“Unclean, Unfriendly, Unworthy”

Ranked #9 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Unclean, Unfriendly, Unworthy”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The hotel is old and not well maintained. It's as if Radisson purchased a a run down old Best Western and slapped the Radisson name on it. The elevators were either shut down or sporadic. The hotel has a dingy, dilapidated feel to it. Pillows and sheets were both dirty and stained (yes stained and we couldn't get new ones.) Bathroom didn't have a fan so after a shower water is literally dripping from the ceiling. When we checked in the women working the check-in desk was unfriendly, flustered and probably shouldn't be in the hospitality business. Better yet, she was a supervisor. No guest wants to be made to feel unwelcome. The hotel manager was no better in that department. All-in-all a terrible experience. I wouldn't recommend this place.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
I am very sorry that you experienced problems during your stay. Please contact me so I can get more detailes from your stay. I will be sure to address the issues you experienced during your stay. We want all of our guests to have a great stay and your comments are important to us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Redcliff
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here for one night and I found the hotel to be mediocre. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable; I would give the hotel good marks for the most important things. However, there were two things that really annoyed me. The hotel was very noisy. There was a lot of noise from the hallway and the door wasn’t stopping any of it. Some loud guests woke me up and I actually hoped that the air conditioning unit would turn on and drown them out. After I fell asleep again, I was woken up by someone opening our door. I had to yell at them that we hadn’t checked out yet. The person would have walked right in if it hadn’t been for the latch lock. I think the person was a maintenance or renovation worker as he or she was also able to open the adjacent rooms and there were tools in the hallway. Hotel management should be telling their employees and contractors to not enter any rooms before they’ve checked with the front desk. I’d like to give this hotel 3.5 stars but since that option doesn’t exist, I’ll have to give it 3 because it doesn’t deserve 4. I would recommend this hotel since the noise and worker issues were likely chance occurrences and another guest is unlikely to encounter them.

Room Tip: A room in an already renovated area and at the end of the hallway might be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
I am very sorry that you experienced noise during your stay. We will make sure that the staff uses the proper procedure for entering a room. Thank you for your comments.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed on the 10th and 11th of July, 2013.
We booked through Hotwire and telephoned the hotel asking for a room with a king bed. the request was granted and honored. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Wifi connection worked flawlessly throughout our stay. There was plenty of parking, and all of the staff that we encountered were extremely helpful and cheerfully polite. We did not use the pool, hot tub, nor restaurant.
This hotel is just west of marketplace Mall, and very centrally located in Henrietta.
Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RetiredVetzz
Thank you for your positive comments, we will be sure to share them with the team.
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just completed a four night stay at this property and I must say that while it wasn't the worst hotels at which I have stayed, it wasn't far from it. We were in room 231.

We won this property on Priceline. Our total rate with tax came to $70 per night. I had to keep reminding myself of that throughout the stay. It was more than 50% off than had I stayed at another hotel in the area.

This is by no means a true "airport" hotel, but that is another issue.

Here are the pros:
It is very conveniently located if you are doing anything with RIT. No doubt about it. It is less than five minutes from restaurants, stores, shops, etc.

The staff was quite friendly and that is always nice. They were kind enough to pre-block our room and put a crib in their for my son. The towels were nice, the sheets were good (though the fitted sheets don't actually fit), the room was well lit and the bed was comfortable (once you figured out your number). The shower was okay and the shampoo and soap were quite good.

Plenty of parking and very easy to find the hotel.

The cons (All of these as an individual problem would not be a big deal but in the aggregate made it a less than satisfying stay):
The lighting in the bathroom was quite dingy and there was no ventilation.

The room was a bit small and there was a large, soft lounge chair with an ottoman in the room. It was far too big for the space in the room. And it was dirty with stains on it.

The wireless internet signal was weak.

The carpet had debris on it that was never vacuumed during our stay. Not as if it was in an obscure place, it was in the hall in front of the closet. Your socks got dirty from walking on the carpet. It makes me wonder if they ever vacuum or if the vacuums weren't sufficient. My hunch is that it was the latter as I saw several of them and they looked old an decrepit. I saw these as they always seemed to leave the service closets open on the floor.

There is quite a limited number of TV stations available and none of them in HD despite being an HD television. This wasn't convenient as you will see below.

On the second night, we called and asked for a wake-up call at 7:00 AM. It never came. It wasn't a big deal as I was, unfortunately, awake at that time--more on that shortly. But it could have been devastating for someone else that had relied on it.

On our third morning, I left a note asking the housekeeper to replace the sheet for the crib and left a tip as well (usually do when traveling with my son). We left the room at 9:30 in the morning and returned 12 hours later. There was no sheet for the crib. And no towels had been replaced so we only had one bath towel and a hand towel for three of us. The housekeeper was kind enough to take the tip then not do what I requested AND not do what she was supposed to do. Fortunately, someone at the front desk was nice enough to get us what we needed.

Finally, the AC unit in the room was the loudest and most disturbing unit of any hotel I have ever been in. Whenever it kicked on, you might as well have had a diesel car in the room, as far as the sound. It did a pretty good job of keeping everything cool but it was loud, loud, loud. It was so loud that it wasn't until the third night that I finally bought earplugs and was able to sleep. It was so loud that once it kicked on, you couldn't watch TV without cranking the volume. Which is why the limited channel selection didn't matter. While it would have been nice to watch something while being kept awake by the AC, you couldn't hear anything anyway.

Again, other than the ridiculously loud AC, everything else in a singular instance wouldn't be bad but combine everything and you have a less than satisfactory stay.

Would I suggest one avoid this property if it were one night and a cheap rate? No. But be well aware of the situation. There are better choices if you are willing to pay more. And we will pay more and go elsewhere from this point forward.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, especially the dirtiness of your room and the very loud AC unit. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. Also, we are sorry for the disappointing service you received from our staff in regards to housekeeping services and not receiving your morning wake up call. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best “Yes I Can!” service.
Illinois
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Clean, nice staff, well maintained. Walking distance to RIT. Shuttle. Watch for last minute deals. Short ride from the airport. Walking distance to places to eat or take the FREE shuttle from the hotel. No car is needed for a visit when staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chicritic
Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us again when visiting RIT.
toronto
Reviewed July 4, 2013

First impression as driving up- Very nice,beautiful grounds.

Rooms-Comfortable beds, clean. The reno work was not done by professional tradesmen though. The quality was quite bad, paint runs, bad grouting etc....

Pool- quite nice. Wasn't sure if it was salt or chlorine. Kind of tasted like both. Large pool.

The breakfast buffet is really bad. Food quality poor,presentation bad. Service horrendous.

Very clean amenities.

Front desk personnel were great

Overall quite happy except for buffet breakfast

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank TorontoMan T
Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us when you are in Rochester.
Claremont, NC
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here one night on the 3rd floor (Room 319). I took a chance and won a bid on Hotwire. I thought the place was nice, clean and the staff called about an hour after I checked in to make sure I liked the room. They had a free shuttle to the airport and I really needed that instead of paying $30 for a cab ride.

Room Tip: Order delivery from a local business. Lots of them deliver.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us when you are in town.