“I agree with SeattleHudd - curious business practices”
Review of Ristorante Lucano

Ristorante Lucano
Ranked #15 of 1,300 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2009

I also received gift cerificates, as, well, you know, gifts. I also would have thought that the tip could be included in the GC. I happened to have 2 of them given to me by different people, which amounted to $50. I tried to plan my dinner, so that the tax and tip would be under $50. I was then told that I couldn't do that. Also, a salad was NOT included in the dinner price! Every Italian restaurant I've ever been in offers a customer bread and salad as a starter - here you have to buy your own salad. At least they didn't charge for the bread. Seeing the expensive prices, such as $16 for lasagna which was good, but not worth $16, a salad should have been included. Another curious business practice. The service also was verrrrry slow, and also my date then found out that they don't even offer meatballs with the spaghetti! What's up with that??? I think what you are paying for more than anything else here is the atmosphere, which is terrific. The next time, however, when I'm in the mood for Italian, I will go somewhere else, where I can get a salad with my meal, meatballs with my spaghetti, and pay a lot less for food just as good. Thank God I had gift certificates.

2  Thank RochesterMooser
There are newer reviews for Ristorante Lucano

Reviewed August 9, 2009

We were visiting from Boston about a month ago and friends of ours took us to Ristorante Lucano. They told us it didn't look like much from the outside but that the food was excellent. Upon arrival I didn't expect much. It is located in a small strip mall and looks small. Once inside what a surprise!!. It is quite large, well decorated, has excellent servers and a wonderful menu to choose from. This small local restaurant could hold it's own against many of the top Italian eateries in the North End of Boston or Mulberry Street in New York. The food was excellent. Every meal was cooked perfectly . Only wish it were closer so we could return. If you are close to this area yo have to try it .

1  Thank lattelite
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The atmosphere inside Ristorante Lucano cannot be beat. The server told us of the specials and was fairly attentive to our needs the entire evening. It did take the entire evening to dine here; the service was somewhere between "casual" and "super-slow". The desserts we ordered were fantastic. The food was decent, but not worth the prices they charge. I'm sure the other reviewers can reflect on the food.

Perhaps one bit of information I can add to this site is how they handle gift certificates. THEY DO NOT LET YOU TIP USING A GIFT CERTIFICATE! Therefore, if you give someone a gift certificate as, you know, a _gift_, you are actually obligating them to pay the tip out of their own pocket. For this reason alone, I will never go back to this restaurant with my clients. What kind of stupid business person runs this place? Furthermore, they would not give the balance of the gift certificate in anything other than store credit. While this practice is common, it is does not conform with the way I do business (by giving clients certificates to eat where they please). So, they have lost all of my business.

In summary: the food was decent but overpriced. The service was thorough but slow. They don't let you tip using a gift certificate, so anyone with one will have to tip out of pocket (and will probably leave a smaller tip this way! Again, what kind of idiot thought up this idea?).

Reviewed December 22, 2008

Wonderful Italian food and the best Osso Buco on Saturday nights. Expensive and in a small strip mall next to Subway. Parking can sometimes be a problem.

1  Thank Gale123
Reviewed October 26, 2008

nice family run place and good food.