“clean and a good night's rest before an early flight”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed September 19, 2008

We stayed here for 1 night before an early morning flight out of ROC.

Check-in was easy, but they had us in a smoking room with 2 kids and an infant. Ooops. No problem, they got us a new room, and on the first floor which was convenient and easy. They provided a crib vs. a pack-n-play, but the room was a little tight to fit it in. However, the bathroom was gigantic! I was able to rearrange everything in the suitcase in the bathroom while the kids fell asleep in the room.

There are sleep number beds, but I don't think we had the remote for it. It didn't matter though because we were so tired any number would have been fine. No problems with a 4am wakeup call either.

There was a shuttle to the airport, but we ended up driving to return the rental car. In hindsight, maybe we should have dropped the car off the night before and shuttled over in the morning to make it less hassle that early in the morning. Parking at the hotel was free also.

There is a gas station down the street with reasonable prices, and several chain eateries close by (Carrabba's, Applebee's, etc.) There is also a new shopping/dining area next door with a huge two-story Barnes and Noble.

We had a good experience with the hotel and would recommend to others staying in the area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2008

Spent one night while travelling by myself with 2 dogs from Tennessee to Vermont. I have a physical handicap and the staff could not have been nicer about accomodating me. Extremely pet-friendly. Acres of clean, short grass to walk the pooches. Good food at the bar. Room was nothing special, but clean and quiet.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 25, 2008

We were at the hotel for a Military Reunion. We have never been to the Rochester area and found it to be lovely. The friendliness of the management and staff made our stay very comfortable.

My husband and myself will go back to the area/hotel on our own to see the attractions, enjoy the wonderful hospitality and once again check out the sleep number bed we had.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed April 4, 2008

I was just in Rochester for two days and stayed at the Radisson. I was there for business and the reason I stayed at this hotel was because of it's location to my business meetings. I was fine with this because I stayed at the same hotel 2 years ago for a night.

Upon arrival, the lobby was nice and the woman behind the desk was friendly enough. She checked me in promptly and gave me my room key. I went to my room and the first thing that I noticed was the room was very close to the elevator. I was a little nervous about the noise from the elevator, but I went in and checked out the room anyway. Once I was in the room with the door shut, I sat on the bed and listened very carefully for the sounds of the elevator, it seemed to be muffled enough from the heat-A/C blower, I didn't think it would be a problem. Plus, I'm not a light sleeper and I was pretty exhausted from my long trip. I continued to inspect the room. Overall, the room was "okay." The furniture was a little dirty, the carpet was a little worn, the fixtures were a little old... nothing was filthy, but like I said, just "okay." I was excited about the bed because they have upgraded to Select Comfort air mattress beds. I have one of these at home and they can be great and they're not cheap mattresses!

After unpacking, I went downstairs for a glass of wine and a steak dinner at their bar/restaurant. There was a DJ with a sound system set up, which was kind of funny because it was a Tuesday night and there only 3 people at the bar. But I didn't mind because he had classic rock playing at a low volume. Food was OK and the people working there were very friendly.

OK, so back to the room... after a night's sleep here are my thoughts...

The bed: not super comfortable. I adjusted the sleep number (the firmness of the mattress), but it didn't seem to help a lot. It wasn't necessarily uncomfortable, just not up to my expectations of Select Comfort beds.

The elevator proximity: I should have requested a new room. I could here the elevator all night. Every time the door opens and closes it beeps.

The room temperature: I had the thermostat set at a comfortable temperature, it was fine for a few hours while I watched TV. However, I woke up two or three times in the middle of the night and it was HOT! I'd have to pull the covers back, then it got freezing cold. Not fun.

Other noises: They have a small refrigerator in the room. When the condenser would cycle on, it would sometimes rattle... not a fun noise.

Shower: Not a very comfortable shower head spray... kind of reminded me of a garden hose.

Now for the things that I did like:

Free wireless internet was very nice since I had my laptop with me. There were no clear instructions how to get it to work. You need a username and password, but after fishing around for a while, I found instructions for printing documents and there was a username/password for that... that also worked for the internet.

The free shuttle - I used this to go back to the airport. The driver was very nice and extremely prompt.

So that's about it. Again, not terrible... but certainly nothing to write home about. I'm glad the company paid for it instead of me.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 3, 2008

I wouldn't stay there except if you have no other choice or travel with a bottle of bleach & dishwashing detergent or your own drinkware!

First off the positive:
· rooms appeared clean
· beds were fairly new
· pillows were clean and fresh smelling
· Sheets were soft and nice
· comforter was fluffy and white
· hotel appeared recently remodeled

I stayed there two and a half days & three nights with friends for a group quilting retreat organized by the best quilt shop for 75 miles, The Ivy Thimble. We in no way hold the shop responsible for the negatives experienced at the Airport Radisson.

Now for the Negative:
· The elevator near the front lobby was broken. So you either have to walk way down to the other side of the hotel to use the elevator or use the stairwell that you have to go outside (into the snow mind you) to enter and exit from the first floor.
· The Ladies Lobby Restroom, not only did the housekeeping staff neglect to empty the individual stall waste-bins but they placed behemoth roll of those lever type dispenser paper towels just sitting on the edge of the vanity for guests to use. This was in lieu of using the bi-fold paper towel dispenser on the wall. When I mentioned this to another retreat attendee she said we should be happy to have paper towels, last year the hotel ran out of them and they didn’t even have paper towels.
· The Dining room in the restaurant had dead Narcissus plants on every table. The flowers that had been in bloom were not only dead; they were dried out & discolored from just being there. The actual green leaves were still alive… the flowers were dead and had been for days. We removed them from the table and place them on an empty one only to find them back again for Friday evening dinner & Saturday Breakfast.
· The food: Mediocre at best, McDonalds could have catered the event with better quality food. Enough Said? The only remotely tasty food was the sandwich buffet for lunch on Friday, and that was because there was fresh horseradish to hide any flavor of cheap cuts of lunchmeat.
· On Saturday, the coffee service that was set up for us to use outside of our meeting room was not set up adequately or properly. For a group of 50 women, there was only average sized pump coffee dispensers that were constantly out of coffee, we had to beg for cups, glassware and it wasn’t until after lunch that any coffee stirrers were provided for the coffee service even though they had been requested several times all morning.
· 3:00 Saturday, due to the sad state of the lobby restrooms, I traveled up to the room to use our private bathroom. On the journey to the elevator (remember the main elevator was out of order) the housekeeping carts were scattered around the hallways (we were on the third floor). Not a dirty or clean glass or coffee mug was to be found. Nor did I see housekeeping pushing or pulling carts with anything that resembled clean or dirty dishes. The only thing on the carts related to glassware was a bag torn open that had the little white paper caps that you find on the so-called-clean-glassware. So I got nosy, wondering where the clean glasses were kept so I inspected the cart on the third floor, pulling it from the wall to inspect both sides, there wasn’t a single sign of clean or dirty glassware. So, I decided to pop into the room where housekeeper was working only to find her hand washing the drinking glasses in the bathroom sink.
· Housekeeping washes the glasses in the bathroom sink! I immediately went to the front desk to inform Abdul who was working at the moment of the situation. He reacted like a deer caught in the headlights of my car. After informing management of the situation they were apologetic and knew full well that they shouldn’t be doing so. Read on to get to the good part! Seriously!

I turned them into the Health Department on Monday morning and immediately Peter W. went out to inspect the situation. Upon investigation Frank Chikey who is the General Manager of the Radisson Airport, Rochester, NY; told Peter W. from the Health Department that washing the glassware for stay-overs is common practice there. Peter informed them that that is in violation of Health Department rules & regulations and they had to stop that practice.

Washing Glassware in the Bathroom is Common Practice for Stayovers! I personally saw a housekeeper washing the drinkware in the bathroom sink, I would hazard to guess that that is common practice for every room regardless of stay-overs or not!

· Needless to say, when they did finally clean our room on Saturday, the dirty wine glasses & restaurant mugs were not removed; they were stacked on the fridge/microwave unit. Not impressed.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights with a hockey team. These trips can be tiresome, and it was. Lots of shopping between games. We had a room close to the elevator, not a good place to be, but the place was booked solid with a wedding as well. Sleep number beds, don't by them. They were ok though. Lobby and restaurant were quite good. Pool is huge, empty when we were in it. Lots of chlorine though. Fridges and microwaves in every room, although it wasn't on the website. Nice bonus. Close to RIT campus, great place for my daily jogs.

• Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 18, 2007

Stayed overnight at this hotel for business - my preferred hotel was booked, so I wound up here. Got in from the airport around 10:00 at night, and when I entered the building, there was "club" music blaring from the lounge area. I was a little irritated with that, and even more so when the room they had available was on the first floor across the lobby from the lounge.

Luckily, when I shut my door, I couldn't hear the music. However, the room was not very clean - I think they had forgotten to vacuum the room earlier, as there was gravel near the foot of the bed and lint in other spots. The bathroom and bed seemed tidy enough, and at 10:00, and I was too tired to change rooms or hotels. The television was on its way out, but the bed, pillows and duvet were actually very comfortable.

Would not choose here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business