“Round 2 not as good as the 1st time around”

Black & Blue Steak & Crab
Ranked #10 of 1,306 Restaurants in Rochester
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I loved this restaurant so much the first time I visited that made a reservation for 15 and brought the entire sales team for our annual meeting (they all flew in from all over the U.S.). I got the scallops with risotto and it was really good.

The Good:
1. The restaurant atmosphere; nice ambience
2. Great location; easy to find.

The Bad:
1. I tried to order 4 different bottles of wine and they were sold out of every one I wanted to buy. Each bottle was priced over $100.00 per bottle, it was disappointing to keep ordering wine and they didn't have it in stock. *Don't offer to sell wine if you don't have it. Stock up or remove it from the wine list!
2. The spinach salad & the spinach on the salmon was way over salted. I think they may have tried to preserve the spinach in a salt water and didn't rinse it well enough. Not sure what exactly was going on but the spinach was horrible overly salted and I was not the only one at the table who had the same experience with the spinach.
3. The server was not very attentive nor was he very friendly. Blah...

My first group experience was much better than my 2nd group experience. If I'm going to pay $800.00 for a dinner, I want a good wine, nothing too salty and a server that wants to be there and knows what they're doing.

Overall this is still a good restaurant but the negatives out weighed the positives this time around. Right now the score is 1-1..

1  Thank kcgirl70

Reviewed September 11, 2013

be sure to request the room in the back of the restaurant! The front is just too noisy!! Otherwise, you will not be able to communicate with your guests!!
Dinner and wine were a delight! steak cooked to perfection, service fine too!We enjoyed the evening!!!

1  Thank michelle k
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Black & Blue was recommended by a woman who was working the front desk at my hotel. She said it was the best in town. Rochester is the new food capital if she was wrong. I was in town for a deposition, and the PGA was also in town that week. Black & Blue was packed, but I was seated immediately , even though I was dining alone.

The wine list wasn't bad, especially considering Rochester is a small town (actually a series of villages). However, there were a limited number of wines available by the glass. I ordered crab soup as an appetizer. Can you spell g-r-e-a-t? There was no skimping on the crab meat.

I ordered the lamb chops. I enjoy lamb, and these chops were some of the best I have ever had. I asked for medium rare (more rare than medium), and the se lamb chops were perfection. They ere served on a sizzling plate and I accompanied them with sautéed mushrooms. The meal was perfection.

A great meal can easily be spoiled by poor service. Black & Blue's service was up to the meal. The waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. He was attentive, but not obtrusive. I only wish I could go back. The lobster looked truly amazing!

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were in town to spectate at the PGA. The restaurant had called earlier in the day to confirm our reservation. We arrived on time and were seated right away. The restaurant was very busy with the crowds of tourist in town to attend the golf tournament. I had requested a quiet table and that was accommodated without an issue. The restaurant has a great ambience and I loved the decor.

Our waiter was wonderful and highly knowledgeable. We did make a poor appetizer choice (Crab Fondue) which was tasty but was very rich and left little room for dinners.

My husband ordered the sea bass special and I ordered a steak with potato fries with mozzarella . Both were very good and tasty. The portions were generous. It's too bad we were so full as we didn't appreciate our entrees as much as we should have.

We didn't have room for dessert but the waiter came by with a complimentary chocolate cake and two chocolate truffles. Yummy for those who love chocolate.

We loved the decor and the ambience. We would not hesitate to return.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

This is a great restaurant in a convenient location although that convenient location is in a strip mall. A nice selection of steaks, crab & lobster. It's not a steak house but if you like steak you can find pretty much any cut you want plus various types of sauces to go on top.

The wine list is extensive but the there only 3 beers on tap (the only one I recall was Blue Moon because that's what I had).

I personally ordered the short ribs which were FANTASTIC but those short ribs came on a bed of blue cheese mashed potatoes and there was so much blue cheese in the potatoes it was so overpowering that I couldn't eat them and had to get just regular mashed potatoes on the side. Blue cheese mashed potatoes is not a knew concept but I don't need to have my sinuses blown out either. Just to make sure I wasn't being picky about that, several people at the table tried these potatoes without telling them I felt they were too overpowering & they all had the same reaction. One even spit it out into their napkin. So, it wasn't just me!!

The good:
Already stated a few things: a great location and nice selection of steaks, crab & lobster.

We had 3 bottles of wine (if you like a great cab, you must try the Shafter 2010 One Point Five).
We ordered the app's of calamari, jumbo shrimp cocktail, oysters and the crab & lobster fondue. I loved every single one of these. I particularly loved the fondue but if I had to pick at it, it was just a tad too bit runny. It would've been better a little thicker.

This place was busy for a Tuesday night. Perhaps it was because it is PGA week and everyone is here in town but regardless. This place was hopping!

The bad:
Our table had 9 people and 2 of the steaks had to go back for being over cooked. Now that is a problem. One asked for "medium" and it was very well done and the other asked for medium rare and it too was well done. The restaurant was more than accommodating and re-fired the steaks but it was a disruption of the table.

Our waiter was knowledgable but need to work on his manners a bit. I am the customer. I don't really appreciate having my private conversation interrupted because you're hell bent on telling me the specials of the day at that time. If I'm totally immersed in a conversation, come back! It wasn't idle chit chat. I was there on a business meeting. I get they are busy and wanted to keep things moving but in the end my tab was over $1,100.00. That should earn me some time NOT to be interpreted in conversation.

Summary:
So, I feel I have been nit picky in this review because this is an upscale restaurant and when you are going to tout yourself as being upscale, I expect upscale.

Was it worth it, yes. If I lived here I would go back but just for special occasions or for when company visited.