was perfect temperature and our children enjoyed swimming in the evening and early morning. The adults enjoyed the hot tub. The suite was nice and well layed out. The suite was clean and we enjoyed the complimentary popcorn. The children enjoyed the ample t.v. stations during some down time. The breakfast was excellent for being an included quick breakfast. We enjoyed waffles, pancakes, french toast, sausages, yogurt, oatmeal, fruit, juice, tea and bagels. Our only complaint was the fact that the walls of our suite seemed paper thin. At night we could hear a strange noise from the suite beside us. It sounded like an owl but we figured it must be a dog whimpering. We could also hear the people talking through the wall at 2am. This was slightly annoying but just a fluke that we had people beside us and that they were up at that hour. I am guessing that our toddler crying was probably slightly annoying to them too which I feel bad about. All in all we enjoyed this hotel and would stay there in the future.

Room Tip: If you don/t like pets as for a room with no one next door or at least with no pets.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family