“Super Diner Atmosphere! Great Food and Value”

James Brown's Place
Ranked #87 of 1,314 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I love this diner style restaurant. The food is great, the menu quite varied and clientele down to earth. The attire is super-casual, college diner-ish. Most of the breakfast items and sandwichs/tacos and gyros are under $5, main course dinners under $10 with a whole list of options to chose from. The servers are friendly and speedy with a smile to share. Try this place out for breakfast--expect to wait in line on Sat and Sun mornings as the word has gotten out. I'm going back to try the blackened Salmon dinner--for sure! Thanks for the extra special service and food--which was outstanding (mushroom omelette with swiss, side of grits and home fries). Love it and coming back. Mary Grace was a tremendous server. Thumbs up from Travelpapi

Reviewed December 31, 2013

Going through my visits this past year I regretted not giving James Brown's Place a thumbs up. An unusual menu with a friendly staff including James Brown himself who stopped by our table and chatted a bit. I saw some reviews that called this place a greasy spoon and when I reflected I thought that yes it is kinda but a nice one. I never feared for my life and in fact felt welcome and taken care of. Lucky that day?- don't know. I had the Breakfast P.O.S. which was cooked to perfection and tasty. This kitchen is inventive and deserves a thought if you're ever in the ROC.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

We've been to this restaurant twice for breakfast now while visiting our son at U of R, and both times, the meal was outstanding, the portions big, and the prices are very reasonable. Each time we came was on a Sunday morning so unless you get there by 9:30, you should expect to wait awhile to get a table, especially if your party is more than two people because the place is pretty small and crowded but the service was excellent and the food worth waiting for. This is an excellent alternative to Highland Park Diner.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The food was really good, there is a lot of variety. There was a long line to get in but it was well worth the wait. The staff were friendly and efficient despite how incredibly busy they were on a Sunday morning. We plan to come back. The rum apple French toast, pumpkin, pancakes, cheesy beans were all delicious.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I have been looking for a greasy spoon restaurant after being disappointed in all the Greek run diners in Rochester! This place had a great atmosphere almost like the ones you see on diners drive inn dives...the food is great and sit at the counter to be entertained by the two chefs, great young guys! Can't wait to go back!