“Most disgusting food posing as Indian I have ever had.”
Review of Thali of India

Thali of India
Ranked #62 of 1,274 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Description: Thali of India is Rochester's premier restaurant for delicious authentic Indian cuisine. For mouth-watering taste in every bite, come into Thali of India.
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Most disgusting food posing as Indian I have ever had.”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Do you want food that is heavily deep fried, lacking any actual curry, cumin or coriander, provides no chutneys for their poppadoms, runs out of ingredients and screws up orders? Then this is the place for you! I want to say straight off that I live in the curry capital of the UK (leicester) where you can get a fantastic curry every five miles because the population is predominantly Indian. My boyfriend and I were visiting Rochester to take the city into consideration for moving (I am American, he is British) and discovered this restaurant on tripadvisor, deciding to give it a go because of the great ratings. It was the absolute worst attempt at Indian food I have ever had. If this is the example set to Americans, it is no wonder that most think Indian food is gross. We ordered the vegetable samosas, onion bahji's, keema nan bread, chicken pakora and chicken jalfrezi...typical popular items, to get a feel for the restaurant. The Samosa were 4 times too large, heavily deep fried and tasted like a cornish pasty full of potato instead of small, light and flaky with a spicy kick. The onion bahji's tasted like fried dough and the keema nan was so disgusting that we took one bite and left the rest. The mutton in the keema nan was unseasoned, too thick and tasted like sweaty socks. The chicken pakora was surprisingly nice in flavour, but dry as a bone and the chicken jalfrezi had fried broccoli, no seasoning and again the chicken was overcooked and chewy. It tasted more like a bad americanized chinese than Indian. If you know what real Indian is supposed to taste like, avoid this place at all costs. We had to have a good curry the moment we returned home to erase the memory of the nightmare that was Thali of India. If this curry was in the UK I would have given it 1 star, however, on a positive note the staff was nice and despite screwing up our order tried to make amends. Of course it was in giving us more food that we didn't really eat instead of knocking a percentage off the bill. If we decide to move to Rochester, I suspect we'll be cooking our curries, preparing our starters and making our nan breads at home.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Cleverlikeafox

Angelica
“Great taste”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Buffet had an awesome selection. Food was fresh and flavor was unbelievable! Nice atmosphere and friendly, attentive waiter.

Visited September 2012
4 Thank armybrat12
NY
“More please”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The lunch buffet is nothing short of amazing. Every time I have eaten here I have left way over full (just one more thin wafer sir?) because it's all so good.

My only complaint is that the food is too rich; it has to be cooked with cream or butter or some other endorphin creating substance that causes you to crave more. My Indian friend said "This is good, but its not authentic. It's way too rich."

Well, I guess I'll work out a little longer :-)

• Visited May 2012
4 Thank h1d3m3
Valencia, Spain
“Great Indian buffet!!!”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I love this restaurant!!! The buffet is delicious and such a great value especially for lunch ($10). You can even takeout and split with someone which is plenty for their takeout containers!! The staff is very friendly too!

4 Thank mvattan4
Upstate, New York
“The Best Indian Buffet & Excellent Service”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Thali has become one of my restaurants of choice even for people who have never eaten Indian food. The three people who were new to Indian quisine all went back or seconds.

• Visited May 2012