“Incredibly Convienent”

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
Rochester, New York
“Incredibly Convienent”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My son will be attending RIT so this place is really convenient due to it being right on campus. Service is outstanding rooms are clean but small. No suites and only double beds$##@%^^! I am not that big but my double bed days are over! My husband and I need at least a queen I woke up twice with a god awful sensation that I was going to fall out of bed - C'mm lets get an upgrade! People are really friendly and the restaurant and bar are huge and inviting. Pool is at a wonderful 85 degrees. I would stay again but only if I could sleep alone.

Room Tip: Room on bottom floor close to all activities
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We do offer King size beds. You can request one on your next stay. Thanks for your positive comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

My experience in this hotel was really great. I stayed during October and I was sorry to know they had an indoor pool. Wish I brought my bathing suit! The staff were really accomodating, especially the people who served the breakfast buffet. They were friendly and were patient enough when I kept asking for around 2 days if a package came from California (my aunts were sending me something!). They were really nice about it.

Granted, staying there for 10 days, you would get sick of the breakfast buffet that they served everyday and virtually had no change whatsoever in the kind of food they served but there's a lot of choices from waffles to cereal to bacon and so forth.. so be sure to vary your food.

I liked the idea that they are very considerate of their disabled/handicapped guests. There are rooms specially catered to the Deaf and those who are wheelchair bound. Great, great stuff.

The hotel is right smack near RIT and there is a Barnes and Noble with a few restos that is a 10 minute walk or so. i have forgotten the name of the area. It is also beside some posh living quarters for students so all in all, it seemed safe enough.

The beds were really comfortable and the wifi access was fast and reliable. A really awesome hotel!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
htlmgr175, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments, we hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2013

As I see myself possibly coming up to Rochester more often, I was originally disappointed that there was no Starwood property near the city. I had an early morning event, so I checked-in in the early morning. The woman behind the desk recognized my Club Carlson status and I received a regular king room.

Let me say this, I was extremely relieved to see the signs in the lobby that they are in the process of renovating. Otherwise, I probably would have been more critical during my stay. The television was old (not an HD television) and the furniture and bedding wasn't very nice. It was clean but extremely worn. The bathroom was in the same condition.

In truth, the hotel has nothing wrong with it. It is just a little dated and will be getting a reservation. As rates tend to be under $100, I don't see how you can get any better than that. I look forward to seeing this hotel after the renovations. I hope that they will be completed as soon as possible. That being said, if you are considering this hotel and are not picky about the decor and you are on a budget, I would stay here. If you are expecting 4 star quality, I would would hold off...for now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CityGuy07052
I am sorry that we were renovating during your stay. We are excited about the new look and some of the wings are done at this time. Please come back and see us!
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Bid the hotel through Priceline for a VERY low price...had I paid the regular hotel rate, I would NOT have been very happy. Stayed for one night with my teenage kid and a couple of friends, just to get away from home (we live in the area) and use the pool. I'm familiar with the area, lots of shopping and restaurants close by and convenient.

The rooms are clean but very outdated and small. There was a mini fridge, microwave and single cup coffee maker. Just a very old feel to the whole place. They are in the process of renovating the hotel...which was being done while we were there. There was a notice upon entering the hotel but it was not information that was openly displayed on the website. It wasn't a big deal for us since we'd only be there for a night. I didn't expect to be woken up at 8am on a Sunday to the sound of construction though! There were also areas of the hotel sealed off at the end of the hallways with plastic where they were renovating. You could here the construction crew talking and working.

The pool area was nice and open. The furniture in the pool area was disgusting! The seat cushions on the chairs were torn and old, very dated. The lounge chairs were sticky and dirty. There were areas of the floor that were covered in ants. I did let maintenance know and they said it was because somebody brought food in the area and it's not allowed...understandable! He said he would take care of it but when we went back at night they were still there! We were sure to shake our towels and clothes off before leaving the pool area!

The staff was friendly at check in and throughout the night. When we asked for extra towels, they were prompt to accommodate. There was a used cot in the hallway next to our room when we checked in and it was still there when we checked out, not sure what that was all about.

The restaurant looked decent as well as the bar area although we didn't eat or drink there.

All and all, felt safe and good enough to lay your head down at night. If I were to do a short get-away in town again, I probably wouldn't choose this hotel unless I got a very low rate again.

Room Tip: We had a room with 2 double beds.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for posting your review. We appreciate your comments.
Clarence Center, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I need to start out by saying that we received a discount on our room so for what we got, we couldn't expect much more. But if we had paid the regular price, I would have been very upset. We stayed here for 2 nights for a hockey tournament. The people checking us in were very friendly and helpful. That's where the positives end. Our room was on the first floor and was extremely outdated. It was small and desperately needed renovating. It was small, the sheets did not fit the beds (kept rolling off)' the pillows were small and lumpy and there were not enough outlets in the room for our electronics. The bathroom was really bad...the wallpaper was peeling, the fixtures were old and the counter was so narrow that everything kept falling on the floor. The room was pretty clean but even though they cleaned the second day we were there,they did not vacuum. I guess for what we paid, we couldn't expect much more but I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: I heard that they are renovating the upper floors,ask for one of those rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Carlson Hotels C, Online, Customer Care at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We understand how important a comfortable bed is during your travels and we apologize we did not meet these expectations. We will discuss the conditions of your room with our staff to ensure all guest rooms are up to Radisson standards. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly or contact us at CCare@carlsonrezidor.com ~Dana
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at my fair share of Carlson properties. I will never book this hotel again. I should have known before I arrived from my 4hr trip when they couldn't find my reservation explaining that "it's because you called the 1800#". I actually called the local 585 number when booking this reservation and the front desk promptly put me through to the 1-800#. If that's not the correct number why patch people through for reservations? When booking I requested to be on the first floor or near an exit. I know that request cant always be honored. Unbeknownst to me this hotel only has one entrance & exit so if you're traveling with a dog like I am don't expect to be able to go out a side door & discreetly come back in. Instead you must walk your dog past everyone in the lobby in a mad rush for a potty break. Back to check-in...I'm not on a 1st floor which is okay. I'm on the 2nd because the 1st floor rooms are all blocked off for renovation. Note that this 2nd floor room smelled badly of cigarettes despite the hotel being smoke free & no smoking signs were posted. Around 12:30am on my dogs last trip to the bathroom for the night we go past the front desk (you know, because there is no side door that opens w/o sounding the fire alarm!) and the front desk clerk lets me know a room is open now & I can move in...at 12:30am. Huh? Were the renos completed in that 3hrs from my check-in? I moved my things despite how tired I was thinking it would help the dog/bathroom situation and I was staying another night. The next morning I ordered breakfast (a terrible dried up omelette & burnt toast) and left for the day. Fast forward to my return for the 2nd night of my stay...guests are notified via paper sign on front desk that Internet (wired & wireless) is out till Thurs! The supervisor came out when she overheard my conversation with the front desk clerk to also tell me sorry not much they can do and I can leave if I need to. I'm now trying to find a hotel in the area that can take me & my dog in. I'm here on business travel & carved out tonight to do about 4hrs of work on my computer. Now I'm SOL writing a lengthy review of this place with 3G on my iPad. There are barely any channels on the TV, the food is terrible, dog friendly is a joke, the front desk people seem clueless (I called on my way in doublechecking how long room service was for dinner & you would have thought I asked for the solution to an algebra equation). The only saving grace here is the bar.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jsweeney084
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
We apologize for the problems you encountered while staying at our hotel. We take your comments very seriously and will use them for training and to improve our standards.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. Impressed with the in-room fridge and microwave. Nice lobby and bar/restaurant area. A previous reviewer mentioned a complimentary breakfast but I was told there wasn't one available during my stay.

The heater was rather loud. Had to crank up the tv volume whenever the fan started up. It didn't wake me up in the middle of the night fortunately. Disappointed I was not recognized as an elite Club Carlson member.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Grant C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rochester
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Rochester Airport - University Area
Radisson Hotel Rochester Riverside
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Rochester - Marketplace
Staybridge Suites Rochester University
Home2 Suites by Hilton Rochester Henrietta
Hampton Inn & Suites Rochester / Henrietta

Been to Radisson Hotel Rochester Airport? Share your experiences!