“great food terrible service”

Zemeta Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #104 of 1,280 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Utica, New York
“great food terrible service”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Their Ethiopian food is excellent. But plan on a long long wait and don't expect the order to be right. We ordered a meat combination and eventually the vegetarian combo came out. The waitress asked if we needed injera. Of course. It never came. But the vegetable plate was delicious. We had ordered 3 dishes for carry out and one of those was also wrong. The people at the next table had the same issues. It was a comedy of errors. But oddly the food was all so good it didn't really matter.
So my advice is go and enjoy whatever you get and just go with the flow. I think we were there over 2 hours for lunch today. So go when you've got some time.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank MarilynUtica_NY

NY
“Great experience”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

The portion size, price, quality of the food and service were all wonderful.
The portions are very large so they can easily be shared.
A great place to try authentic Ethiopian food.
P

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank clarinet51
Ballston Spa, New York
“Wonderful Ethiopian Food!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We were looking for something different when my sister and I visited Rochester in early January. This restaurant looked like it would fill the bill. It lived up to our expectations. We thought that by arriving early about 5 PM seating would be no problem even tho it was a Saturday evening. Wrong! We took the last table that was not reserved. Of course it is not a large place. But our poor waitress really had to hustle to keep up and she did a great job!

After looking over the menu, I couldn't resist one of the lamb preparations and my sister opted for the vegetarian platter. Both were delicious, served with a yummy green salad and the traditional bread. The amount of lamb forced me to ask for a take-out container--it was plenty for two main courses for me. I did check out the buffet table ($9.95) and it all looked very appealing. Maybe next time I'm in Rochester!

Visited January 2014
Rochester, New York, United States
“Great Experience”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Amazing food! The spices and aromas teased us from well outside the building. The food was incredible, the service was excellent, and the experience was very unique. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
Rochester NY
“Interesting food”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Ate Lunch at Zemeta today with a group of 12 people. We did the buffet. The place is simple in decor. This location has been a couple different restaurants over time. The young lady, Zemeta, greeted us. She is a very nice lady. Was attentive and responsive. She explained each dish on the buffet (small buffet). Brought things to the table for us, like a large dish of rice, since it was not yet on the buffet when we started. Also brought us some fresh fruit (grapes, strawberries).
The buffet is vegetarian. VERY tasty dishes. Some are spicy, but nothing you can't handle. I know they tone it down a bit since many customers can't do really spicy. The injera bread was excellent and fresh. We had a nice time. We were able to push together several of the small tables to make one larger one for our big group. I recommend the spiced tea. Very nice aroma /flavor. Has clove, cinnamon, and cardamon in it. Freshly made with real whole spices.
I would recommend this place if you like international foods. Buffet was only 9.95.
They do have a regular menu as well.

• Visited November 2013