“Great Service and a Good Night's Sleep”

Hyatt Regency Rochester
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Service and a Good Night's Sleep”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Upon our late evening arrival we were greeted by a cheery, personable, and eager to please check in personal and were given a king room on the 21st floor overlooking the river. The room had a wonderful view, was clean, and comfortable. I was a little disappointed that they charged for WiFi and felt the decorating could use a little sprucing up (a small area of chipped paint in the bedroom and the bottom of the bathroom door showed signs of water damage).
We appreciated the indoor free parking, but the garage elevators were extremely slow. All and all we had a restful, pleasant night.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor with a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Southwest Connecticut
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel recently for a business trip.

The hotel offers a free shuttle ride from the airport and it was quick and easy. I waited maybe 10 minutes at the airport.

Check-in was quick also and the front desk staff was extremely polite and friendly.

My room was on the 17th floor. I always request a higher floor room, especially in a downtown city hotel like this one, to minimize the noise coming from the street level.

My room was relatively clean and neat. The bed was very comfortable. There was a high definition big screen TV with many HD channels available. The AC/Heating unit worked well and was fairly quiet. The bathroom was spacious and clean.

The furnishings were a little "run down" looking. The furniture was dated. There were some stains on the carpet even.

The overall look of the hotel is somewhat run down and dated.

The location is not bad, especially if you are attending a meeting at the Convention Center. Plus, Dinosaur BBQ, a great place to eat, is about a 10 minute easy walk. Well worth checking it out if you go there.

I did not eat at the hotel restaurant and did not use the exercise room, so I cannot comment on those features.

If I have another business meeting in Rochester, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. Yes, it was very close to my meeting location, but it also wasn't a bad place to stay at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Potomac, MD
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We stayed at the Hyatt Regency Rochester when touring Eastman Conservatory. Good location as it is a 5 minute walk, but the in-and-out valet was easy to use as well. Hotel was beautiful and clean. (We initially went into our room, but found the person before had smoked in it although it was non-smoking, and it was noticable. We called to the front desk and they immediately brought up a key to a new room and took care of it right away.) Breakfast buffet was very good as well, although a bit on the expensive side, but you get that for the convenience of the hotel breakfast. Only comment is that when you enter the hotel, you pretty much have to get your luggage up a set of stairs. There is a elevator of sorts, but one that you had to wait for someone to operate for you and I didn't want to wait. Small inconvenience to wait for assistance. Just wish that part was designed better. Otherwise, a flawless stay.

Room Tip: Riverside on a high floor is nice.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My family shared Easter at the Hyatt Regency in Rochester NY yesterday. We thoroughly enjoyed the brunch, the staff, the venue... The food was delicious and plentiful. There were so many choices, I couldn't even try everything. The staff was so friendly, right down to the valet and the gift shop attendant. I was very impressed. Sometimes, it seems "city people" aren't the most friendly - not so at the Hyatt in Rochester. We will definitely visit the Hyatt again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 8, 2012

The best part about the Rochester Regency Hyatt is the staff. They are very friendly and will go out of their way to make guests feel at home -- particularly frequent guests.

The front desk staff make an effort to remember everyone and accommodate any expressed preferences (including a particular floor or even favorite room if it's available). Notable staff members include Cheryl, Lindsey, Maura, and Steuart. The shuttle drivers are also worth mentioning as they are unfailingly polite and cheerful; Mike is truly outstanding and will do anything he can to help guests.

The other group that deserves kudos is the bar staff at the restaurant, known as the Scene on Main. They are always friendly and fun, which is a valuable asset when traveling alone on business. Christine makes everyone feel at home and will make almost any drink imaginable; Kelly, Jen, and Ilhan are also skilled mixologists. The bar itself was recently renovated and features an impressively large projection TV.

The rooms are comfortable and clean, and also feature large LCD televisions. Unfortunately, these are hooked up to standard definition service so the TV experience is lacking (lack of HD seems to be a problem in hotels all over the US). All rooms do have WiFi, however.

The fitness center is relatively small but nicely appointed. The pool is nice too, and has a hot tub, but it's not long enough or deep enough to use for a workout.

The Hyatt has an excellent location in the center of downtown. It's walking distance to Frontier Field, Blue Cross Arena, and many of the restaurants. There's also a cab stand right in front of the entrance.

This is the best hotel in Rochester.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I travelled to Rochester for a conference, so I paid the conference price for the room, which was $125 and it included internet, so I didn't have to pay the extra $9.99 a day. Clean, comfortable room, with coffee, toiletries and towels changing every day. I asked for a river view and I was given a beautiful room on the 14th floor. Every member of staff I talked to was eager to make me feel comfortable and happy. Great service! The only problem is if you arrive after 11 pm there is no shuttle service from the airport. The bed was really comfortable, I don't sleep well though when the room is only air-conditioned and not naturally aired, but I can understand that the windows have to be sealed for safety reasons. The pool was really relaxing with beautiful view. I went there very early, so I had it all on my own. Nice cafe, BBQ and pizza places nearby, all in 5-8 min walk distance. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Lanham, Maryland
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were traveling for a conference, so this was the official hotel for the event, and the rate was decent. We stayed in a double bed room. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were fairly large. I appreciated the comfortable business chair and desk. The bathrooms are nice and roomier than most. Unfortunately, the walls are thin, and we had to move to another room due to our neighbors having sloppy fun next door. It was St. Patty's Day afterall, and they were loud (expected), but also smoking (not permitted on this floor). We both have breathing problems, so we were moved to a nicer room on a different floor. Thanks to Stuart for his help with this process. Shout-out to Emily who helped me with some special needs. Dinosaur BBQ is very close to this hotel. We gladly visited it twice, and give our BBQ seal-of-approval (we are southerners). Also a shout-out to Steven for excellent shuttle service from the ROC airport. If you need shuttle transport to and from the ROC, make sure you sign up (ahead of time) at the front desk. The shuttle leaves at the top of the hour.

Room Tip: The 15th floor was great. If you are not the partying type, I would advise you avoid the 25th (AKA...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business