“Mixed feelings”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Fredonia, New York
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've got to say, I have mixed feelings on this hotel and while I might stay here again; I'd come prepared.
We (my son's family had 3 small children) stayed for 3 nights and had adjoining rooms on the 8th floor; we were there for a pageant so our room was part of that package. Now, let me say, service was pleasant and excellent. We did have to change our keys 4 times but they apologized and they really couldn't seem to help it (?). They could have used more elevators because there were people constantly going back to their rooms and it seemed we always had to wait for more than one elevator plus they seemed slow. I imagine, being a pageant and so much going on contributed to that problem. Of course, I also noticed most people won't move back and give the impression of the elevator being full when it isn't. But, that's a different story.
It is definitely not a 4 star hotel. Our rooms desparately needed updating. The carpet was badly stained and the furniture was showing it's age. We did have a large flat screen tv. The bathroom was very nice with lots of counter space. We also had a desk with 2 comfortable chairs.
I guess being a Hyatt, I expected more. Internet was $10 a day. They had an indoor pool but no outdoor space. It felt so confining since we needed to stay nearby and our only option seemed to be the pool which wasn't a place you'd go to hang out as it was almost all pool and hardly any chairs and the heat and chlorine were too much. Or the lobby areas which were always extremely busy due to the pageant. Luckily the weather was nice but, after all, it was downtown.
Which brings me to the issue most bothering me. The only convenient restaurant was the hotel's which was not always open and was very expensive. The area, which you probably couldn't walk in bad weather, had a small Tim Horton's, Subway, BBQ restaurant and one other which I think only served breakfast & lunch. When I asked the desk about a restaurant, she gave me one, that we did go to, and said it was a little walk. That little walk was over 1 1/2 miles and we had 3 small children. Thankfully, we drove. We tried the BBQ which was very good. We also ordered pizza one night which took 2 hours and arrived cold.
The room only has a one cup coffee pot. If you need a microwave, as we did to warm milk, you have to go to the 21st floor (and use the room key which didn't always work). Thankfully, we brought a cooler and across the street was a Family Dollar which was doing great business from people like ourselves. PB&J and junk food.
The hotel is not really family friendly tho the pageant was a family event. There is a Radisson across the street but we didn't check it out. If we return for another pageant, either we will bring food from home and a larger cooler or look for another hotel.
If you're a business traveler, I'm sure you will like this hotel. Unless, there is a pageant, then I think you will hate it.

Room Tip: don't get a room with adjoining doors unless you need it. sound carries even with both doors cl...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Allen M, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
We would like to thank you for your recent stay and thorough review. You mentioned some concerns in regards to the condition of your room, the slow elevators, as well as your experience with our restaurant. The options of room service is always available from throughout the hours that the restaurant is close to avoid the situation which you had experienced. I am glad to hear that you found our staff to be helpful. We would love the opportunity to provide you with the outstanding service that we are known for and that you deserve. Please reach out to us with these comments the next time you stay, so we can accommodate you better while on property. Take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Korean first
san jose,ca
Reviewed August 23, 2012

After reading all the reviews here, I had specifically asked my husband NOT to bid for a 4 star through priceline, just in case we get this hotel, but he did, and we got this! With great trepidation, we drove from Niagara Falls and reached this hotel at 11 in the night. First positive experience, we had a very polite valet service contact us, we said no. My husband checked in (I asked if the front desk was good, and he said they were brisk but polite). Then we lugged our suitcase up a flight of stairs (there was a bellhop on the ground floor, which required an small elevator and a hotel personnel to activate it, we just didnt want to wait), and it wasnt too bad. The elevators were fast (there were 3 of them, and not much of a wait time), and when we found out room (1915) on the 19th floor, it was, of course, the closest one to the elevators and the ice machine. The automatic keys worked (thank God!), and we entered a clean room. Of course, after reading the earlier reviews, I checked the double beds (clean), under the desk (again, clean), the bathroom (nice and updated), so I was sighing with relief! And the view from the room was beautiful, large windows and we could see all over Rochester! Slept well (the mattresses were good), and in the morning, we ordered milk (since we already had cereal bowls), room service was excellent and fast. Going down, we informed the front desk that we would like the maid to clean the room, and when we came back in the night, the room was completely made, with fresh towels (plenty of them), new toiletries (they were nice too) in the bathroom, and the room felt fresh. Slept well again that night and the next day, we checked out, front desk informed us that everything was taken care of and we didnt need to pay for anything except for parking, when we informed them that we had ordered milk from room service, they said that room service didnt charge us, so we were free to go! Parking is a little away from the front desk, very easy to find, and the bellhop goes almost to the car, so everything was easy. The hotel personnel were very polite and overall, we had a fantastic experience. I'm guessing that the people who encountered any negatives might have gotten the lower floors (?), but the upper floors seem to be updated, and even though we were near the elevators and ice machine, never heard any noise to wake us up (and believe me, I'm a VERY light sleeper). We wouldnt mind coming back again, as long as we get an upper level room!

Room Tip: Get the upper floors, seem to be more updated. Get the parking card signed by the front desk everyti...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Wonderful to see that our hotel location suited your visit to downtown Rochester so well. Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Rochester during your time away. We're so please to read that you found our hotel so clean, valet services, and staff excellent. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Arma
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I just got home from a terrific stay in Rochester. I booked our room on Orbitz with a package and we were given a really nice room on the 21st floor. The king bed was so comfortable and I don't understand the problem with 3 pillows on the bed. I only use one anyway. Every day the housekeeping did a beautiful job of straightening up our room and it looked like we just walked in with clean folded towels,etc. There was never anything out of place. The staff was extremely helpful from checkin to validating parking to asking about our plans. They couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. We slept like babies and had a wonderful view of the river. One night we got the unexpected treat of viewing fireworks from our window!
I'm not sure what kind of acrobatics would have made our bed come apart, but we never had any problem at all with the sheets. When I read reviews, I put alot of trust in them. But now I'm thinking that some people are very intolerant and cranky. I can't imagine that our experience was that much better than everyone elses. I would go back here in a heartbeat. I felt safe and loved having the parking garage even if it did cost 4 bucks a day to come and go as many times as we wanted.
There was so much to see within a day trip, I'm telling all my friends to give New York a try! My perception of New York is totally changed for the better.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the river on a high floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelmya
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Wonderful to read that you loved our guestrooms and found our location near downtown Rochester attractions to be so perfect. Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Rochester and for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We are look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for another memorable vacation.
Sloan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked this hotel on priceline. It was our 3rd stay here, and while we knew it was not really a 4 star quality, we had not had any complaints on our previous stays. This stay was the worst experience I have ever had at a hotel!!! We were put in a room right next to the ice machine, so we knew it wasn't going to be super quiet, and our room was an adjoining room with next door, so there was the possibility of being disturbed by the neighbors, but we were foolish enough to take our chances and not ask for a different room. Huge mistake!!! Starting around 10 pm the door next door started slamming shut every couple minutes. We told ourselves that the people would eventually go to sleep, but once again, Huge mistake!! We were awakened multiple times throughout the night by the door slamming and people shouting and running from room to room. Finally, around 3am, we called downstairs and asked for them to do something. Security came up and banged on their door and told them to keep it down. When we opened our door, they explained to us that it was a wedding, like we were supposed to say oh well thats okay then. The noise continued throughout the night, and into the morning. A rough estimate of the number of times the door slammed hard enough to shake our room is over 200 times. When we checked out in the morning, we had to ask to speak to a manager regarding our concerns, because the desk clerk could only say sorry, must have sucked for you. The manager explained to us that all 3rd party bookings are sent to the 10th floor, and that is where they also booked an entire wedding party, so they would easily be able to go from room to room. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel !!! If they would like to allow a large group of people to run around and act like animals all night long, could they please designate the floor as such, and not subject the rest of the guests to this obnoxiousness? We requested that they give us a nights stay as compensation for our sleepless night, but all we got was an apology... Aside from this complaint, the hotel charges for internet, charges to park, charges for coffee in the morning, gives 3 pillows to a king size bed, 3 towels to a room, there are no fitted sheets, and all the bedding falls off, room too hot... I don't want some old scummy faded decorative pillows on my bed, thanks anyway.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 10th floor!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us earlier this month. Please accept our sincere apologies for the downfalls you mentioned in your review. I am sharing your review with our team in efforts to improve our service. Thank you for your suggestions and please contact me if you would like to discuss your concerns further or if you are traveling to our area as I would like to assist in anyway I can to ensure your future stay is enjoyable. Take care,
Denver, CO
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Hyatt-Rochester last weekend. We had a flight booked from the Rochester airport the next afternoon and were looking forward to a comfortable stay.

The Good:

-Check in was terrific. The employee (Megan) was very pleasant and went out of her way to help us. Also, the staff was knowledegable about the local area and helped to find specific information about start times, cost, etc.

-The breakfast buffet was great. Simple selection but great food, service and presentation.

-Valet parking was a breeze.

The Bad:

-Our room, supposedly an upgrade b/c I'm Platinum, was a disaster. Several things broken:

-Window Shades didn't scroll up all the way. I wanted to see the city, river and could not.
-Carpet was all wet by the front door.
-Bathroom doorstop broken and just laying loose in the middle of the floor

Service:

-In the evening, we asked for extra pillows to be delivered. 45 minutes later, no pillows and no call to apologize. We wanted to go to bed and cancelled the request. As a result, our sleep wasn't as good.

-The next morning I shared feedback about our stay with the manager and was told this was atypical as a staff member normally does a 'multi-point' (sorry, maybe 5 or 7 points?) check before a guest checks into the room. I find this hard to believe given how many things were wrong.

-While I wasn't asking for compensation, the manager offered to put some Hyatt Points into my account and we would be 'taken care of at checkout'. Nothing happened at checkout and no additional points have been added to my account. My feeling is the manager minimized my feedback and couldn't even follow up with her staff to make sure a dissatisfied guest felt appreciated. Very poor follow up and execution on so many levels.

Maybe a bad day for this Hyatt property? Trying to be optimistic here but so many mistakes and very poor follow up...

Room Tip: High floor, facing the river.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your recent stay. I certainly understand how frustrating it is to have these concerns while traveling. So sorry about that and the other issues you raised. We would be thrilled if you reconsider and try us again for another occasion so that we can provide you with the exceptional service I know we are capable of, and that which you deserve. If your traveling to Rochester again, please reach out to me so I can assist in ensuring your stay is much...much better.
Sand Lake, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I expected so much more at this five night stay. The clerks at Reservation were very dull and couldn't answer simple questions. Our room was not comfortable at all for the three of us. The beds were not made correctly and after five minutes in the bed, everything came apart concerning the sheets...simple resolution- use a fitted sheet for the bottom. The air was nice but difficult to control- no " middle" selection." Housekeeping left several glasses in the hall on the floor where children were walking. Our bathroom situation was bad= very little towels wee given and we had to supplement our supply ourselves with "Pool" towels. On a positive note- our waitress and waiter ( Char and Garland) in the Breakfast Buffet area were spectacular. They were warm, friendly and very efficient. Each morning, they would greet us by name and ask about our visit ( wedding.) We enjoyed them so much. On our last night the hotel made an error in disabling our room keys- we discovered this at midnight upon tiredly arriving from our son's wedding. Stephen on the desk was very confrontational and lied to us telling that ALL of our keys disabled all by themselves. The parking was very secure and seemed safe at $ 4.00/day. Our room was not cleaned each day until late in the day- a hit and miss operation. If you go out for a burger- drive far out of this area. The local Wendys had a security guard with a 44 on his hip. Gangs are obvious..it is what it is...a true inner city...right outside your window... On a happier note- the $16.00 breakfast buffet was fantastic each day..something for everyone.

Room Tip: Book AAA rate...otherwise if you don't get a good deal- the room is crappy.
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I was in town for a brief business trip & arrived late Sunday evening from the West Coast. Check-in was very prompt & easy and the receptionist was very courteous. 1 star for service. I had a corner room on the 19th floor & although it was quite spacious & clean (2 stars), the room could have used an update. The carpet had some stains & the shower/bathroom was quite dark. The vanity was across the way from the bathroom which I found to be nice because it was quite a large counter. The bed was very comfortable (3 stars) - I usually stay at Starwood properties for their heavenly beds & this was comparable. I had a dinner & breakfast at the hotel restaurant "Scene on Main"; just the usual - nothing spectacular, but good variety for dinner & they will make anything you want (4 stars) - I put together a salad & grilled chicken because it was so late. Breakfast was a buffet - there was not an option for a la carte, although my server offered to have an omelette made for me.

Overall, this was a very good hotel for a quick, business trip. There really were no other alternatives in Rochester.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Kurt H, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Rochester, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Please allow me to extend our sincere thanks for your recent stay, and heartfelt apologies for the various issues you described. Your review has been shared with the management team so that we can incorporate these topics as we always look to improve our arrival process. We really appreciate your comments and hope to see you again. All the best