“Just ok”

Rooney's Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 1,274 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“Just ok”
Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

I was excited to try Rooneys after reading so many rave reviews but was disappointed by the food and atmosphere. It was fairly noisy and the food was very dry. I ordered the mixed grill and while the house-made sausage was nice the entire platter was very dry. My companion ordered a mushroom pasta dish which was just ok.

Fort Collins, Colorado
“Delicious - Romantic - Expensive”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We have been going to Rooney's for special occasions for over 20 years and believe it to still be one of the top 5 "fine dining" restaurants in Rochester. Many of the dishes now lean toward "classic continental" rather than "cutting edge" but are always excellently prepared and presented. On a recent visit over the holidays both the seared scallops and the duck breast were very nice. The smallish main dining room is quite elegant and refined, with the tables in the bar area a bit less formal. Service is polished and professional, without being stuffy. Our server facilitated a conversation we had with the kitchen over a unique flavor in one of our salads. Rooney's has a nice wine list including some excellent choices by-the-glass. But be prepared to pay for all this quality - we usually cannot get out the door for less than $125 per couple.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ROCtraveler30
New York City, New York
“Likely the best food in Rochester”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Excellent menu choices. Fair # of appetizers; same for salads(sorry that no salad comes as part of the pricey entrees). Being hungy, my daughter and I split a mixed greens salad, which wasn't anything special at all...not enough dressing; and the mixed greens were somewhat wilted. should have sent that back(but it was my birthday and didn't want to cause a scene then)...Entrees:) a varied assortment that our night, included two cuts of lamb; I mention that, since I like lamb; I chose the lamb shank. It wasn't pretty on the plate; a huge shank with a few root vegetables(which were delicous) and a small dollop of great mashed potatoes...I just think that the huge shank overpowered the size of vegetables and potatoes...This was a $36 entree; the salad, I believe, was $8. just to give you a sense of the prices...Overall, the entree menu shouldn't leave one hungry..oh yes: the desserts: quite unique selection that always includes homemade icecream. The facility is in an old building which includes the old bar(looks like a speakeasy era wooden bar...in the "Swillburg" area of Rochester. Off the main road; really quaint area..

• Visited January 2013
Penfield
“Has it all”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We forgot about this place for years but have just gone twice in the last week with two different couples. So between the 8 meals over the two visits everyone's meal was great. The wine list is very good and the waiter gave us very good recommendations based upon our tastes. Service is superb. We have been looking for a consistently good and higher end resturant, Rooneys fits the bill.

• Visited December 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Superb eating; quiet luxury”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Their website, www.rooneysrestaurant.com discusses that fact that they are a "best kept culinary secret". It's true! I'd lived in the area for over 20 years before "finding" this great, great restaurant. You need reservations...they ARE busy, so word of mouth has served them well. Excellent menu; I'd characterize it as being "European" cuisine. I had a lamb dish...sweet, tender, perfectly cooked (not over!). It was a Mother's Day meal. The atmosphere is cozy, quiet, even in the midst of a full restaurant. It is a bit out of the way, although quite "downtown", located just south of the I-490, right off of Goodman. It's a "must do" spot!

• Visited May 2012