“Not the Best but Not the worst”
Review of Plum House

Plum House
Ranked #285 of 1,364 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Kitchen dinners were very good. The Sashimi was good but the portions were small for the price. The service was not very attentive or accurate. Probably would not go back.

1  Thank mokondis1

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We visited this restaurant using a Groupon promotion. So glad we did. The food was excellent. I had one of the "Kitchen Dinners" - sliced chicken in ginger sauce, which was served on a bed of suateed vegetables with a side of rice. My husband ordered a chicken negamaki combination which included 2 giant tempura shrimp, tempura vegetables, rice and 3 California rolls in addition to the main meat. My son had one of the sushi dinners. We were all pleased. All dinners are served with miso soup (thick with greens) and a green salad with a delicious ginger dressing. Menu is extensive and there are plenty of choices for non-sushi lovers. Portions are large. Servers were friendly and attentive. Would definitely go back - even without a Groupon.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

The Plum House is a local staple in the food scene of Monroe Avenue. It is, first and foremost, a sushi house, although you can order from amongst a variety of other entrees, including a bunch of noodle (udon) bowls that look good but are a bit on the bland side for me.

The sushi bar in this place is right by the front door, and you can watch your meal being prepared as you wait. (The tables are too far from the front door either...neither is anything else, as this place is quite small.) Plum House is a nice place with good food and reasonable prices, although I'd recommend it for lunch more than I would for dinner. Parking can be a problem, so be prepared to walk a few blocks if you arrive during lunch or dinner hour.

1  Thank Larry W
Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I can walk to Plum House, so we go fairly regularly. We aren't really into the "trendy" sushi experience, so Plum House is perfect for us. I like it better than Piranha Sushi on Park Ave.

The sushi chefs are right there as you walk in the door, and greet you, which is nice. Having lived in Japan for a short time, I find their menu to be authentic. I recommend the seaweed salad, any of the sushi, and the chicken oyakodon, which is delicious. The prices are great, and we've never been disappointed in anything we've ordered.

The only thing I don't like is how they have squeezed about 5 or 6 two-tops in at the front, in a row, with only about a foot between. Since there's no music, it's like everyone can hear what you're saying. We have gotten to where we request a 4-top just so we don't have to feel awkward.

Overall, though, it's a great low-key place to get sushi on a week night. Highly recommend.

Reviewed January 22, 2012

The restaurant is small but very friendly. The staff greeted us as soon as we walked in. We ordered the sushi for two and the dinner came with soup and salad which were both very good. The sushi came very quickly for as busy as they were. The presentaion of the plate was very creative. The flavor was good but not the best we have had, we would go back.