“disappointed”

Dining options: Reservations
Macedon, New York
“disappointed”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Decided to try the brighton for my husband's b-day service was great. Food was bad I gave my husband my food I had veal and it was fatty poor quality meat. Very disappointed in the food even my daughter couldnt eat hers. $85.00 for a meal I didnt eat.

• Visited May 2013

“Great experience.”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Always wondered about the Brighton and finally went for dinner. So many choices on the varied menu. I chose the pork chop which was done perfectly and enough for leftovers the next day. My friend had the weiner shnitzel which was amazing. Service was attentive and the decor was nicely done.

Only problem was the parking lot which is small. We got a spot but it was a little hard to get out. This is not unique to restaurants in a city.

Overall, we can't wait to go back.

Rochester, New York
1,982 restaurant reviews
“Old place, made a nice come-back from a fire”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Brighton is another place that I've driven past for many years, but never visited for a meal. It is a local mainstay in the dining scene, built into an old house that has never been changed THAT much since it was an old house. Still, the atmosphere is quite pleasant inside.

Anyway, we went there for lunch today as part of a recognition lunch award, and I was quite pleased by the entire experience. The service was both prompt and attentive, and the menu offered a wide variety of great looking lunches. I was about to order an ahi tuna wrap with ginger dressing when I saw a special that caught my eye. It was a cornmeal-crusted catfish on a bun with cole slaw and shoestring fries. I went with the special, as did several folks from our table, and it was a good decision. The catfish was done really nicely; crusty-cruchy on the outside while moist and tasty on the inside. The slaw and the fries were also really good, and I enjoyed the entire platter. The only suggestion for improvement I'd make was the sauce on the bun, which tasted too much like plain mayonnaise to me. I'd probably try to work a little more spice or Cajun seasoning (or any nice seasoning) into the mix. Still, it was a nice dish, served hot and appetizing.

The only other "down" point about this establishment is the parking lot, which is small and fills up quickly at lunch hour. Be prepared to wait for a spot, or to walk if you get there after the start of the lunch/dinner hour.

Overall, this was a great meal, which was accompanied by very good service. I will probably come back to this place with my family.

• Visited March 2013
Rochester, New York
“Satisfactory for lunch”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This was my first visit to The Brighton and was told that new owners had taken over only one month earlier. The inside decor was very nice and clearly had been recently redone. The staff was welcoming and very attentive; our water glasses never got to half full once. Our meal took 25 minutes to come even though there were only about 5 tables of people. Our food was satisfactory, no real complaints at all. That said, I think that the new owners just need a bit more time to get into the groove. It wasn't anything outstanding but it was satisfactory.

1 Thank SSA40
Rochester NY
“Nice atmosphere and service, shame about the food.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A friend and I went to the Brighton for lunch recently. I had not been there before. It's a very pleasant and cozy place with nice decor, and our waitress was excellent....but the food, not very good. My first course was a broccoli cheddar soup, and it was very clearly the same sort of "cheddar " that makes up Cheez Whiz, Velveeta, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. straight out of a a big poly-bag, no chef involved. It wasn't awful, just more kiddie-food-ish than I was expecting. I ordered a burger and was asked how I wanted it cooked, and I said medium well. The burger arrived and it was a thin layer of char on an inch-and-half thick patty of COMPLETELY RAW hamburger. Just as it comes out of the package, hadn't even released any cooking juices yet. Sent it back and asked the waitress what would be quick to prepare since my friend already had her meal and we wanted to eat together. The waitress suggested a deli sandwich. I ordered ham and cheese, and she asked what sort of cheese I wanted, offering cheddar as one of the choices. should have known better after the soup, but I asked for ham and cheddar, and she offered a choice of white, wheat or rye bread, and I chose rye. Sandwich arrived, and the alleged cheddar was pasteurized processed cheese food....American cheese, maybe a smidgen tangier so they call it cheddar. And the alleged rye bread was Wonder bread with a slight suntan. Ate it anyway because I was hungry, but this food was worthy of a school cafeteria, not a decent restaurant. The prices aren't cheap either, I can get a dependably good burger for half the price at Don's Original or Five Guys.

I see that other folks gave this place good reviews. Maybe they use better quality ingredients for dinner?

• Visited February 2013