“Delicious food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Keenan's Restaurant
Ranked #534 of 1,262 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Italian, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
“Delicious food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Keenan's is a nice restaurant, family style. Has a good bar and has good prices during happy hour, $3 for a mixed drink and $4 for a glass of wine. Love their pecan crusted chicken salad, which comes in two sizes. The smaller one for $9.99 is plenty for me and the fish fry is delicious. You have your choice of sides, I like to get a baked pot. instead of fries and coleslaw. Bread is mediocre at best, very bland tasting, but you get a basketful with every meal. Desserts are good. Good place to go to dinner with friends or your spouse, they also set up for large groups in the lower dining area. Service can sometimes be a little slow during busy times.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank DstmNY

Rochester
“Nice place..”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went to Keenan's on a Sat.night..not busy at all. We ordered this appetizer which was indescribable but delicious. It had shrimp and artichokes..like soup..not creamy served with these little toasts served in a little crock..Really good. Food was ok. Should've had the chicken french but it's a little pricey but it is a big portion. Instead I got this english muffin with ham and turkey and cheese with russian dressing which I couldn't really taste so I asked the waitress who asked another waiter if it was supposed to have the dressing on it and it was but you couldn't really tell if it was on there. Waitress was fine, really seemed interested in our opinion. She asked me if I would order that dish again, etc. The only real problem was either her fault and the kitchen's but it took a really long time for the appetizer to get to us and then our dinners were not really hot enough. I thought the fries should've been hotter. I'm sure our stuff was sitting there waiting. She did have a huge party next to us to attend to though. I can't remember what my husband had. The problem was with the bill which was wrong TWICE!..if he wasn't a nut case about checking it we would've been overcharged big time..The first wrong bill was double ours! and then the second time something was added that we didn't get. This has happened to us before at other places..so I'm wondering if they do that on purpose thinking you're not going to check so the tip is higher, etc..I hope not...but you never know..It's close to our house so these misfirings won't keep us from going back. Atmosphere is fine..

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Rain882
“Crab Melt”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Enjoyed a pleasant atmosphere with friends last night though there were more people than usual making it loud and conversation more difficult to hear. The Beans and Greens appetizer size got good comments from my friends; I ordered the crab melt, a favorite but once again I could not cut thru the English muffin under this melt. The crab and cheese on top made for a tasty combination but since after several visits there, they cannot get edible muffins, I will probably select something different or ask the crab be put on bread instead.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GrammaTripper
1,888 restaurant reviews
“Nice place...average first visit.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I ate at Keenan's for the very first time tonight, which is unusual because I've been in most Rochester restaurants at one time or another. I must admit, my review (a '3' of 5), is a little bit slanted, because I really loved everything about this place, except for the food. (But isn't the food why you go to a restaurant?) So I'll try to explain in this expose.

First of all, we visited after our daughter's soccer game, having heard nothing at all about this restaurant, which is tucked into the end of a shopping plaza in Irondequoit. It looked like purely a bar from the outside, but upon entering we found that the bar also had a very large restaurant attached to it. Evem though it was the peak of the dinner hour on a Friday, we still were seated immediately, which was very nice. (There weren't a lot of empty tables, though.)

Our waitress was Liz, who turned out to be an EXTREMELY nice and attentive waitress with a wonderful gift of conversation and attentiveness. We really liked her, and left a large tip afterwards. Likewise, the atmosphere of the restaurant was really nice too, with lots of small "holiday" trees lit up throughout the place. (They claimed that they had trees for all holidays, including Valentines Day and more!)

After walking us through the menu, we placed our orders, and my soup came out first. I ordered a bowl of "seafood chowder," which I have to admit was very, very ordinary. The creamy soup base was sufficient, but the "seafood" consisted manly of the fake flaking crab that you buy in the grocery store. (I think some of it is whitefish, and most of it is artificial.) They also had some very small shrimp and other seafood "bits" in there, and it didn't really taste bad, but it was about the most ordinary concoction I've ever had when ordering seafood bisque.

For a main course, I ordered the crab-on-English-muffin sandwich, but made into a wrap. Once again, it was very ordinary. I guess the word I'd use to describe it was bland. Really bland. I only ate half of it, and they wrapped up the other half for me to take home. It's in my refrigerator right now, but I doubt I'll eat it. It came with some sweet potato fries, which were really tasty! I loved them.

Now, in defense of the restaurant, I wasn't very hungry when I went in there, as I'd had a late lunch. But I can't deny the fact that my entire meal was, well...not the best. I wanted to like it, but it just didn't appeal to me. My wife, for the most part, enjoyed her meal, which was a black bean and fish dish (I think), with what looked like a pineapple salsa, but I couldn't be sure. And my ten year-old daughter claimed that her chicken parmesan and pasta dish was GREAT...but she ate very little of it.

I'm probably not going anywhere with this review, and I'm also doing it very inefficiently. But the truth is that it's a pretty restaurant, and Liz gave us EXCEPTIONAL service, (I left a 23% tip.) But my food was so ordinary that I simply could not give it more than a 3. I would consider coming back to try this place again, but I'd probably try all of the other local restaurants first.

• Visited February 2013
Avon, Connecticut
“Great for Thanksgiving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

We just did our third Thanksgiving in a row at Keenan's. They do a really nice job. Plenty of turkey and other items. We were late and missed out on the lobster ravioli :(

They also ran out of apple pie but offered to substitute raspberry cheese cake. The cheese cake was fantastic and a real treat. Pumpkin pie was also offered.

The buffet selection is varied and broad. It appealed to all in our group that ranged in age from 10 to 90. We'll be back next year to continue our new Thanksgiving tradition.

• Visited November 2012