“Best BBQ in Rochester”

Sticky Lips Pit BBQ
Ranked #9 of 1,271 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Central NYS
“Best BBQ in Rochester”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Real Memphis style BBQ. The Culver Road restaurant is the original Sticky Lips. The food at the other one on Jefferson Road is not as good. Lots of interesting wall decor to look at during the brief wait for your meal. The wait staff is friendly, the food choices are many and you'll be back for more!

Visited August 2012

Rochester, New York
“Possibly a Tale of Two Sticky Lips? Hopefully...not good.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

So, in all fairness, we ate out this time. I've been to Sticky Lips in Henrietta and had a fine experience but never at Culver Rd. We decided to go there on a Saturday night only to find the place packed and a 45-minute wait. Not a problem: we lived fairly close by so we decided to order out. Ordered 5 meals, 45 minutes for the meals.

Ordered the food at 7 for pickup at 7:45. Got there at 7:40, not ready, which I expected. 7:45 rolls by. 8:00, no food. 8:10, no food, 8:15, no food. Meanwhile, order are arriving to the front counter and just sitting there for 5 minutes at a time, as the only person at the counter stocks beer (btw, another beef of mine...Henrietta has a terrific beer menu; Culver's is marginal at best) in an already full cooler. The extra five minutes that the beer is in that cooler won't matter at all compared to the five minutes the customer is watching their food sit and get colder.

8:20. I finally ask about my order. They start checking slips, going through. Finally get my food at 8:25, almost double the amount of time they said, and me waiting for 45 minutes.

Onto the food. When we got home, the portion sizes for all the food was decent, nothing excessive but not skimpy. I had the Lana Turner, with chicken breast and pulled pork. The chicken breast was decent, tendering cooked and smokey. But then again, chicken is pretty hard to screw up and it wasn't anything better than any other BBQ chicken I had. The pulled pork, however, was disappointing. It's just literally pulled pork with little to no extra seasoning or sauce. But the cardinal sin is that there was an abundance of overcooked pieces in the mix. Dry, tacky pieces that you could pick out like little toothpicks in the mix. Terrible.

Their ribs fared no better My son got a 1/2 rack of their pork ribs (because beef ribs are not real ribs). When I go to get BBQ, I want that sweet spot where the ribs stay together but you can tear them off the bone. This rack came out solid, pink, and undercooked. You had to cut the ribs apart with a knife just to separate them (and even that was a task). He gave his best effort trying to pull the meat off the bone but at some point, he just found the experience tasking and no fun.

I will tell you from experience, I've had better food at the Henrietta location (although it feels more like a chain restaurant experience) . But I've also had much, MUCH better BBQ at Good Smoke BBQ in East Rochester (really terrific stuff), Texas BBQ in Spencerport (some of their stuff is just OK but their main BBQ is well done), and of course Dinosaur BBQ. If good food, timely service, and a decent beer is what you nominally require in a restaurant, skip the Sticky Lips on Culver.

Newark, New York
“Great selections - but average at best”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The first thing we noticed at Sticky Lips is the huge menu - they offer countless items, with many combo plates, which gives you a chance to try several different dishes in one sitting. We arrived early on a Saturday and got in just before the big crowds. The service was excellent, and the food reasonably priced. The food - some great, some not so great. We ordered everyting "dry' so we could sample their sauces as we liked - a plus. Brisket: tender and very good. Pulled pork: excellent. Ribs: could have used another hour or two on the smoker - taste was very good, but very hard to get off the bone, not as tender as good ribs should be. Chicken: very good. We tried all of their sauces, prefereing the Carolina mustard the best. The house regular sauce was overdone with a couple of spices that covered up the taste of the meat. They have a multitude of sides to choose from, so we tried a variety. The coleslaw is excellent - as good as any I've had anywhere. Sweet potato fries had a touch of cinnamon, which my wife loved, but preferred to have as a dessert. Mac & cheese was OK but a little loose (we're a little jaded here - my wife makes the best home-made mac & cheese in the universe). i'm a bean lover, and tried the black beans and rice. They were almost like an e'toufee with lots of veggies, not enough beans and very little rice - tasty but a little over-spiced. Cornbread comes with every meal, but was a little overly sweet - again more suitable as a dessert. A really good value price-wise: we ordered the smaller combos and were completely stuffed before finishing - I can't imagine getting the full plates at the higher prices. We might still be sitting there trying to finish. All in all a good experience, and we will give it a try again - but they've got some work to do on those ribs.

Rochester, New York
“Good food, reasonably priced, big menu”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I love barbecue so I'm not that hard to please. I appreciate that it's reasonably priced, the service was very good, and you can mix and match sides.

Visited September 2012
Spencerport, New York
“Bad experience...not worth it.”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I do not plan to ever eat here again. We arrive a little before 5 pm and waited 20 minutes to be seated. Once we were seated, our drinks, appetizer, and salads arrived in a timely way. After our salad plates were cleared, we waited over 30 minutes for our entrees to arrive. Every table around us received their entrees before we did. After they had all been served, our server blamed the kitchen for the delay and told us that our food would be out soon. Once our food did arrive, it was doused in bbq sauce. In my previous experiences at Sticky Lips, if bbq sauce is served on the entree it is a light amount and you choose which sauce goes onto it. Once our entrees were served, the server repeatedly attempted to rush us out. She picked up my husband's plate immediately after he finished his food. She attempted to clear my plate and bring me a box for my dinner 2 times while I was still eating. My husband ordered the blueberry cheesecake for dessert. Although the picture on the dessert menu showed the slice with real blueberries baked into the cheese cake, the slice had a blueberry sauce baked into the top of the cheesecake. We waited forever for the server to bring our check. Once she did, we paid cash immediately without even looking at it. My husband paid with a $100 bill. We received large bills for all of our change. Since our service experience did not warrant a 20% tip, our server only received a $3.75 tip because that was the only change that we had besides tens and twenties. Overall, an expensive and unsatisfying experience. I would no longer recommend this restaurant to anyone.