“They're bringing this property back into condition”

The East Avenue Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I've stayed here twice for a week at a time for work with very good results. They are renovating starting at the far end of the hotel and I'll tell, you the front end looks pretty creepy which shows you what great job they're doing with the renovations. I think this must have been Days Inn from maybe the late 60s or early 70s? The renovated rooms are very comfortable and pleasant.

These comments are pretty nitpicky since my stays here were very pleasant.

When I stayed the second floor it seemed that rather than resurface the floors properly they just put plywood down and then the carpet. Because of this the floors are a bit squeaky and not quite firm. This is not a big deal but they might consider spending more time on the floors in the remaining rooms.

When I stayed downstairs the first room had no water pressure so I changed rooms and it was fine.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating.

For this and all future reviews I'm going to start rating internet, towels and toilet paper on a 1 to 5 ranking.

Internet - 2/5 I was able to stream video (Hulu/Netflix) during the day but after 6 pm or so forget it.

Toilet paper - 1/5 Ugh, I need to start bringing my own when I travel.

Towels - 3/5

I've spent a ton of time in Rochester over the last few months while working in Webster and prefer to be in the downtown area and commute rather than stay in Webster. This hotel was perfect for that. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I liked staying on the ground floor better than the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We''re glad you enjoyed your stay here and we're especially thrilled to hear that you found added value in the area surrounding the hotel. While there are many fine hotels in the Rochester suburbs of Webster, Henrietta, and Victor, the growing number local shops, restaurants, and attractions found in the East End neighborhood can simply not be found anywhere else in Monroe County. We appreciate your constructive comments about our in-room amenities and hope you visit again soon as we are always striving to produce the best guest experience possible.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I spent several nights at this hotel in early May and overall it was good experience. The location is great, with easy walking distance to the Arts Area, Memorial Art Gallery, George Eastman House and good restaurants. There's plenty of free parking and lot was pretty secure. My room was a basic single queen but it did the job as a quiet, clean, comfortable place to crash after a long day. The bedding was fantastic, especially the pillows. I have trouble with hotel pillows and always travel with my own. This time my own pillow wasn't needed. The flat screen tv in each room is mounted to the wall and though I'm not a big tv person, it was also nice to enjoy from the bed after a long day. The room / bathroom were clean with plenty of nice towels and other amenities, including an in-room safe, coffee maker, iron / board.
The hotel is in somewhat of a transition, with two of the four buildings fully renovated while the other lookiing old and rundown. I peeped into building #2 and it smelled really bad so hopefully that will be renovated soon. Make sure to request a room on the even-numbered side of the building. From the second floor window in my room I had a beautiful view of a park with trees in bloom and plenty of birds and rabbits to watch from the window each morning. Really peaceful and nice. The other side of hotel is view of parking lot.
The complimentary breakfast was pretty much the standard buffet-style carb fest (no eggs, hot items) but there's fresh fruit and the waffles didn't look bad. I ended up visiting The Buzz at Wegman's down the street (a couple miles up, in between University and East Ave). For $2.50 you can get a really nice breakfast sandwich on multigrain English Muffin.
There's a restaurant adjacent to the hotel lobby, just across parking lot, but I didn't try. When I went in it was really crowded but there are many places within walking distance. I recommend Edibles or Starry Nights on University. Across the street is an excellent dessert place.
I'd stay at this hotel again when I return to Rochester.

Room Tip: opt for room on the even-numbered side of building to get a nice little view of nature. second floor...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and we're especially pleased to hear that sampled some of the fine cuisine found in Rochester's East End. We'd like to let you know that as the revitalization of the property nears completion the traveler experience found on this corner of Rochester will only get better. We hope you visit again soon, you still have lots to see!

Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed here for a wedding recently and left generally disappointed. I would not stay here again. We stayed in a suite that has a king bed, and a sofa bed with a kitchenette. The room was equipped with enough blankets and pillows for 2 people, even though they knew we had our two kids. It was clean, and modernly decorated. There were no tables to eat (it had a kitchenette). Plenty of room for a table. We huddles around this dinky coffee table to eat. There were no table lamps, and no ceiling lamps. I think the location is wonderful but the hotel itself has a LOT of potential. Missing lots of opportunity in this great neighborhood. The customer service was almost non-existent. Almost every staff encounter was luke warm. Staff was unapologetic when one of our family members nicely returned a dish that was under cooked (raw chicken served) or sloppily dressed (bar tender), check-in staff (a monotone receptionist that made no eye contact). It was almost unbelievable, because they were advertising this "newly renovated" hotel in this posh neighborhood of Rochester. No efforts were made during this renovation to help doors not slam loudly, or room noise not to travel through walls. We were there for a wedding--so that comes with its own level of crazy. We heard people all night. Plus, there was a hockey team there. Just awful levels of noise all through the night. The hotel seemed understaffed, and in desperate need to customer service training. It was ok....but we weren't overly impressed by any means.

Room Tip: I think the suites are very spacious, but if you have kids or more than 2--request enough bedding et...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank mnewbrough

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're sorry to hear that your stay with us was less than ideal. We'd like to let you know that comments like yours help us to rethink the service and amenities we provide to our guests in order to improve on the experience we provide to every visitor that sets foot on the property. Please contact the manager directly if you would like to try us again so we can live up to our promise to guarantee the satisfaction of every guest.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We stayed one night, in a fantastic quiet room with an amazing view. The room was very comfortable - one of the better beds I've slept in. The room design was modern, clean and calm, with natural greys tans and browns. We just gave a sigh of relief when we saw it after a day on the road. Our room was in the renovated section. Although there was construction work going on the next morning, we didn't even know about it until we went out for a walk.

The staff was professional, welcoming and helpful. The price was very reasonable considering the overall quality. One of our best stays ever.

Most reviewers would show photos of the room itself, but here are a couple of views from the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here. It's nice to see that you posted some photos from your visit. The beautiful East Avenue neighborhood is our favorite part about being here too! We hope you visit again soon!

Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights in March and it was definitely adequate for what I needed! Good price, comfortable bed, really plush towels, good water pressure, wall-mounted big screen TV. I do wish there was a mirror in the room or just more room decor--brown on brown got a little depressing after the first night! Also, since they are undergoing renovations there is an old, cold part of the hotel that you have to walk through to get to your room--a little creepy and dingy but the new part is great. Be prepared to walk up and down a couple different stairways of 7-10 steps with your luggage, that was a slight struggle.

But, the staff are wonderful and they are super helpful and friendly in getting you around town with the shuttle van. The complimentary breakfast is also a big plus. I would stay here again. The lobby is also modern and beautiful.

Room Tip: I believe they are only putting guests in renovated rooms at this point. I stayed in a double bed ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you enjoyed your stay here and its great to hear that you found our experienced and professional staff to be helpful during your visit. While the hotel is currently in the process of a remodel, the only rooms we are renting are ones that have been refurbished since 2013. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Was in town for a training and the pictures and recent reviews on TripAdvisor sold me. Room is very nice, bed was comfortable. Pillows were great that's a huge plus for me. Staff was very friendly. I stayed in a newly decorated room and was not disappointed. Heat was perfect, water was nice and hot and plenty of soft towels. I will stay here again in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you found the accommodations pleasant and comfortable for your business-related visit to Rochester. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I checked in mid-January with minus temperatures in Rochester - prob not the busiest season. I got one of the newly renovated rooms, which I presume you should ask for. Everything was fine - ample towels, fan / heater in good working order, new fixtures, completely clean. Other reviewers said the bed was a bit high - indeed, but so what - amazingly comfortable and the height perhaps prevents critters from getting in. Room was very peaceful and quiet but that's also due to the fact that few others seemed to be there. Wireless connection was fast and free. Not a TV guy but big flatscreen on the wall. Was perfect and no complaints.

Room Tip: I think they are renovating on a rolling basis. Ask for a newly renovated room. I stayed on the seco...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
eastaveinn, Manager at The East Avenue Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review The East Avenue Inn & Suites. We're glad you found your stay here comfortable even during the recent cold spell. We'd like to let you know that with our grand re-opening last summer we are only renting our well-appointed recently renovated guest rooms and suites. The renovation project is expected to be complete this year with all-new restaurant, City Grill Rochester, and reception space, Ballroom 384, to be opening this Spring.