“Bad service, food and atmosphere. AVOID!!!”
Review of Cafe Cibon - CLOSED

Cafe Cibon
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Café CiBon is a European style bistro featuring fine Italian influenced cuisine and located on Park Avenue in Rochester, New York. We consider ourselves to be a genuine Enoteca is primarily directed at giving visitors the possibility to taste wines at a reasonable fee. Café CiBon offers everything from toasted Panini sandwiches, Focaccia Pizza, and seasonal pasta dishes. We pride ourselves in providing an authentic, warm, and social atmosphere. Customers are welcome to read or socialize inside and outside the café while enjoying an espresso, cup of coffee or one of our delectable pastries and tarts. Our revolving wine and martini lists are unique and are available on a rotating basis.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Server took 10 mins to acknowledge me and then didn't say hello. She hasn't smiled once. Food is extremely overpriced for what it is. Atmosphere is awkward and quiet. This is one of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had. Avoid at all costs!!!! Eat at McDonalds before here.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

I took visiting relatives from Paris here. We wanted to sit outside. There was a huge long table of people taking up most of the outside seating. They had clearly finished long ago and were just hanging out. I asked if they were leaving soon. No, said the server, it's the owner and his friends. We should have left right then. We said inside, and had an adequate meal. We ordered a bottle of California red wine. The inside temperature of the restaurant was probably about 75 degrees. They took the wine off a rack close to the ceiling - I am not making this up - so that the wine was about 85 degrees. it was practically warm. i was mortified and the server explained to me for my edification that "red wine is served at room temperature." I explained that "room temperature" should have been about 60-70 degrees F. I was offered...ice cubes. My French relatives had struggled to keep straight faces throughout this exchange but collapsed with laughter at hearing this. We took the ice cubes and won't be back. Maybe I'd stop in for a salad, provided all the outside chairs were not occupied by people who were not dining.

Reviewed June 12, 2011

At first glance, Cibon appeared to be on the right path for providing an excellent meal and overall pleasant experience. But the inconsistent quality, glacial speed, and almost non-existent service quickly turned our meal into a fiasco.

I give them credit for nice decor, outdoor cafe seating, and a creative menu that looks like someone with some expertise and pride was in charge of the kitchen. The staff was pleasant.

When the appetizers finally arrived a half hour after ordering, they were very good. The flavors were interesting and the ingredients fresh, confirming my initial assumption that someone with creative skill was in the kitchen.

After another hour our main courses arrived. I had the steak, of which almost one half was inedible fat and gristle. It was flavorless, tough, and overcooked, and was like a cheap Ponderosa steak that someone had spruced with some interesting sauce, spices, and garnish. It could have used a touch of salt, which unfortunately was impossible because there wasn't any on the table, and we never saw our waiter again. This was typical of a string of service disappointments.

The rest of the food was good. But it took us two hours to get in and out of this place, and the staff seemed confused, especially our disoriented and absent waiter.

Reviewed May 9, 2011

Went to Cafe Cibon with my wife and parents for what we thought would be a memorable meal. They were out of the dish I wanted (beef) so I went to plan B which turned out to be a disappointing, and mediocre cioppino, with a tasteless broth. But the worst part was my wife ordered her favorite type of dish, risotto with asparagus. As she was eating it, she noticed a lack of any asparagus. She called our lackadaisical waiter ("I haven't worked here that long so I don't know....") over and asked him what gives. He explained that the kitchen ran out of asparagus some time earlier in the day. Could he have not told us that while we were ordering a dish that featured asparagus?? Could the chef not have instructed him to warn us?? The topper for the evening was that my mother informed him, in confidence, that it was my birthday and asked if they could do something special for me. His solution was to walk over with a dessert menu and say, "I heard it is your birthday. Would you like to order something for dessert?" Now, isn't that special! In fairness, after I complained to the chef and suggested they comp my wife she did. It really didn't make up for the evening. We won't be back and neither should you.

Reviewed February 12, 2011

I just ate here for a Saturday late lunch. I was the only person in the restaurant. My food came quickly but after that I was apparently invisible. At one point there were four staff standing behind the bar chatting. My server was MIA for a bit and then I had to flag him down to get my coffee warmed up, etc. As I was eating my panini a staff member was talking about how a customer called in the previous day to complain. Then the whole staff joined in. Throughout their conversations there was plenty of swearing and I came to the conclusion that they're not too concerned about how they take care of their patrons. The staff is too busy socializing with each other than doing their jobs. The food is in no way special enough to put up with that. I recommend finding another resto on Park Ave.