“Great Experience!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chatted with a manager at the hotel before booking and Courtney did a great job of helping us! As Canadians, we like to do some cross border shopping, but also wanted to visit the Finger Lakes region. She gave us tremendous advice and we had an excellent time over the May 2-4 weekend. The hotel is right downtown and easy to find. Very clean and welcoming staff. Hit the Dinosaur BBQ just down the street!

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor if you can.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and it convenient Downtown Rochester location. We are glad you got to enjoy the Finger Lake Region and I am extremely happy Courtney was able to assist you during your visit. She is wonderful! We will see you next trip. All the best.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 29, 2013

This hotel brought with it both pro's and con's during my families stay over Memorial Day weekend 2013.

First of all - Downtown Rochester is a world unto itself. It is dated, tired, and tried hard to be something it is not. In many ways, the Hyatt Regency Rochester was a reflection of the city is resides in.

Let's start with the "bad" so that we can end the review on a good note. First of all, the air conditioner in the room struggled. It took hours - literally hours - to cool off. We were on the 18th floor, and we got a lot of light, but the air conditioning struggled to keep the temperature cool. Secondly, our bathroom had three absurdly long hairs on the floor and walls of the shower, and while the bathroom was "neat" it was far from clean. It appeared as though the housekeeping staff had put fresh towels and soap in the bathroom, but done absolutely nothing else. We had half a roll of toilet paper, and a questionably sticky floor to accompany the hairs in the shower. Thirdly, the carpet in our room was as dated as downtown Rochester itself. It was dusty, slightly torn up, and tearing against the base boards. Lastly, there were some miscommunications with the housekeeping staff. One of our two rooms was not cleaned. We then brought it to the attention of the front desk staff, who said they were "sending someone up immediately". Six hours later, when we got back to the hotel, it was still dirty. So, we went to dinner, asked again, and finally, at 10pm, our room was cleaned and the bed was changed.

Now for the "good". The lobby was very clean, and the staff was very presentable. Parking was validated and very reasonably priced. The front desk staff made every attempt to be attentive, and communicated very well. The televisions in the rooms were big, and the rooms themselves were large. Lastly, our family was able to get two adjoining rooms, at the end of a hallway, and this made it quiet and easy to sleep at night.

So, there was good......and bad. It won't be my first choice when I return to Rochester, but I wouldn't avoid it either. Try other places first, but if worse comes to worse, the Hyatt wouldn't be a bad place to stay.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the hall. The place stays busy into the night, and it can be loud.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I apologize for the condition of your room.Your feedback is crucial in helping us continuously improve our hotel and guest service.

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your satisfaction is always our top priority. We appreciate the staff comments as we pride ourselves on great customer service. We hope you will give us another chance to serve you better.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have never written a review on a hotel before, only have read them, I keep aware of the pros and cons, cause I'm the type of person who likes to see it first for myself. Well to begin, we stayed one night last week, we were well excited to stay at A HYATT. We have never stayed at one before. The location is great, very central close to everything especially when you have a baby & a toddler with you.
We checked in quite late, after 11pm after a long drive. There was no one at the front desk. I waited a couple of minutes and still no one popped out to see if there were any guests around. I then yelled "Hello!" finally the clerk came out. Check in was quite rough, I felt as though I was not welcomed and was spoken to with a negative tone, I was also trying to give the clerk the word of the week for complimentary parking & free wireless for our stay. Finally, she asked me & I told her. She then told me there is no complimentary parking, parking is $4 only free wireless with the word of the week. How does that make any sense when you log on to their facebook page it literally says "Make sure you take advantage of this weeks WORD of the week for complimentary parking and free wireless internet for the duration of your stay.....this weeks word is.... blah blah blah.... (i said to myself "fine i will brush that off") after continued back to my car with my hubby & babies waiting. We realized a upscale hotel has no bell man to help with lots of baggage, it's more like do it yourself.
We finally get into our room, it was clean, but a little out dated and the crib for my baby was there as requested. As we were settling in the room, I had politely called the front desk for extra towels and amenities that were available for guests listed on a card on the desk, I requested for slippers and baby shampoo. When the housekeeping person came he said that they have never seen any slippers nor baby shampoo anywhere in their stock room. I was quite shocked. (I brushed that off too) Finally I was trying to get my babys crib all set up with the provided duvet (no sheets). With big disappointment the duvet had rolled up balls of feather (the duvet was not dried up properly to fluff the feather in them) NOw, how do you expect a baby to sleep on a duvet and no provided sheets? But regardless why given a duvet why not sheets or a blanket? We were furious & too tired to really complain. I then called again for a blanket. Housekeeper came by & gave me a coverlet ( are you serious? was this a joke?) I told him I requested a blanket. He says " we don't have anymore blankets." Really? A hotel with 338 rooms there are no extra blankets? We then took the sheets off our bed and used it for the crib.
I have to say, we stayed at this property on a special discounted rate, must one have to be treated negatively? We will not come back again, if we do come back to visit Rochester we will stay at our regular hotel brands and feel welcomed at a discounted or non discounted rate.
I have worked in the hotel industry in the past, so I really know how it is.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us a thorough review of your stay with us. Your feedback is crucial in helping us continuously improve our hotel and guest service. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your satisfaction is always our top priority and in your case we obviously had a lack of service. I apologize the WORD of the week program did caused a concern during your check in. I can assure you the team at the front office is typically great with our guests. We wish our service would have been better during your visit as I know we can and will do better. Thank you again.
Tonawanda, New York, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently attended a conference in downtown Rochester and stayed at the Hyatt. It was easy to get too, and well situated. When I arrived early, i was warmly greeted, and my room was ready before 10:00 AM. This allowed me to take a conference call for work in peace and quiet. The hotel was neat and clean. My room was very quiet.

I didn't use the restaurant, so I can't comment on that. My room was a very good size, the bed was very comfortable. I got great water pressure in the shower, which in my travels, is frequently not the case. Check out was accurate, quick and easy. The price was very reasonable

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad you enjoyed the conference here with us and as always on your next trip to Rochester we will again attempt to have your room ready for you at such an early hour. We really would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. We alway appreciate feedback as we strive for perfection for all our guests. Take care and we hope to see you soon
Burlington, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I would like to personally thank GR (One of the managers), for his help in booking my next trip to Rochester. Because of his extraordinary customer service, I will always stay at the Hyatt when possible traveling on business. I am a frequent business traveler who has been staying at your Rochester Hyatt about every other work week since February. While trying to book my next trip, I was told the Hyatt was completely booked and I would have to stay elsewhere. While double checking at the front desk to make sure there was no open room, I encountered GR. With his dedication to me as a frequent business traveler, he was able to find a room for my next trip. It is customer service like this that will not only keep me coming back but also make Hyatt my first choice when traveling.
I would also like to say, the rooms are always clean and the service is great. The staff at the front desk always greets me with a smile and goes out of their way to meet my needs as a business traveler.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your 5 star review on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and I know Gr has read the review and appreciated the comments you left. Gr is our General Manager an an example of the customer service we all try and provide here at the Hyatt Regency Rochester. Thank you again and we will see you next time.
Waunakee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was quite surprised to read the raving reviews that others have given this property. I stay in hotels almost every week and this one was average at best. With the exception of the lobby, this hotel is well worn. I had a room with a king size bed and there were only three pillows. I realize that I could have requested additional pillows and did not. The service in the restaurant was SLOW. This property does not compete with much in downtown Rochester therefore it is the best of the choices. On a positive note, the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear our staff was accomodating during your visit. We do apologize the hotel decor was not to your liking. We continue to work on our cleanliness and decor so hopefully your next visit we will be able to delight you. We hope to see you back again. Take care.
Buffalo
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This hotel was ideally located for our daughter's college graduation at the nearby Blue Cross Arena. The hotel is well-kept with very courteous employees. Our family had three rooms and they were perfect. No complaints from anyone. Comparing notes, the rooms were clean, the beds were very comfortable and the showers were refreshing with good water pressure. This is how I rate my stays when I travel. My hats off to the Hyatt Regency Rochester. Well-done!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Courtney M, Front Office Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for the review on trip advisor. We are glad you choose the Hyatt Regency Rochester! We will definitely pass along the great comments to the team! Hope to see you next time.