“Outstanding food and our waitstaff Lindsey was top five ever!”
Review of Bernard's Grove

Bernard's Grove
Ranked #52 of 1,314 Restaurants in Rochester
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We have been a family owned and operated business since 1995, serving some of the finest food in town. First class service, consistency, freshness and savory flavors all combine to make Bernard's Grove one of Rochester's best. From soups and salads to desserts, our meals are house made from the finest quality ingredients. Our specials range from fresh fish flown in weekly from Hawaii or Boston to thick, juicy meats. We're sure to please you and your guest. Like one critic said about us, "eating is believing!"Please feel free to browse our menus. We take reservations and to-go orders over the phone. Thank you for your patronage!
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were invited to Bernard's by some great friends that live in the area and delighted with everything about this restaurant. The hostess/owner was extremely vibrant and helpful when ask about specials and recommendations. Our waitress Lindsey was one of the best, her knowledge of the menu and the Chef's specials for the evening along with her presentation was over the top.
The food, well that lived up to everything else and was top notch, flavors were perfect, steaks served on sizzle plates cooked to perfection. Highly recommend to everyone and we will go back many times and it's a 90 minute drive.

1  Thank Greg G

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I would be giving Bernard's Grove five stars, but, after the altercation last night at our "Girls Night Out" dinner, I was mortified. I have heard RAVE reviews about this restaurant. I can honestly say that everything that I have heard was true. We had the Artichoke French and Calamari to start....they were both wonderful! The Calamari was breaded perfectly and the Artichokes were tender and juicy. For dinner I ordered the Filet Mignon, it was cooked perfectly! For Dessert we had the Pumpkin Cheesecake, Vanilla Bean CremeBrulee, Grand Marnier Chocolate Mousse, and Brownie Sundae.....all were DIVINEEE... especially the Mousse!!!!

Throughout the course of dinner on our second round of drinks, my girlfriend ordered another margarita which was served to her with fruit flies in it. Needless to say, it was sent back to the bar. When it came time to pay our bill she asked if her drink could be complimentary due to the fact that it had bugs in it. When the hostess/manager/owner? came to the table to settle the issue, the exact opposite happened. The woman who came to our table argued with us, and told us that we were wrong. Her tone and choice of words were extremely rude and crass. The volume of her voice continued to escalate as her and my girlfriend attempted to settle the issue. Before I knew it, this woman was raising her voice to my friend in front of the whole restaurant... guests and staff. Everyone stopped what they were doing and all eyes were on us. IT WAS MORTIFYING. I know that we are young professional in our mid-twenties but we were continuously scolded like children in front of the whole establishment that still had seated guests eating dinner and individuals drinking at the bar. Even when she asked to walk away from our table and to please stop yelling, she would not and continued to raise her voice and argue.

We racked up a bill that was over $250 including the tip (I don't remember our servers name but she was wonderful!). Having the drink comped wasn't about saving the $8-$10 bucks. It was about the principle. The manager was extremely unprofessional and treated us as if our business did not matter to her. She acted as though she did not NEED our business and could care less if we returned to the establishment. Hostess, Manager, or Owner.... this woman's actions were appalling.

This was our FIRST time at Bernard's Grove. I am so upset that things turned out the way that they did. I truly wish that I could say I would be returning because the food and atmosphere were wonderful. But, I do not think that after what happened I could bring myself to come back. Unfortunately, this also applies to my three girlfriends.

1  Thank GirlsnightDisaster
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Tom, just called the restaurant to find out your name so I could let you know how wonderful our dinner was last week. However, whichever staff member answered the phone did not know your name and would not tell me theirs? I had to search the Internet for it. I was accused of being someone else and they wanted my personal information? I am not sure why the individual on the phone was so rude and proceeded to question me. I find it unprofessional that your staff is not aware of upper managements names when asked.

However... On another note, dinner was phenomenal! It was a great atmosphere and the service was on par. My husband and I have no complaints whatsoever and completely enjoyed our meal! It is unfortunate that when I called to try and do something kind I was treated as if I was doing something wrong. Very confusing. The woman on the other end of the line said my voice sounded familiar and that I could just leave the online review without your name because it was unnecessary information for me to have.

As wonderful as the service and dinner were, this has put a bad taste into my mouth and I am not sure if we will return due to the very uncomfortable phone call.

1  Thank Tiffany312
Spencer B, Owner at Bernard's Grove, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Hello, Tiffany, I've been trying to figure out all morning how to respond to your post, so if you received a response early from a "Gary NYY," thats me.
Let me start of by saying my family is terribly sorry for your experience at the Grove, and in no way does the one incident you experienced reflect the way we do things. The women you were looking for is my mother, Shannon. She is very sorry that the person who answered the phone couldn't of been more helpful and quite frankly, more courteous. Let me be totally honest and say after talking to that person, it was total mis communication based on a prior issue. We really hope this does not deter you from future visits at the Grove, especially since you enjoyed your meal so much. I can promise you the rude experience with a staff member on the phone will NEVER happen again. We would like to buy you a drink or an appetizer next time you come in. Again, I am sorry.

-Spencer Bernard

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had lunch here with 4 friends. The food was good. The waitress was the best. We ended up having another person join us, and the waitress moved another table to ours to accommodate the extra person.

The waitress was handling the entire lunch crowd by herself and she was amazing. Our coffee cups were always filled. She was always checking in on us.

We lingered for about 3 hours as we had not been together in years. It was truly relaxing and we had a blast!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We get a date night about 3-4 times a year, so I wanted it to be something we would remember.
Let's start with course and then presentation and then flavor.
Appetizers:
I had the calamari. Tender, sweet, but very garlicy. I like it that way but most would find it overpowering. If you're gonna do that, roast the garlic, make the sweetness come out and then people will appreciate the garlic for the sweetness AND the pungent flavor.
My wife had the shrimp greco. While flavorful, I thought the shrimp should have been started in this dish raw, with a semi-pre-cooked bacon so that everthing got done about the same time. It seemed that the cheeses ran out while the shrimp over-cooked, waiting for the bacon to crisp.
salad. this was the BIGGEST disappointment of the meal.
I get better at lunchtime diners. The salad chef would be well served to go to Cobb's Hill or Great Northern Pizza and eat salads for two weeks. Then, put some basics in the dinner salad. I understand the simplicity of the chef's salad as a side, but, 3 ingredients won't cut it anymore.
Dinner.
I ordered the cowboy steak; it was delicious. The bacon potatoes tasted like someone added bacon grease to be creative and produced a slimey mess on my tongue. It left a terrible vaseline texture on the palate.
The green broccolini is colorful, yet not very tasty.
My lady had the shrimp and mussels. Pasta cooked to perfection, nice white wine, chicken broth, thyme and herbs very subtle. Very good job on this dish. It's hard to not make this one salty and the chef nailed it.
The bread was cold, so we did not try it.
We got a pesto pizza for lunch the next day. Fabulous. We actually talked about getting that and a cup of soup next time we went, as the overall meal was not what we had hoped for in that price range.
If you don't care enough to warm the bread...
And for $123.00 I would have expected more value on the sides/salads.
Details people, details.