“Far Exceeds the Restaurant Chains”
Review of Phillips European

Phillips European
Ranked #3 of 38 Dessert in Rochester
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Quality food, flavorful, and well prepared is the high note here. The vegetables and salads were obviously fresh. The lemon chicken entrée was tender and delicious with a hint of lemon that was not overpowering. Atmosphere is neat and lace curtain clean. Gentle music plays overhead that allows for normal conversation. The service was polite, although not over the top. If you are seeking to impress a business client, stick with the overpriced cookie cutter venues. However, if you are looking for a great value at a place where the food is center stage, then Phillips European is a great choice. And, oh, yes, please leave room for one of their excellent desserts.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife's favorite place to get coffee and desert. We have been here five or six times and everytime is great. The deserts are very fresh. The price is a bit high because you get such a big slice of the cake. Overall great place, clean, friendly, and nice atmosphere.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have eaten lunch here a half dozen times within the past couple of years. Largely as a result of visiting some of the hospitals in the immediate area. For some difficult to explain reason, I don't think I would choose to eat dinner here, unless i lived in the immediate area. And then I think I would eat dinner here quite often.
Phillips begins serving lunch at 11:00 AM and I am guessing their kitchen is open until 8:00 or 9:00 PM; I have never had dinner here. There is a full service and sit down bar. Although I would say people come here for either lunch or dessert, I have come for both and i feel both are very good to excellent for what they are.
Lunch has always been piping hot, seemed very fresh, and reasonably priced >$15.00. The desserts are very lovely, generously portioned; so generous I typically share mine with someone else at my table, or order one to take away.
Interestingly, one of the owners is a dentist and she has a section of the store/restaurant devoted to dental health products and literature. A major Rochester based grocery store chain even carries some of their dental healthy chewing gum.
Don't just come here for the latest in dental health. Give Phillips European a try for the straight forward culinary choices.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I hear the carrot cake was amazing. I chose the Almond Raspberry tart. I wanted to go back and get another piece.

I had tomato soup and mussels. They were both ok. Tomato soup at Madeleine is better.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have eaten at Phillips European a handful of times and can summarize my experience in one word: satisfactory. I have eaten in restaurants and cafes in major cities around the world as well as most of the good restaurants in Rochester, and don't think Phillips is even among my favorite top ten.

The meals have always been somewhat tasteful, and I've never found a hair or fly in them, but that is the extent of my praise. So, what I really want to comment on is the staff. I have found them to be consistently indifferent. Never, NEVER friendly. The interaction between yourself and the wait staff is part of the pleasure of the meal. To have someone who doesn't engage in small chit-chat or not return to fill your water glass until your ready for the check doesn't cut it for me.

I specifically remember taking my elderly mother and stepfather to Phillips for her birthday lunch (per her request). We had to wait a while to be seated. Mom uses a walker and is unsteady on her feet for long periods of time. When I asked if it was possible to seat her someplace during the wait the hostess huffly replied that we'd have to wait like everyone else would be seated as soon as it's possible. Complete disregard for our needs.

After being seated, Mom has some dietary restrictions, and when asked about certain foods, the waiter seemed upset -- as if we were challenging him, instead of making certain Mom did not have any reaction to her meal.

For comparison, the folks at the old fake Italian chain, the Olive Garden, are quick to accommodate any requests to assist their senior guests. Yes, I know Phillips is not the Olive Garden. It's unfortunate for Phillips European. They could learn a thing or two about customer service.

To top it off, I don't think the ambiance is anything extraordinary, either. It looks like a dinner. Here's a suggestion: get rid of those cheap prints and throw some nice paintings on the walls.

1  Thank NovemberTravels