“A Classic!”

Tournedos Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Tournedos Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 1,330 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I love to eat. We like to try new places, but there's something to be said for the classics too. This place is a classic as far as beef is concerned. Sincerely, this was one of the best beef tenderloin filets I have ever eaten in my entire life!

The ambiance of the place is small, upscale and intimate. The service is very good. This is a very expensive restaurant and everything is a la carte so be prepared.

The surprising thing to me about this restaurant was the food presentations (or lack thereof). When my beef filet came it was sitting on a plain white plate - no garnish, no swirl of sauce - nothing. The presentation left a lot to be desired and I was a little afraid I wouldn't like it. It was actually rather unappealing on its stark white plate. As I said above, the taste was beyond compare. I know things are a la carte, but there should have been something for the eye as well as the stomach.

The other thing that threw me was my husband and I wanted to split a dessert. Usually when we've asked for this in a top-drawer place like this, we get the dessert on two plates already separated for us. This time we were presented with two forks and one plate. We were still able to eat it okay, but it just seemed a less-than-stellar way to present the food.

I definitely would recommend the tenderloin. My husband had chicken and wasn't too impressed. The wait staff was wonderful and attentive.

Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Recwnt visit for business group dinner.
Excellent service, our server was attentive, interested, alert and sympathetic w some specific dietary
Questions n issues. Food was very well prepared. Very generous portions. A hidden jewel in Rochester, had never been here before.

1  Thank BlueMaxx14
Reviewed July 5, 2012

My wife and I have been frequenting Tournedos for years and have always found the food and serving staff do everything to make our dining experience the best anywhere. We always feel welcome and cared for whenever dine there. I have however noticed that the valet service seems to have slipped in the last few months. The valets seem to be more interested in using the cell phones then parking cars. It maybe nit picking but its something I noticed. All in all, my wife and I will still keep coming, as the restaurant experience is the best.

1  Thank Richard L
Reviewed June 13, 2012

The restaurant is housed in an old private club in downtown Rochester near the Eastman Theater. Once inside, the setting is elegant but not ostentatious. The food is the best in the city, in my humble opinion. Service is prompt and efficient but not cloying. Our party of six had fish or beef entrees and all were excellent. The selection of wines is extensive and they even had a terrific grappa for after dinner. It's not inexpensive, but you will feel the expense is worth it. Highly recommended.

1  Thank jpsphr
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Do not waste your time eating steak anywhere else in Rochester. My wife is from Buenos Aires and we have searched high and low for a steak comparable to what one might find in Argentina. Tournedos is the only place in Upstate New York that comes close. In addition, the service is outstanding. Tournedos employs professional waitstaff who know their job, their product and provide a first class dining experience every time. Of course, every thing on the menu is excellent, but you really should be there for a steak. And yes, it's more expensive than Applebee's but worth every penny. And yes, you will actually have to venture to downtown and away from Wegman's and Pittsford Plaza - but you owe it to yourself at least once in your life to enjoy a good meal.

1  Thank Patrick B