“Newly decorated....”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We went there while visiting Rochester and were surprised with a good meal. My last review of this place was less than glowing. Food was really good this time with the exception of the store bought bread, and service was good.... better than the last time. I figured out while sitting there I had been coming to this place for over 55 years. I ordered the $.10 beer and they just laughed. Their makeover is a real improvement.

1  Thank NCPilot253

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Our first vacation in Rochester was a wonderful stay, especially after my nephew mentioned that we must have dinner and Mr. Dominic's On the Lake. Being Italian, I never find food elsewhere as great as mine. As soon as I put my first fork of eggplant parm. into my mouth, I was shocked how great it was as well as the sauce. I looked at my husband as he was eating his pasta and he looked at me the same way. It was just Fabulous! I so Wanted the ingredients of their sauce and the eggplant was as great (or better) than mine. Large portions, good prices, great waitresses in this cozy restaurant and we certainly will be back there again soon.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I grew up in and around the NYC area. My family is from Sicily. I have been spoiled by being surrounded with amazing Italian food in any direction you could look. Even the crappiest looking of places would have the best food and it all tasted like my family would make. Having lived in Rochester since 2001, I have struggled with finding those same kind of places. For the most part, I don't care how nice the place is but the food needs it be really good. Everyone I know recommended this place as "the best" and "most authentic." I my opinion all these people, good friends included, are delusional. A good Italian place which makes southern Italian food, must have good, fresh red sauce. This one tasted processed like they just poured it out of some jar. The salads were as if they tore open a bag of iceberg and threw it in a bowl. Very fast food looking and tasting. The dressing tasted just like Kraft Zesty Italian, which I personally do not care for. The macaroni was overcooked and mushy, not al dente. Meatballs, hard as a rock. Service not attentive. At the time, the food was reasonably priced, but I don't like paying for bad food, even if its cheap bad food.

I really wanted this place to be good. I really wanted to have a go to Italian place here. This was not it. The cannoli was good, and that is about all I can promote. While I had dinner there a year ago, before their "renovation," I would not go back for a second try. Very disappointing.

4  Thank terlato
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Mr Dominic's has some great food but it does take a long time to get seated for dinner. I thought maybe with the remodel there may be more seating but I do not see much of a difference. The decor is amazing and the remodel was needed. We will definitely go back. The bartenders were amazing and the server was attentive and had no complaints about special requests.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We hadn't been here since the "remake", and since it was a hot summer day, we knew we should get there early so we wouldn't have a long wait. We were told "10 minutes" so we sat at the bar and had a drink. The bartender was great. After about 20 minutes, and seeing others who'd arrived after us be seated, my husband mentioned to the host that we were still waiting. It ended out to be at least 40 minutes (and another drink at the bar) before we were seated. Our server came to our table quickly, and was also great. I am a vegetarian, and she checked on some items for me. Believe it or not, their marinara has chicken base in it! That's sure not authentic. So, instead of the pasta I was craving, I ended out having a caprese salad. That too, was no where close to being authentic. It arrived, instead of what should have been a drizzle of balsamic, *swimming* in balsamic and oil. There had to be at least a half cup of dressing on maybe 6 slices of tomato and 5 of mozzarella. My husband 's meal was good but not great - he had a calamari appetizer and eggplant parm. He enjoyed both but said they were as good as others he has had at other local restaurants. So, all in all, it was ok, but not vegetarian friendly at all. You should expect that marinara sauce is vegetarian!