“Small but friendly sushu joint” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Rochester, New York
1,888 restaurant reviews
“Small but friendly sushu joint”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

The Plum House is a local staple in the food scene of Monroe Avenue. It is, first and foremost, a sushi house, although you can order from amongst a variety of other entrees, including a bunch of noodle (udon) bowls that look good but are a bit on the bland side for me.

The sushi bar in this place is right by the front door, and you can watch your meal being prepared as you wait. (The tables are too far from the front door either...neither is anything else, as this place is quite small.) Plum House is a nice place with good food and reasonable prices, although I'd recommend it for lunch more than I would for dinner. Parking can be a problem, so be prepared to walk a few blocks if you arrive during lunch or dinner hour.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Larry W

Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Convenient, Authentic Japanese food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I can walk to Plum House, so we go fairly regularly. We aren't really into the "trendy" sushi experience, so Plum House is perfect for us. I like it better than Piranha Sushi on Park Ave.

The sushi chefs are right there as you walk in the door, and greet you, which is nice. Having lived in Japan for a short time, I find their menu to be authentic. I recommend the seaweed salad, any of the sushi, and the chicken oyakodon, which is delicious. The prices are great, and we've never been disappointed in anything we've ordered.

The only thing I don't like is how they have squeezed about 5 or 6 two-tops in at the front, in a row, with only about a foot between. Since there's no music, it's like everyone can hear what you're saying. We have gotten to where we request a 4-top just so we don't have to feel awkward.

Overall, though, it's a great low-key place to get sushi on a week night. Highly recommend.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Henrietta, New York
“nice, friendly dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

The restaurant is small but very friendly. The staff greeted us as soon as we walked in. We ordered the sushi for two and the dinner came with soup and salad which were both very good. The sushi came very quickly for as busy as they were. The presentaion of the plate was very creative. The flavor was good but not the best we have had, we would go back.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
New York
“The maki dinner is big and good for two.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

I had maki dinner and it came with philadelphia roll (which I like most among the 3), spicy tuna roll and california roll. It was served with miso soup and salad. The maki were good and well made. We arrived early and the place was almost full when we left. My friend had tempura dinner and I tried her brocolli and zuchini tempura, they were cooked right and very crispy and tasty. This Japanese restaurant is worth a try. Sever is attentive but with a lot of clients, it was difficult for her to keep track of our drinks and had to remind her to fill our glasses. Parking may be difficult as it shares with Starbucks. But there are lots of street parking available.

• Visited August 2011
Upstate N.Y.
“King's Wok on most any corner would have provided a more flavorful meal.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I love Japanese food. But not from this place, I was greeted by a hostess who really didn't act like she was pleased to be bothered, and some strange odor I couldn't identify. The server was prompt, attentive, and friendly. I ordered a reasonably good fresh spring roll, overly salty miso soup, a very boring avacado salad {slices of avacado on iceberg lettuce with gingerless bland dressing} and a plate of beef nagamaki {spelling?} which may have been steakums rolled around scallions. I guess I have been spoiled by the Sakura in Canandaigua, but the reality is eating at the corner wokery would have been more satisfying.

• Visited August 2011