“Great food and service”

Ranked #71 of 1,288 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Thali of India is Rochester's premier restaurant for delicious authentic Indian cuisine. For mouth-watering taste in every bite, come into Thali of India.
Ithaca, New York
“Great food and service”
Reviewed January 14, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Usually Indian buffets don't have great service. The food is usually OK. But this restaurant clearly cares about both the quality of the food AND the quality of the service. Rochester is lucky to have this place.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank 993ga73

Rochester, New York
“Consistently Great, Authentic Northern Indian Cuisine - One of the Best Anywhere”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Rochester and indeed is one of the best Indian restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of frequenting. It is better than any I have ever gone to in Toronto or NYC (Buffalo does have a great Indian restaurant named Tandoori's) and is as good as any I have had in England (where curries are literally king). Indeed, it is actually equally as good as what I have had in Northern India - it is that fantastic. Extremely authentic, with always varied buffets (buffets are usually the way to go with Indian as the Indian meal is really always served with several courses at once or closely following) overseen by the diligent owner Makhan and his lovely and friendly wife with a very courteous wait staff. Super clean (including the kitchen which I have seen) and wonderfully decorated with a step down buffet area. Nice colors and art on the walls and a background of soothing traditional Indian music. The food is presented and served with love and the utmost respect for the diner. Makhan loves what he does and this is a wonderful place to go. Go hungry, go for the buffet (lunch times and Monday nights) and enjoy it all. If the review meter for this went up beyond five I would give Thali's an eleven. If you are worried about hot spices in the food don't worry. This is Northern Indian cuisine from the Punjab region where the emphasis is on blending tastes and flavors over heat. The owners and many of the staff are Sikh (wonderful people, wonderful religion) and their world view and philosophy is on excellence of purpose and truth in living and deeds. This shows in the food presented and how it is served. The food is spicy but in the sense of aromatic and complex versus heat. The naan (bread) is brought out warm and replenished if you need more (I never have). For the price of the meal with the quality served I do not know how the owner makes it - except I will note that this is a very popular restaurant and is often close to full. I can't fault them on anything or say there is even anything I would improve on or change. Yes, I truly love this restaurant and the magic of the real India it gives you. I wish I was there now.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Mark D
New York, New York, United States
“Hands down the best in ROC”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I grew up in Rochester and have tried every indian restaurant there is. This by far has the best service and atmosphere with live music on weekends for dinner. The garlic naan, butter chicken, mushroom masala, vegetable jalfreezee, and shahi paneer are always a go to favorite. I brought my husband here and as a foodie from NYC he loved it.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Shaila S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Quite Good”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We are frequent visitors to Rochester who come from a larger US city where Indian restaurants are abundant and accordingly, our standards are high. We chose this place with skepticism because of a rave review from our host's colleague, but were not at all disappointed. The service was attentive, selections broad, the quality quite good, and the preparations authentic. Dining with children at this restaurant was very pleasant. Servers from Nepal were particularly friendly.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank carpathianarts
New York City, New York
“Best Indian in Rochester...even NYC”
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

I'm on a trip to Rochester and stopped by thali of India. We were blown away. We are food snobs from NYC and Thali was far better than anything we've had in NY. I highly recommend a stop. Great service and fantastic

- butter chicken