“well executed fusion fare in spacious surroundings”
Review of Papaya

Papaya
Ranked #118 of 1,366 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Fusion restaurants generally make me nervous- too many cuisines and none done right. Papaya appears to be an exception. Hot and greaseless calamari, spring rolls and tempura were a enjoyable start to the meal and both fish and duck entrees satisfied. Service was pleasant and thoughtful, if a bit rehearsed.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my first visit to this restaurant. The food here is excellent but unfortunately the service was not the greatest. The waitress took our drink order and the had to return to the table to ask us again because she couldn't remember what we ordered. This would not have been a big deal except that she still brought us the wrong drinks. She also had to return to the table to ask us to repeat what we wanted for our entrees. After bringing us our meals we did not see her again until after we were finished eating.

Overall, this was a great restaurant. The only suggestion I would make is to be sure that the staff has had enough training. The waitress we had was very pleasant and nice, but she did not give us the level of service I would have hoped for. However, the food is absolutely delicious and well worth the prices.

1  Thank MrBrown2000
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We had another great meal at Papaya ! My lobster special was the best lobster meal I have ever had. Very tender and cooked to perfection. My wife's strip steak was excellent. Our friends ordered the Pork Chop special and wouldn't share so I know it must have been great!

Another wonderful meal and most enjoyable experience at Papaya. I love this place!

Manny

Reviewed March 3, 2014

This is a new establishment just inside Market Place Mall (also has private entrance). The menu is more upscale than anticipated. Prices are that of a nice restaurant. The decor is contemporary.The server was very knowledeable and willing to offer suggestions. Most of the sauces are spicy so I had my spicy coconut ginger on the side and not on the wonderfully cooked salmon (catch of the day). One of the soup specials was crab and asparagus with noodles - outstanding as judged by myself and friend. Very generous bowl. My friend had Mahi Mahi tacos - nicely presented and she enjoyed but noted it was spicy. Management checked on us to make sure we were satisfied. My friend has also been there for lunch and was very pleased. We both agreed we would return. We wish them well.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Tried Papaya for a Friday business lunch. As other reviewers have noted, the place was empty.
Clean sleek decor in a very nice space. My only comment for the owners- we were seated in the banquette facing the parking lot, and the light was so bright I couldn't see my friends face- they may want to think about shades.
Had a dumpling soup for the first course- the broth had clean, fresh flavor and the dumpling were tender and fresh. Light and tasty. Calamari for an appetizer was cooked perfectly. My pad Thai was solid.
Service was quick.
Good food, but they need to fill some seats to stick around for long.

1  Thank jilliam3224