“Tasty dishes, awesome service”
Review of The Revelry

The Revelry
Reserve with OpenTable
The Revelry is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 1,288 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Culver Road
Rochester, New York
“Tasty dishes, awesome service”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We visited Revelry for dinner on a Friday night. Revelry is a newly opened business to the area. We made reservation for 4 people at 6 pm since we have a show to catch at 8pm. The restaurant has about 6-7 tables on the first floor on one side and the bar at the other side. In between was the host station where we were greeted, asked for our coats, and seated. If you look at the floor, an area is plexi glassed and you can see the wine cellar below. Kinda neat and unique feature for any restaurants around.
Our server for the night was Erica. She was pleasant and friendly without overdoing it. She gave us our menu and asked for water preference. I chose a sparkling water, lots of ice, slices of lemon and she brought it exactly as I wanted and kept the cap to my bottle!(big pet peeve of mine is when they throw out the cap on a big bottle that I rarely finish and it is wasted!), but kept my bottle in an ice bucket and kept my glass filled through the whole dinner.Just shows how Erica was mindful of these details that added to the pleasant experience. The décor downstairs was southern hospitality. The bar area was already full when we got there and it was a bit loud. I heard upstairs was a bigger area but I don't know if it was as interesting as downstairs. I did not peek.
We ordered the biscuits and a pork with crispy skin (special) for appetizers. The biscuits were fluffy and the pimento was very tasty. The pork was delicious but the skin was not as crunchy as I expected.2 people@ my table ordered the quail and they loved it. It was moist and tender and the gravy was just enough to compliment but not smother. I really liked the collard green side, I could've eaten a whole bowl! My son ordered Covia just because he'd never had it before. Covia is a white fish, mild and delicate. It was cooked perfectly and he really liked it. I ordered the Halibut dish which was actually a seabass replacement that night which was perfect because seabass is my favorite fish. They cooked it perfectly . It was moist and tender and cooked through. It was arranged beautifully along with the eggplant, asparagus, hen of the wood (mushroom), chorizo for a bit of saltiness and drizzled with a citrus saffron aioli. I was very happy with it. All the plates were done beautifully, there were just enough side and protein to satisfy but not make you feel too full. We were not hurried but Erica was always attentive. We would've tried dessert but we ran out of time for that and I was hoping for a nice bread pudding on the menu but they did not have some. Overall, I am very excited to welcome a place such as Revelry into the blooming restaurant scene of Rochester. It is different, the food is very good, the service is excellent, the building is lovely, with enough parking space. I hope it will stay for a while because I plan to visit again...and again...

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank ruby T

“Brizzunch!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Came for brunch on a Sunday. First off Jim we stinking love you and your wonderful service. Michelle was our stellar server and her friendly smile with the awesome drinks made us want for more. The burger was the tits and the poutine made me wanna scream for joy. Did I mention the cute bartenders??? Not only can they make a fantasmic drink but they sure know how to wear a vest. All in all go here. Period.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Good addition to the Rochester dining scene!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Revelry is one of those hard-core farm to table, foodie, dining experiences that you find a lot of in bigger cities, but in Rochester it's a great addition. We went between Christmas and New Year's and had a great meal. The cocktail menu is really fun, and there were a lot of younger people downstairs at the bar just drinking. The restaurant is really loud, so maybe the experience isn't for everyone, but its quieter upstairs. Our food and service was really good, the portions weren't huge, but adequately filling. We were there with my sister and brother in law, who live in Charleston, and my brother-in-law is from Charleston, as is the chef and GM who came to manage it for him. So the food definitely has that low country flair.

• Visited December 2013
Rochester, NY
“A ROCHESTER GEM”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

So enjoyed The Revelry. This is another great addition to the Rochester area's long list of fine restaurants. A destination and a great eatery in one. Bravo!

Service is doting and positive with a strong sense of personalization. The staff is careful, concerned, and focused. The menu is limited and with good reason. It too, is focused.

The setting and decor are stunning and provocative. What could be easily cold is made warm with just the right touches. This is a place that will become a regular part of my outside dining experiences.

• Visited November 2013
Rochester, NY
“Cool, Romantic, Lively”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Went here for some drinks and dinner with a friend on Nov 24, 2013. We had reservations and the tables were about half full when we were seated around 5:30pm, so I'd recommend reservations for dinner unless you're coming early like we did...

The bar area was hopping, mix of ages, hip and well dressed, friendly looking crowd. The bar area has large, lovely windows that provided a pretty view of the snowstorm outside; could also be a good view on rainy days or at sunset. The room was lit with neat fixtures and they quite handily achieve the prohibition era vibe they're going for.

We were seated upstairs in the back room, next to another set of very large windows overlooking the parking lot. The view of the snow was still pretty, but the windows were drafty and the parking lot was the only thing we could really see from there. They haven't installed the storm windows upstairs yet and I could see the screens were still in; hopefully they'll see this and address the draft! It wasn't intolerable, though, and I think they would have been happy to move us to a less drafty table if we'd asked.

Service was excellent from start to finish. We were greeted warmly by the hostess, the spirited bartender made me a delicious virgin Moscow Mule, we were seated promptly, and our waitstaff was gracious. When we left the hostess made sure to ask how we'd like our meal, which was a nice ending touch.

For my meal I ordered the beet deviled eggs to start and they were brought out quickly and plated beautifully. I couldn't quite taste as much of the beet flavor as I would have preferred, but I'm really into beets and they may have toned it down for the typical diner. I thought there was a little too much bacon on the eggs and it was overly crunchy; they could reduce the amount of bacon to a sprinkle and it would improve the dish. The dish would also be improved by a dollop of beet horseradish and/or some roasted beet puree added into the egg cup before the yolk mixture. It was a nice dish,though, and I'd get it again. For my entree I ordered the pumpkin soup and a side of biscuits. The biscuits were served with both a plain butter and what I believe was a spicy roasted red pepper butter. I liked the latter very much, it was a fun surprise. The savory pumpkin soup was nice and hot, which I note here because I've been served lukewarm soups at restaurants too many times. It came with a gorgeous spoonful of pecans, foam, and some other mysterious looking items that I eventually figured out I was to dip into the soup. But the foam was so tasty that I spent some time nibbling on that for awhile first. I dunked some of the biscuits into the soup and enjoyed that combination, would recommend the two dishes together. My friend had the cobia, which was too mild for my taste and could have been more rare, but he liked it. The interesting sides that came with the cobia, fried kale and pressure cooked chick peas, were right up my alley; they could have been served in slightly large portions, and I think the dish would have benefited from the addition of a grain on the plate. We didn't try any of the desserts, but were served some great complimentary cookies to top off the meal.

Noise level was as expected, fairly noisy but not deafening; couldn't hear the music, but we could hear each other. The decor was nifty, lots of things to look at and the building itself is a brick classic. For larger parties they have a very appealing round table with a glass top filled with wine corks underneath; I'd try to reserve that if dining with a group of friends!

Recommended.For those who like the vibe at Good Luck, it's similar.

• Visited November 2013