“My new regular place.”

Avvino
Ranked #67 of 1,289 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: French, Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: AVVINO opened in 2013 serving contemporary American and worldly cuisine. Chef Tim Caschette's fiercely seasonal menu showcases the restaurant's bonds with local farmers and purveyors. Janine Wasley takes the beverage program very seriously offering a carefully chosen wine list with close to 200 selections and forever changing cocktail program also taking inspiration from seasonal offerings. The restaurant offers three dining experiences: The Main Dining Room, Meyer's Den and The Patio (seasona
New York City, New York
“My new regular place.”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I was initially turned off by some of the menu names but when the food started coming I quickly changed my tune. (If you are from Rochester, I compare everything to Rocco's which I think Is the best in town) For starters the bread was fresh out of the oven and I ordered the king crab salad, it was awesome. My dining companion had the lobster soup and I think it was the best I had ever had. It was a broth base and not a chowder. For the main course the server recommended the Squid Ink Pasta which I had no interest in trying but took a chance and can honestly say it was not at all what I expected. Fresh made pasta Fettucine served with calamari rings, the flavor was like nothing I have had before and I will go back just for that dish. Our other dish was a steak. You could cut it with a fork and it was cooked to perfection. It was an opening night so they had some free appetizers passed. I normally like oysters but these I did not care for but the foie gras was AMAZING!!!
The setting was pretty understated and the place only had about 12 tables but the service was top notch. If you are a wine drinker they had an extensive wine list. My guess is this is the perfect place for date night or a business dinner but the prices were reasonably priced so I will likely make it a weekly event.
Location was right off the expressway in Brighton and parking was easy. I travel extensively and if I were visiting Rochester this is the kind of place I would want to be referred to.

• Visited July 2013