“We were disappointed”

The Beale
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stopped there on Friday, May 24th for dinner (finally; we had been meaning to stop there for some time). We were happy with the service, but were disappointed with the food. I ordered a 1/4 rack of ribs, wet style, and my friend ordered Jambalaya. My ribs were a bit tough, stringy and chewy, though the sauce was good. My friend didn't feel the Jambalaya had enough spice, so he asked for Tabasco sauce. We were both surprised when he was handed a bottle of sauce that was a different brand from Tabasco (Tabasco is a New Orleans staple, and as this is billed as a New Orleans type restaurant, this should be the sauce of choice). I chose macaroni salad and garlic smashed potatoes as my sides, and cornbread was also served. The potatoes were delicious, but the mac salad was just OK, and the cornbread was disappointing (a bit bland).. I've had better cornbread at other places. We both had dessert; mine was bread pudding (which was the highlight of my meal) and he had pecan pie (I had a taste of it and also found it to be very good). Because we weren't very impressed with the food, we likely won't be returning, I'm sorry to say.

There are newer reviews for The Beale

Reviewed May 18, 2013

We've eaten at The Beale many times over the years, but haven't been in for the past 6-8 months or so. But last evening we were looking for comfort food close to home and ended up at the South Ave location. Service was prompt and friendly. I found some nice local microbrew on draft. My shrimp and grits was excellent (perhaps a bit oversalted for my taste) and my wife really enjoyed her cornmeal-fried catfish, and especially the red beans and rice on the side. We have found that the Beale's BBQ has slipped in recent years from what it originally was, but we still think the Southern/Cajun dishes can't be beaten in Rochester.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Beale, by far, has the best fish fry in the city of Rochester. They are smart in using cod versus the traditional haddock. Every Friday the fish is crispy and delicious. They also offer a healthier, but still equally delicious alternative, Cajun Broiled Cod.
The staff is always super friendly and the bartenders make killer drinks.

Highly recommended!!

Reviewed February 16, 2013

The signs are all there – poor service, cutting corners on dishes and other missed details . . . these are the things you notice when a restaurant is on the ropes and fighting for survival. And these are the things I noticed when I was at Beale tonight.

The menu has been slimmed down, and the description of the dishes on the menu barely matched what was delivered to our tables. And what was delivered was bland tasting. No sauces on the tables either, you had to ask for them, and what they gave you was the generic stuff you can buy at Aldis.

The service was slow and perfunctory. Our waiter never offered to refill our empty glasses.

Attention Beale Management: Train your servers or de-hire the ones you currently have. Educate your cooks on the menu.

It was an underwhelming and very below average experience – my wife and I have been going to Beale Street (NKA The Beale) for about 10 years and it is a shadow of what it once was – sadly I have to say: Sticky Lips and Dino BBQ definitively get the nod over The Beale.
Pass on this place until they get new ownership/management.

2  Thank MikeofAmerica
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have to say that we usually go here on Sat night for live music and drinks. I have eaten at this location several times and usually leave with an "okay" feeling about the food/price for my meal. I am never disappointed with the bar area, it's just that the menu seldom changes and the old stand-bys are just that. I'm waiting for a jump start to the old favorites to make it a much more authentic experience. Too many fried items on the menu.

1  Thank Travelpapi153