“May not be worth it”

Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport
Ranked #10 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We just completed a four night stay at this property and I must say that while it wasn't the worst hotels at which I have stayed, it wasn't far from it. We were in room 231.

We won this property on Priceline. Our total rate with tax came to $70 per night. I had to keep reminding myself of that throughout the stay. It was more than 50% off than had I stayed at another hotel in the area.

This is by no means a true "airport" hotel, but that is another issue.

Here are the pros:
It is very conveniently located if you are doing anything with RIT. No doubt about it. It is less than five minutes from restaurants, stores, shops, etc.

The staff was quite friendly and that is always nice. They were kind enough to pre-block our room and put a crib in their for my son. The towels were nice, the sheets were good (though the fitted sheets don't actually fit), the room was well lit and the bed was comfortable (once you figured out your number). The shower was okay and the shampoo and soap were quite good.

Plenty of parking and very easy to find the hotel.

The cons (All of these as an individual problem would not be a big deal but in the aggregate made it a less than satisfying stay):
The lighting in the bathroom was quite dingy and there was no ventilation.

The room was a bit small and there was a large, soft lounge chair with an ottoman in the room. It was far too big for the space in the room. And it was dirty with stains on it.

The wireless internet signal was weak.

The carpet had debris on it that was never vacuumed during our stay. Not as if it was in an obscure place, it was in the hall in front of the closet. Your socks got dirty from walking on the carpet. It makes me wonder if they ever vacuum or if the vacuums weren't sufficient. My hunch is that it was the latter as I saw several of them and they looked old an decrepit. I saw these as they always seemed to leave the service closets open on the floor.

There is quite a limited number of TV stations available and none of them in HD despite being an HD television. This wasn't convenient as you will see below.

On the second night, we called and asked for a wake-up call at 7:00 AM. It never came. It wasn't a big deal as I was, unfortunately, awake at that time--more on that shortly. But it could have been devastating for someone else that had relied on it.

On our third morning, I left a note asking the housekeeper to replace the sheet for the crib and left a tip as well (usually do when traveling with my son). We left the room at 9:30 in the morning and returned 12 hours later. There was no sheet for the crib. And no towels had been replaced so we only had one bath towel and a hand towel for three of us. The housekeeper was kind enough to take the tip then not do what I requested AND not do what she was supposed to do. Fortunately, someone at the front desk was nice enough to get us what we needed.

Finally, the AC unit in the room was the loudest and most disturbing unit of any hotel I have ever been in. Whenever it kicked on, you might as well have had a diesel car in the room, as far as the sound. It did a pretty good job of keeping everything cool but it was loud, loud, loud. It was so loud that it wasn't until the third night that I finally bought earplugs and was able to sleep. It was so loud that once it kicked on, you couldn't watch TV without cranking the volume. Which is why the limited channel selection didn't matter. While it would have been nice to watch something while being kept awake by the AC, you couldn't hear anything anyway.

Again, other than the ridiculously loud AC, everything else in a singular instance wouldn't be bad but combine everything and you have a less than satisfactory stay.

Would I suggest one avoid this property if it were one night and a cheap rate? No. But be well aware of the situation. There are better choices if you are willing to pay more. And we will pay more and go elsewhere from this point forward.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of your room, especially the dirtiness of your room and the very loud AC unit. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. Also, we are sorry for the disappointing service you received from our staff in regards to housekeeping services and not receiving your morning wake up call. Our team works hard to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive our best “Yes I Can!” service.

There are newer reviews for Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Clean, nice staff, well maintained. Walking distance to RIT. Shuttle. Watch for last minute deals. Short ride from the airport. Walking distance to places to eat or take the FREE shuttle from the hotel. No car is needed for a visit when staying here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank chicritic
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us again when visiting RIT.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

First impression as driving up- Very nice,beautiful grounds.

Rooms-Comfortable beds, clean. The reno work was not done by professional tradesmen though. The quality was quite bad, paint runs, bad grouting etc....

Pool- quite nice. Wasn't sure if it was salt or chlorine. Kind of tasted like both. Large pool.

The breakfast buffet is really bad. Food quality poor,presentation bad. Service horrendous.

Very clean amenities.

Front desk personnel were great

Overall quite happy except for buffet breakfast

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank TorontoMan T

Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us when you are in Rochester.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here one night on the 3rd floor (Room 319). I took a chance and won a bid on Hotwire. I thought the place was nice, clean and the staff called about an hour after I checked in to make sure I liked the room. They had a free shuttle to the airport and I really needed that instead of paying $30 for a cab ride.

Room Tip: Order delivery from a local business. Lots of them deliver.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. Please come back and see us when you are in town.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I'd recommend this hotel if you get a good Priceline (or other discount-booking) deal.

The room was clean and up to date. The bed was comfortable and had lots of pillows. The bathroom was clean and the soaps and lotions were above average in quality. This hotel has a nice lobby and pool area.

Where this hotel falls short is in the little details.

Late night check-in took over 10 minutes of waiting (there should have been more than one person working the front counter). Finally Lukas showed up, but he was pre-occupied with checking in flight crews from the airport, rather than dealing with the customers waiting in line. By the time we were served, there were quite a few tired guests wanting service. If I hadn't pre-booked my room, I would have walked away and gone elsewhere.

While the room ceiling, walls, TV, cabinets, and bed were in good condition, the furniture and carpet in the room had stains. The coffeemaker items (creams and sweetners) had splatter marks on them from a previous guest's brewing. One of the water glasses had an eyelash in it (ick!).

There was no list of television channels available anywhere in the room. Most decent hotels will have a list near the TV or in the guestbook. Also missing from the room was a comment card to advise housekeeing on items needing attention.

Only one slow elevator was serving four floors of hotel rooms. The second elevator was closed during renovations.

Here are some helpful hints if you are still interested in staying at the Radisson Rochester Airport location:

Some of the TV channels (as of June 15, 2013):
15 ABC
16 CBS
18 NBC
19 PBS
22 HBO

If you are bidding on Priceline, try an offer price below $55 for this area.

The rooms have refrigerators and microwave ovens. There is an excellent grocery store less than a five minute drive away (Wegman's... check the Tripadvisor Restaurant list for the Rochester area... it is highly ranked!). You can save money by getting prepared meals there and bringing them back to your room.

Again... I'd recommend this place ONLY if you can get a very good discount rate.

Room Tip: Very quiet room at the far end away from the elevator, but there is a LOT of walking involved.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments. The TV channels are listed when you pull them up on the TV with the remote. We will be receiving new chairs, lamps and lights in the next month as part of the renovation. Stop back and see us the next time you are in town.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for an overnight pitstop. Arriving rather late (around 9pm) at Rochester after a lengthy and tiring drive we found it quite surprising that almost all the restaurants around where already closed but to our delight the hotel's restaurant was open and served us with very nice and delicious meals.

The rooms are a bit small and a nothing special but very clean and that's exactly what we wanted for an overnight stay. The next morning's buffet was very good as well. Overall it provided all we were looking for: a nice, quite and clean place to stay and energize.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you for your positive comments. I will be sure to share them with the team. Please come back and see us when you are back in town.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The last two times I stayed here was through a 3rd party site. The hotel's staff tries hard. The hotel is well sited if you need to be in the area of RIT. Guest room walls are paper thin, beds are comfortable, the rooms seeemed reasonably clean, hotel has a small indoor pool; nothing else. Their site says spa blah, blah, blah but you have to go off-site for "spa facilities". they should simply say they have a small indoor pool and leave it at that. The restaurant closes early and the hotel is not in neighborhood, other than being next to RIT.
I wouldn't stay here unless I needed to be at RIT, or if it wasn't for the reduced rate 3rd party booking.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Thorner H

I am not sure you posted your review for the correct property. Our pool is one of the largest in the city, being 40 foot long and 9 feet deep. The area also has a fitness center and a game area as well as a guest laundry in the same area. Our site does not list that we offer a spa for the Radisson Rochester Airport.