“Check out their Fish Fry”
Review of The Beale - CLOSED

The Beale
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The Beale is located in the South Wedge area, which hosts a number of eclectic eateries. The service was so so in the beginning but then worsened as the meal progressed, however, the food is reasonable priced and very good. They have a number of Friday fish fry selections (haddock and catfish) and I tried a fried haddock and the broiled catfish. Both selections were fresh, hot and delicious. We arrived there at approximately 6 pm on a Friday night and the restaurant was not loud but it was becoming busier and louder as we departed.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Located in an eclectic neighborhood, this restaurant had everything! Great food and service and fun decor. We had the Shrimp and grits and it was amazing. It came with cornbread which had an amazing flavor and texture but it was served cold. Even room temp would have been better than out of the refrigerator cold. I saw that they had Crab Bisque on the menu but only on Fridays and so I went back for lunch just to get it. I was not disappointed. I had a substantial bowl of soup for $5. Do not miss this restaurant if you are in Rochester, NY!

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I recently visited Rochester NY and had an opportunity to have lunch at The Beale. I went with one thing in mind, a Muffaletta sandwich. I was not disapointed. The sandwich was packed with meats, cheese, and an olive salad that was awesome. It was fresh, hot, and the bread, baked in house was perfect.
If you are ever on South Street in Rochester, and you happen upon The Beale, take the time to enjoy their menu. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

we have wanted to check out the Beale for awhile so tonight was the night. I had shrimp and grits, which also had sausage, bacon and mushrooms. This dish was rich and tasty and had plenty of shrimp in it. My husband had jambalaya which he said was "ok, nothing memorable". I dont like the pepper/onion stuff together so it didnt appeal to me. It wasnt a big serving for what we paid, in my opinion. Our server was nice and attentive. My over all impression was that I wouldnt need to return for the dinner selections. The appetizers/drinks scene could be fun on another night.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped there on Friday, May 24th for dinner (finally; we had been meaning to stop there for some time). We were happy with the service, but were disappointed with the food. I ordered a 1/4 rack of ribs, wet style, and my friend ordered Jambalaya. My ribs were a bit tough, stringy and chewy, though the sauce was good. My friend didn't feel the Jambalaya had enough spice, so he asked for Tabasco sauce. We were both surprised when he was handed a bottle of sauce that was a different brand from Tabasco (Tabasco is a New Orleans staple, and as this is billed as a New Orleans type restaurant, this should be the sauce of choice). I chose macaroni salad and garlic smashed potatoes as my sides, and cornbread was also served. The potatoes were delicious, but the mac salad was just OK, and the cornbread was disappointing (a bit bland).. I've had better cornbread at other places. We both had dessert; mine was bread pudding (which was the highlight of my meal) and he had pecan pie (I had a taste of it and also found it to be very good). Because we weren't very impressed with the food, we likely won't be returning, I'm sorry to say.