“Tired hotel and incompetent staff”

Hyatt Regency Rochester
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Catonsville, Maryland
“Tired hotel and incompetent staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was a business trip for me arranged by our corporate travel agents.
As with all my other business trips to various hotels across the US, our corporate credit credit was given with instructions for all charges to be made against this card. As usual I gave my personal debit card details on arrival for incidentals. Two days after getting home I found that the front desk staff had charged everything to my personal DC, despite the instructions to have everything placed on the corporate CC. After numerous phone calls, a further two days and enlisting the help of the corporate travel agents they finally stated that a refund had been made to my account. I contacted my bank and no refund was pending or being processed.

At the time of writing this review I'm still chasing my money through the minefield of incompetence that seems to be this hotels management.

Generally, the hotel is tired, apart from the bar area that has recently been refurbished.

Sincerely hoping I don't have to make a return visit to this hotel. If I need to be in Rochester again I will be making arrangements to stay at a hotel other than the Hyatt.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for the review. I apologize our hotel could not meet your needs and wish you all the best of luck. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Korean first
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

We went for a wedding and rented a suite. The surrounding rooms were rented to other guests, not the other 10 rooms rented to our family or friends associated with our wedding plans. So, when we had family over we were visited by security twice (between 9 and 10 pm on a Saturday!). We had no music, no TV on. Everyone in our room was a registered hotel guest. Felt bad for the neighbors but we were quiet. Frankly the 3 am loading dock and other street noises were significantly louder! If you are planning to gather, insist they block off the area or just go elsewhere.
Also, still waiting to hear from manager about our dissatisfaction.
On other note - Cheryl at the front desk is great. She gets customer service 100%.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review. Your feedback is crucial in helping us continuously improve our hotel and guest service.

I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Your satisfaction is always our top priority. We strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms to all our guests as well as ensure all your needs are met while visiting. Thank you again for the feedback as well as your feedback on our guest survey.
Trumansburg, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We spent one night at the Hyatt Regency, and I must say that this was probably one of the best hotels I had stayed in. The hotel itself was clean and updated. The staff were friendly and helpful, and our room was clean and comfortable. I opted for the "respire" room, and I was not disappointed. Our room was also on the top floor with a wonderful view of the city, which at night was really nice. I made this reservation because I was attending the Disney on Ice show at the Blue Cross Arena, and this hotel had good reviews and was within walking distance. It was a great choice. It also had an indoor pool, which I knew my grandaughter would love. We arrived in the middle of a snowstorm, and I was thrilled to be able to pull in to a covered parking area to check in and then park in a covered garage which was very convenient to bringing in our luggage and heading to our room. In perusing the hotel website in advance, I found if you like them on Facebook they have a word of the week which entitles you to specials. So, luckily I did that and received free parking and free internet!! Because of the snowstorm, we arrived late, and had to grab a quick bite at the hotel restaurant before heading to the show. When I told the waitress of our time constraint, she easily told us which items would be quick to order, and we were in and out in less than an hour and on our way to the show. We had the AAA Breakfast Special the next morning and were again treated warmly and had a wonderful breakfast before we headed home. I was very impressed with our entire stay and plan to stay again the next time I want to attend an event and stay overnight.

Room Tip: The respire room is the way to go; check the details out on the hotel website. Extra clean and comf...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
We really appreciate your comments about our Downtown Rochester Hyatt. We appreciate that you got to use many areas of the hotel and received the service we are proud to provide to all our guests. We hope you enjoyed Disney on Ice and hope when you come back you will stay with us. See you next time.
Randolph, Ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Very nice hotel close to the interstate about 10 minutes in travel from the highway. Pay parking was the only downside. Very nice rooms I had a king bedded room with a stand up shower and I found it to be very nice with a nice quite room at night. Good Mattress and pillows.

Tom O'Connor

Room Tip: Weekend packages look for deals
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank tinyoconnor
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your comments and we are glad our rooms here at the Hyatt Regency Rochester were to your liking. We hope to see you on your next trip to Downtown Rochester. Take care.
Penn Yan, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed two nights in downtown Rochester, NY, at the Hyatt Regency. It was great to have the free shuttle to and from the airport so we didnt have to rent a car. The room was spacious and well appointed with a view of the river (room #1817). The furniture was showing a little age & wear. TV remote was in need of replacement.
We did not encounter even one staff member that was not extremely friendly. However, the waitress at breakfast the second morning was either forgetful or didnt care. We asked for a glass of water which I finally went to the bar to get myself because we didnt have forever to wait. She never came back to refill juice or coffee or to ask if everything was ok. Her tip reflected the service she gave! If you want coffee, I suggest you get a "to go" cup in the lobby as it was $2. If you order it with your breakfast, you will pay $4! I can get a larger and much better tasting cup of coffee at Starbucks for less than that!!!!
We ate at the bar late on our first night, breakfast two mornings. The food was good. Snacks in the gift shop are also outrageously priced.
You will pay for internet and parking unless you get on the hotel's facebook page for the week where you can get the "word of the week". Tell that to the clerk at check-in and it will be free!! Personally, I feel it's just another way for the hotel to take advantage of you.
The interior of the hotel lobby, bar, restaurant area is very nicely decorated but don't let it confuse you, it is not a 5 star hotel by any means but it is a comfortable place to stay in a good location.

Room Tip: a view of the river is nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear your stay was less than exceptional. We do offer various packages which include internet, parking and room which you can find on hyatt.com. We appreciate your taking the time to review our hotel and we hope you can stay with us again so we can improve on our service from your last visit.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice in the past two months while my son and I were visiting Eastman School of Music. Don't be swayed by the negative reviews. This hotel is fine and a good bargain. The hotel provides a shuttle from the airport. The shuttle driver actually apologized for our wait even though he was 5 minutes early. The desk staff is friendly, offering dinner recommendations that were good. There was little or no wait at check in or check out. Our room was clean and comfortable - this isn't the Four Seasons but you're not paying for the Four Seasons. Beds were very comfortable although the pillows were too thick for my preference. Work out room is great (and clean) with a wide variety of machines and I never found it to be crowded. Front desk answers the phone quickly if you call from your room. After our first stay, we requested the same room for our second stay and were given that same room. When the self serve boarding pass computer did not work, the hotel staff was eager to allow me to use his front desk computer to check in for my flight and print my boarding passes. Restaurant is good and restaurant staff is very friendly. The only drawback is the neighborhood - there's not much to do in downtown Rochester but that's not the hotel's fault. Bottom line - we have enjoyed this hotel and if my son attends Eastman will stay there when we visit him.

1 Thank Jane1961_6
Thank you very much for your kind words and we are rooting for your son to get into Eastman! We are glad our bell staff and our front desk could assist you during your 2 visits. We wish you all the best and see you next time.
Springfield, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've stayed at many Hyatts, but this one made me wonder if the wrong name was on the building. Our four-day association meeting used the convention center and the hotel. Upon check-in I noticed that the front desk agent had difficulty with eye contact. Then the elevator door stuck. My key did not work in the door lock. Back down to the front desk for a 'new' key. That one didn't work either. Room changed! That door lock worked, but the climate control did not. The fan noise was incredible and only worked on one speed. Room changed again! (Why doesn't housekeeping find and report this nonsense. They're in the rooms every day!). The TV remote didn't work. No ice bucket. Tub wouldn't drain. That was it. I checked out the next morning and moved to the overflow hotel.

I usually don't post reviews, but the one thing I noticed about this property on here is the glaring lack of consistency among reviews. I'm sure some of the posts are cyberposters hired to post favorable reviews, because I didn't experience anything like theirs. There's enough history here for hotel management to realize that they have a serious problem with certain staff or certain shifts. They're doing too much apologizing on here and not enough fixing!

Room Tip: Best view is above the 14th floor. Try to get a Genesee River view. Do not unpack until you've...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank SVOwner
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete your guest review and give us a thorough review of your stay with us. Your feedback is crucial in helping us continuously improve our hotel and guest service.