“Solid lunch choice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Phillips European

Phillips European
Ranked #3 of 34 Dessert in Rochester
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New York City, New York
“Solid lunch choice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have eaten lunch here a half dozen times within the past couple of years. Largely as a result of visiting some of the hospitals in the immediate area. For some difficult to explain reason, I don't think I would choose to eat dinner here, unless i lived in the immediate area. And then I think I would eat dinner here quite often.
Phillips begins serving lunch at 11:00 AM and I am guessing their kitchen is open until 8:00 or 9:00 PM; I have never had dinner here. There is a full service and sit down bar. Although I would say people come here for either lunch or dessert, I have come for both and i feel both are very good to excellent for what they are.
Lunch has always been piping hot, seemed very fresh, and reasonably priced >$15.00. The desserts are very lovely, generously portioned; so generous I typically share mine with someone else at my table, or order one to take away.
Interestingly, one of the owners is a dentist and she has a section of the store/restaurant devoted to dental health products and literature. A major Rochester based grocery store chain even carries some of their dental healthy chewing gum.
Don't just come here for the latest in dental health. Give Phillips European a try for the straight forward culinary choices.

• Visited April 2013

Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent pastries Food ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I hear the carrot cake was amazing. I chose the Almond Raspberry tart. I wanted to go back and get another piece.

I had tomato soup and mussels. They were both ok. Tomato soup at Madeleine is better.

Visited April 2013
Rochester, New York
“Eh...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have eaten at Phillips European a handful of times and can summarize my experience in one word: satisfactory. I have eaten in restaurants and cafes in major cities around the world as well as most of the good restaurants in Rochester, and don't think Phillips is even among my favorite top ten.

The meals have always been somewhat tasteful, and I've never found a hair or fly in them, but that is the extent of my praise. So, what I really want to comment on is the staff. I have found them to be consistently indifferent. Never, NEVER friendly. The interaction between yourself and the wait staff is part of the pleasure of the meal. To have someone who doesn't engage in small chit-chat or not return to fill your water glass until your ready for the check doesn't cut it for me.

I specifically remember taking my elderly mother and stepfather to Phillips for her birthday lunch (per her request). We had to wait a while to be seated. Mom uses a walker and is unsteady on her feet for long periods of time. When I asked if it was possible to seat her someplace during the wait the hostess huffly replied that we'd have to wait like everyone else would be seated as soon as it's possible. Complete disregard for our needs.

After being seated, Mom has some dietary restrictions, and when asked about certain foods, the waiter seemed upset -- as if we were challenging him, instead of making certain Mom did not have any reaction to her meal.

For comparison, the folks at the old fake Italian chain, the Olive Garden, are quick to accommodate any requests to assist their senior guests. Yes, I know Phillips is not the Olive Garden. It's unfortunate for Phillips European. They could learn a thing or two about customer service.

To top it off, I don't think the ambiance is anything extraordinary, either. It looks like a dinner. Here's a suggestion: get rid of those cheap prints and throw some nice paintings on the walls.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NovemberTravels
Rochester, New York
“Great and different entrees-and the desserts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Phillips is a classy place in Brighton that has a varied menu with many dishes I haven't seen elsewhere in Rochester. They always have specials that are unusual and delicious. The staff is very accommodating and truly want to know if you like your food. Once, the waiter noticed I wasn't eating my entree and asked me about it. I told him I didn't care for it and he immediately took it away and brought me another selection. It has a beautiful decor and is a great place for small parties, The party menu is complete and not too expensive. And the desserts! So many to choose from in a huge showcase with special desserts prepared daily. A cake of different slices can be ordered for off site. There is plenty of free parking and the restaurant has several rooms of tables and booths for an intimate ambiance. The hosts are friendly. This is where I like to go for a special occasion.

Rochester, NY
“Excellent food, but desserts are even better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

This is a great place to go for lunch, dinner, dates, etc. They have a fairly good selection of foods that are resonably priced. But save room for dessert, because this is the highlight of Phillips European! Their desserts are scrumptious, we have never been disappointed. The only problem is that there is too much delicious food to choose from!