“Great cuts”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
NY
“Great cuts”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We visited Max's for my birthday this year due to some friends having rave reviews of the place. So, we had some oysters, that come already dressed for you. In my opinion it was an overpowering mignonette that took away from the awesome flavor that oysters possess. We had some wonderful cuts of steak, but the downfall, again, was that the steaks all come drenched in a wine reduction. The side dishes are a la carte and were flavorful and sharable in portions. In all honesty, it was a well trimmed and perfectly prepared steak, but, for the price of the meal, it is a shame to mask the flavors of certain dishes, including the entrees.

• Visited May 2014

Rochester, New York
“Night out!!”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I'll start by saying that I believe Max to be an outstanding restaurant. We have been there 6 times, always for something a little different...Their rib eyes and steaks are very well done...Being a chef myself, sometimes enjoying a night out @ one of Rochester's best is something I look forward too...OK, this time it was just a bit less than outstanding...This is not really a knock but just an honest opinion....Awesome wedge salad (chilled as it should be), Duck rillettes were creamy and very, very flavorful (best taste of the night). If the tartare had just a pinch of grey salt, chopped egg or even a raw egg that I love nestled in it, w/ a twist of pepper, that would've taken it to outstanding...Great crab cakes...Also tasty w/o being masked w/ that potential crusty exterior...The Hangar steak was cooked to perfection but here was the major "head tilt" for the meal...There was some very strange underlying flavor to the jus or the rub that was very off putting...Could've have been the marinade...Certainly NOT the meat...Hard to put a finger on it....I think I have a pretty good palette and I love my sauces & au jus...This had a fresh (@ one point) seasoning taste that might of turned and the savor was very bold...Not in a good way. I also had a side of au poivre sauce and still couldn't shake it...Saddened by that... I have always enjoyed their mac-n-cheese and sadly this time I was disappointed...Very oily and a little gritty...Hey, maybe just a bad night (for those items anyway)...We'll be back for sure as they rotate the menu's...Service is always professional & unobtrusive...I write this basically for any staff should they read it... Not to scare anyone off from this gem believe me...Well while I'm at it, maybe it's time though for a little décor sprucing up..This place deserves that!!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank KPKW
Ontario, New York
“Supreme Kansas City Dry Aged Rib Eye”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We were looking for special place to celebrate my grandson,Taylor's birthday on a snowy cold 5 degree night in Rochester.. A warm place to have a great steaks in a friendly atmosphere. We chose Max chop house on Monroe Ave. Max specializes in all cuts of prime steak at this location. Our guest were delighted with the warm reception and expertise of our host. Our server had expert knowledge of each meat cut, selection and flavor. After she answered all the question our party had, my son and I ordered the Kansas City dry aged 18 oz selection "medium and medium rare. The party chose a variety of sides which were served at our table piping hot and family style. The wine selection was excellent..A variety of seafood entrees where also available. Side selections are priced a la carte. We had a wonderful celebration thanks to the staff at Max's.

• Visited January 2014
Milan, Italy
“Too dark!”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

In this restaurant you can barely see what you're eating. Not to mentio how difficult it is reading the menu... A very kind waitress lists you all the options of the day, but so quickly that is difficult to understand... if you are a stranger (I'm Italian).
Anyway, the steak was good, potatoes too. A bit overpriced and formal, but generally good.

• Visited October 2013
Rochester, New York, United States
“The surf and turf was fabulous”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The lobster was the best I've had in a restaurant. The steak was very tender and probably the best I've had in Rochester. The only downside is that it is pricey but if you're looking to get a good meal to treat yourself or someone else it is definitely worth it.

• Visited August 2013