“Think 2.5 stars: Good food, but a shocking lack of service”
Review of Pomodoro Grill

Pomodoro Grill
Ranked #238 of 1,274 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Italian, American, Bar, Pizza, Mediterranean, Pub, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Culver Rd.
rural hinterland
“Think 2.5 stars: Good food, but a shocking lack of service”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We were in town for the Melanie musical, and we were a bigger group. None of us was from Rochester, we were all guests, and the one member who lives in this town had suggested we'd meet here before the show. But she was late.

So now there are 8-10 people (or so) standing around in the foyer of this restaurant, we were NOT SEATED, because the booker of the reservation wasn't there. None of us had ever met her, our Melanie fan group meets normally online only.

I am from Germany, and so was another member of our group. We agreed that in Germany we would simply have taken any table, had started to eat, and those coming late would have less time to eat. But alas, this is different here.

You cannot just go to a table here, they have staff to decide where AND WHEN you will sit (or not), and for us Non Americans this was unbelievably irritating. We were on a tight schedule, the theater was NOT across the street, we would all need to get there yet, but first, we wanted to eat.

Hubby and I had skipped lunch, as we were late getting on the road, so now we were REALLY hungry. But we had to stand around waiting in that foyer, for about half an hour.

Finally somebody decided that they would seat us, and now we had a lot less time. I wanted to have a full menue (appetizer, dish, dessert), but now there was only time left for one thing for everyone.

And then I made the wrong choice! I went with the tortellini with roasted peppers, and they were good, but they were only a very small portion. It was really an appetizer.

My bad, I know, pasta is always only the first course, and you are supposed to eat something else for the main course. But this restaurant didn't seem to be so upscale that I didn't think they'd know that. Well, I was wrong, I had chosen that pasta dish and was served the appetizer size.

Other people had more luck, they also had pasta, but it was a lot more food on their plates. I was so jealous! Had we had more time, I would simply have ordered that other dish next and would have eaten that on top of my tortellini, but alas again, we had waited for half an hour unseated, so now there was no time left. So I left still hungry.

Hubby had a pizza, and he had enough food. But I wasn't sure about pizza there, I didn't see any wood fired oven, and only those make good pizza. My husband grew up in Pennsylvania, eating terrible PA pizza all his life, thinking that is normal, so he is not so specific. Any pizza will do for him. He was lucky that he got a big enough portion.

Foodwise I must say it was good, and everyone liked their food. Some other people had salads and they looked good, too.

But the fact they had left us standing there idling for half an hour while we had a schedule to follow, that is unforgivable. So that is why I am only rating them average. I would actually rather give only 2.5 stars, but this is not an option here.

Oh, and that Rochester member did show up later. Things happen, she was with 3 others and they were delayed. But it was because of the restaurant's policy (or what?) that all others had to cut their dinner short.

My husband and I will be back in town for 2 more shows of the same musical, and we will ABSOLUTELY NOT return to this place.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Albgardis T

Florida
“Good pizza”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was here for a wedding rehearsal dinner and was quite pleased with the restaurant. Service was laid-back but punctual. We had ordered 2 pizzas and greens & beans. The pizza was some of the best I've had for some time and we carried it back to the hotel where it ended up being our lunch for 2 days.

I've never had greens & beans before (must be a northern/Italian thing) but loved them and have since made them several times since then.

We were sat in the front room rather than the main room and didn't find noise levels to be too loud.

Overall, a place I'd go back to.

• Visited September 2012
Syracuse
“Live music on Saturday night”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

While I enjoyed the live music at Pomodoro on a recent Saturday night for dinner, it made talking with people difficult. Food, as always, is good and very plentiful.

Visited October 2012
Loudonville, New York
“Nice Dinner”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My daughter & son-in-law took us to Pomodoro Grill while visiting the Rochester area. Food was great, although it was rather noisy in the restaurant. We all had an enjoyable meal, husband took home about 1/2 of his meal since he couldn't finish it all. Service was a little slow, but understandable for a busy Friday nite. Looking for forward to returning in the summer to each on the patio.

• Visited October 2012
Rochester, New York
“delicious!”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

They have the most amazing appetizers!! The entree menu is good too! The drinks are great ... especially on hot summer nights!

Visited June 2012