“Mediocre for business/interview trip”

Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for. Continental breakfast was average but included at no extra cost--service was very friendly though. The room was clean and neat, but little things were annoying like I booked a king-sized bed and got 2 full size beds... and the receptionist told me I was out of luck because no more kings were available. Only shampoo was available (no conditioner). But most annoyingly was the bent ironing board. Not ideal for preparing before a job interview. Again, you get what you pay for.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Hippo999,
Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry that some of the arrangements were not as expected. I wish I had the opportunity to research your room to fix any the items noted. I will be sure to share your review with my team of managers so they have an idea of the issues you mentioned and we can take decisive actions to prevent any reoccurrences.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Good: The location is great. The staff is excellent. That includes the people that work in the bar/comedy club. I was pleased to find regular size pillows in the room. The bed was very comfortable and the pillows made it that much better, since most Holiday Inns have those tiny square ones. The comedy club was fun, if you don't mind raunchy humor. Some walked out. We stayed :-)

The Bad: The bloody mary I had at the bar was the worst I have ever had. It tasted like someone put a straw in cocktail sauce and poured horseradish in it. It was so bad that I got sick. The only other complaint is they should have a covered area to smoke outside other than the one at the main entrance.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Marilynj6354,
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the services offered as well as the full size pillows. I do appreciate your comment regarding the drink served and will look into this to see what may have happened. Glad you also liked the comedy club. Please visit again and check out the lineup of future comedians.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We shall be writing corporate office once we settle back after our trip North. We came to our 50th class reunion early in the month. We brought our dogs which we were told needed to be on a wing far away from civilization due to any interruptions they may have on other visitors and we had to sign a waiver that they wouldn't disturb people or cause damage. We were also told there was an elevator and people who would be helping us move our dogs and luggage to this far away corridor. The front desk was rude, not just to us, but to others of our classmates checking in... some also told of an elevator so they could transport their luggage which as we found was non existent. The first night for us was quiet... we had the whole corridor due to "nasty dogs who could upset other customers". We accepted the near mile walk to our 50th reunion festivities, but, the next day we were deluged with obnoxious, undeciplined children with no parental supervision.... running down the halls, banging on walls and yelling, emptying the ice machine. But what we heard from the parents, who were happily ignoring their kids and drinking in their rooms was..... "someone needs to get rid of those f.........g dogs"! We called the desk and told them of all the disturbances and the ice all over the floor and reminded them of the waiver we signed and we had better not, under these circumstances hear from them and that no one had to sign a waiver for disruptive, obnoxious children; nothing was done about the noise or the ice all over the floor and it continued all through the following day. We had a hockey net set up in front of our door so we couldn't even enter our own room, nearly got hit with a hockey stick and got a couple of balls thrown in our faces; the "bridge" to our corridor was a constant challenge to get through with kids, balls, nets, blocking our way to our wonderful 50th reunion. Then, at the reunion, we sat trying to listen to the presentation by our high school president, and all we could hear through the thin walls to the bar was the filthy four letter expletives coming loudly from the "Comedy Hour'. The waitresses came and went, but no staff tried to quiet the next door room and much of our class presentation was missed due to the loud, disgusting next room. We are people in our late 60's/70, spending a lot of time making this trip and not causing anyone any disturbance, but what we received was a totally nerve wracking and extremely stressful experience at the Holiday Inn. On a positive note, our banquet dinner was exceptionally fine...... other than that, we shall never come back or refer anyone to this place and we shall be writing to the corporate office a formal complaint. We have traveled all over the country staying at a number of well-known and respected motels with our dogs. Nothing can come close to the disappointment of staying at the Holiday Inn/Airport in Rochester, NY.

Room Tip: Rooms are clean but this is a large motel and if you are older with physical problems like we have...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Linda K
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest ,
Thanks you for taking time to outline your recent stay concerns. Though I wasn't pleased myself with the items mentioned, I do appreciate the opportunity to use this feedback as an opportunity to work with my team to see how we can deal with some items mentioned for the future. I can assure you that every concern mentioned will be addressed with my executive team. I certainly do apologize if you felt the adult humor from our comedy club was offensive and we do make every effort to keep this entertainment maintained within the club. As to your concerns from other guests regarding the dogs, though I can't control another guests comments or actions, we did have security come to the area to see if they could intervene, so we were receptive to that concern and did reply quickly. Again, I do appreciate all the feedback shared.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

In Rochester on business and booked the Holiday Inn Airport. I'd booked a smoking room but on arrival they informed me that all the smoking rooms were undergoing 'deep cleaing.' This was good to hear but left me without the room I'd requested. The ladies at the front desk were quick to sort it out and moved me to a suite. Very accommodating and all with a smile. The room was very spacioius with living and dining area, desk and kitchenette and the bed was very comfortable. This property might seem a bit aged in some regards, but don't let this discourage you. The rooms and property were very clean and service was great! Add to it a full cooked to order breakfast for around $10 and you can't beat it. I'll definitely repeat if I am back in town.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
I'm very happy to hear that my team was able to accommodate your request by offering you the suite due to our cleaning. I appreciate your kind feedback and hope during your next visit we can have the chance to meet and I can thank you in person.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

The rooms were nice and the bed were really comfy. They had a restaurant and bar with a live bad and tv's. We stayed at the hotel for a wedding. It was such a nice hotel that we brought our family back a month later when we were traveling along the St Lawrence seaway. Very nice holiday

Room Tip: There is no elevator so if our are traveling with people who cannot navigate stairs make sure to req...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to share such a nice review. I am very pleased not only did you enjoy your first visit, but made it a point to return for another weekend. I do hope you took note of the Erie Canal directly behind the hotel as you mentioned your travels along the seaway trails. Hope you'll come back soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I walked in the door I saw trash laying on the floor. It appeared to be plastic cup wrappers. There was hair on the floor in the bathroom and in the bath tub. I was staying on the second floor at the end of the first building (past the pool) and all the hallways smelled strongly of smoke, as if people were standing in the hallways smoking. THERE IS NO ELEVATOR!

They have some sort of Comedy Club there downstairs. The clientele for the club are loud, drunk and smoke everywhere. Overall, this hotel is well below average even for a Holiday Inn. The furnishings are very dated, and none of the outlets in my room worked! The few that did had lamps (but not all of them) and the tv plugged in. But even those were precarious. There were no plugs that would support my cellphone or tablet charging cord, and as I said, not even all the lights could be plugged in.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Contrail_Queen

Dear Guest,
I was sorry to have read your review. A little surprised to the area you stated was smokey as the hotel has designated smoking areas, so I am sorry you may have experienced this inconvenience. Yes the hotel has a Comedy Club on weekends and the shows run a limited time each night and then returns to a hotel bar afterwards. Many of our guests take advantage of the special pricing for the comedy shows. I appreciate the feedback and will share with my team.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Had to book this hotel at last minute, unfortunately during a busy week in a college town. Was given a room in the smoking wing which stunk of stale smoke. Have they never heard of clean filters and Febreze?
By Sunday night one helpful desk clerk was able to move me to non-smoking room, so there's that.
The hotel restaurant basically serves nothing but beige food (no color, no vegetables). Never ate there so I have no comment about the quality. Considering the number of geriatrics in the place, I could only surmise that they cater to people whose taste buds have taken a permanent hiatus.
Some people have complained about the noise; its next to an Interstate and across from an airport, so those complaints are invalid - what did they expect?
It was obvious the the cleaning staff has an aversion to corners (especially in the bathrooms) and behind doors, or they were collecting hair samples for cloning.
There was some unspeakable filth on the remote control, but being a regular traveler, I was prepared for that. I suggest that everyone travel with emergency cleaning and sanitizing wipes.
Finally, the exercise room: one elliptical machine - broken, plenty of treadmills that went unused and two TVs, one of which did not work.
I won't be going back no matter how convincing they try to make their commercials.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
HIROC11, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Rochester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your review. I am sorry if there were any issues that you felt were below standards. I was a little confused by your comments regarding the restaurant especially if you stated you had not eaten there. We take great pride in the quality of our meals served, it is too bad you didn't try one. The other information you supplied I am looking into with my Executive Housekeeper to see how that can be corrected. Thank you again for taking time to submit this review.